OMFG

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by link2199, Apr 11, 2009.

1. link2199

link2199 Skutter

What a waste of time, so desperate and forced, old jokes forced into new shells, no explanation for anything at all, just here it is...deal....not the old RD way (remember the blowing up camcorder of the time travellers explanation) so in that vein, 2 hardlight drive holograms without a holly to explain? Come on at least it would have been slightly funny if it was another Queeg style joke of old days but no, shes a new crew member...so why not someone who mattered like bringing kochanski back for lister...afterall it's their purpose to keep him happy and alive, she did a much better job. Last time we saw rimmer, he was kicking death in the balls and jumping through a dimensional gate, where we were lead to believe reality was backward. All we get as an explanation is "9 YEARS LATER" whoop de do, someone decide we just wouldn't care? This should not be the way red dwarf is remembered, I would have much prefered to think them all dead going through the gate than have them come back as washed up old actors who bring their coronation street personalities into RD (Yes Craig I mean you!)

This all in all was a painful half hour and I am only going to watch the next few because it can't get much worse....can it?

Ps. Any money says at the end of the 3 it goes to black with "The End...?" just to keep it open a few more years....Rimmer in a zimmer-frame as red dwarf returns 36 years after it first aired!

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

1) Jokes didn't seem forced to me. Perhaps the lack of laughter track didn't cue you to when you should laugh becaue your mind failed to comprehend the jokes? The jokes are subtle, but well acted. You need to be tuned in to Red Dwarf and what made it funny for it to work. Watching it more than once helps in this regard.

2) Red Dwarf does not do series tie-ups and explinations. Series III totally ignored the fact Lister was pregnant. Did that hurt you to? What about the fact that the future selves was tied up just as cheaply with the camcorder? Selective opinionation, there's no difference here, I don't see your problem.

3) The hologram thing has been mentioned ON SCREEN and will be addressed ON SCREEN so have some paitence and watch the WHOLE THING. You're assuming it's breaking conventions and is just a new crew member when it's been ADDRESSED on screen as a PROBLEM and, quite painfully obviously to anyone with half a pea-brain, the squid is quite clearly Katarina anyway. But again a modocum of intelligence required, I think.

4) Yes, ignoring things is how Red Dwarf is remembered, sorry.

5) She isn't a new member of the crew, you've not seen it all yet. Stop judging till it's over.

6) People age. Get over it. = /

3. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

If a half-crazed skully looking bloke in a black cloak comes calling about a court case, just plead the fifth then and there. :P

4. FelisSapiens

FelisSapiens Third Technician

Yawn...what a boring rant. It had brilliant script...Holly was offline due to water damage because Lister left the water taps on. Im sure she would make a return if a new series appeared. Give it a chance and see it out till the end.

5. link2199

link2199 Skutter

As to you all, you seem to be ranting yourselves in some cases, btw top poster forgot name, but they didn't ignore lister was pregnant, he had the kids and they were returned to the alternate universe. This comes from having watched all the old ones knowing each episode line for line even to the point that 6 of us put a performance of an episode called "Marooned" where there was just me and a friend sat no scripts playing the entire ep out...so don't think I know nothing, oh and beforee you jump on that I may have watched them alot and thats it, I have done for 20 odd years yes but also read the books, like better than life and as those who have will know its a little more sadistic than the episode. If you can't take the critisim of someone elses work, don't try and be cocky. You don't impress anyone with lack of knowledge and facts that don't back up. As to those who found it a rant, I got sick of reading rants on here that prised their stuggling efforts, I mean cat couldn't even the the AWWWEEEEEOOOWWWW! that he was famous for...if that ain't a stuggle I don't know what is.

Grow up and take it, for those who secretly agree and don't wanna admit it to themselves, just don't reply. God I love forums, they write such good scripts when someone can't stand to have their favorite passtime have fun poked at it.

6. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

I hope the DVD comes with a live audience laugh track, its just a part of Red Dwarf you know?

It's not that I need someone to point out when to laugh, its more like I need someone to laugh with, god I'm so lonely.

7. THEBRIT

THEBRIT Third Technician

latest figures say 2mil were laughing with you. Not so lonley then ;-)

I know what you mean. Its awkward.

8. pigster

pigster Skutter

you do realize this is red dwarf you're talking about?

[​IMG]

9. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

What a miserable person you are.

After nine years, I'm surprised that they've pulled it together so well! I do miss the cheesy laughter track, as it made the humour all the more cheeky and added a bit more atmosphere to the show.

Still, each character is identical. The only difference I could see was that Lister appeared a bit more demoralized - of course, that appears to be intentional, as it's referenced a few times by the other characters (primarily the new hologram).

They aren't too old. They scripts aren't bad. I sat and watched Gunmen of the Apocalypse after the first BTE episode last night, and made sure that I watched the characters' behaviour, in addition to the humour.
    It really is similar. Remarkably similar considering the time-frame. I haven't seen the other two BTE episodes, so I can't vouch for them, but at the end of the day, they've done a good job.

Finally, I must point out the following:
    - They had incredible hype, which few programs ever fully satisfy.
    - They haven't been filming or writing RD for 9 years, so you have to tolerate a bit of rustiness.
    - They have nostalgia standing against them now, because the old show is being brought into the present day. It forces you to compare it with itself, which gives it an automatic disadvantage, because no school is ever as good as the old school.

I want another series! I demand it! I am the Duke of Manchester and will give you the funding if you let me sleep on your couch.

10. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

The thing about the cheesy laughter track is that yes, it made all the previous episodes funnier, but it really wouldn't suit the humour in that episode, it was a lot more subtle. I'm really glad they went that way because the show has matured with the fans.

11. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Yes, it was more subtle, but I don't think it should change too fundamentally. People who like Red Dwarf have formed that opinion based on the existing material. I am a sucker for cheesy 80's crap so I am, no doubt, incredibly biased.

The other thing is, any joke seems more subtle when you aren't shown where to laugh by an audience of excitable fantatics:-)

12. Enverage

Enverage Skutter

I had to make an account here just to say, S3 didn't totally ignore the fact Lister was pregnant, sure it was addressed in a half-hearted and generally lame manner, but at least there was an explanation, something along the lines of the twins growing at an accelerated rate and being dropped off on some planet, I can't remember the "specifics" but it was all written in the Star-Wars-esque monologue at the beginning of the episode, along with the explanation of Holly having a sex change to look like Hilly, it also addressed probably the most important fact that Kryten was now on board the ship. Similarly, at least there was the camcorder scene in S7, it was cheap, but at least it was there, at least they thought "Well we can't just leave it at that and start a whole new branch of the story with no explanation whatsoever", like they appear to have done in Back To Earth.

Also, opinionation isn't a word so I'm unsure what you're trying to say at the end, but you say "there's no difference here", yes there is. It's a difference that's staring you in the face I don't understand why you can't get it, the explanations for Lister's pregnancy etc, were half-heartedly put together, and very brief, never to be heard of again, but at least the explanations were there, I watched the opening of S7 and thought, ok well that wasn't an awesome explanation, but at least there was one, now we can move on and just enjoy this new-look RD, however, for the first episode in roughly a decade to simply start with "9 years later", with absolutely no mention of any of the events of "Only the good..." I thought was a very poor choice on behalf of Naylor, anything would've done, just something to tide the fans over, to ease the casual frustration of all of those people over the past years who have always said "I wonder what happened..."

13. MacabreMagpie

To be honest, I think it was probably not solved because of time issues. This originally a two-parter in which there wasnt enough time and we know that Doug has gone as far as to cut out the opening titles before rather than losing scenes so it was probably not mentioned for that reason.

When the DVD comes out I would be very surprised if they don't address the issue in an extra.

Also, don't forget that the movie was going to be set in an alternate reality and not follow on from series 8 so who says the same isn't being done here?

I agree that it would have been nice to have had more closure to series 8 (imagine watching that series and these specials together!) but, when you consider the limitations of these specials in terms of budget, time and other things then it's a sacrifice that can be forgiven, I think.

14. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Isnt it funny how all the critisism has come from people with 1 or 2 posts to their name.

15. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

This all in all was a painful half hour and I am only going to watch the next few because it can't get much worse....can it?

I think Red Dwarf can live without moron viewers like you... can't it???

YES!!!! Now get lost.

16. MacabreMagpie

Everytime I watch that episode back it just gets better and better. I've probably seen it 4-5 times now. It's a shame you can't enjoy it but doesn't mean you should resent those that do ;-)

17. ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001 Skutter

18. RossPK

RossPK Third Technician

I liked it, and I did find it funny in places, although it did seem a little sterile without the laughter, and there was something else which is hard to explain, sort of felt like the scriptwriting was written by an amature or something, maybe it was just because I was drunk.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see so many people liking it, I was expecting everyone to not like it because no one seemed to like series 8 which I thought was brilliant (really can't understand how it was supposed to be bad).

19. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Haha.

I love how people are trying to argue the scrolling Star Wars text was better than what we had last night in terms of plot resolution.

I can't even be bothered to argue that one, it's nonsense. I bet 99% of people couldn't be ass'd reading that long text anyway. I for one never did.

Good God there's some really difficult people around. :roll:

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Well despite the rants I DO believe the laughter track and audience is better and needed. The guys on set benefit from this too Im sure, Charles has always come across as someone who needs the attention of a live audience to bring out the best in him, lets face it.....he's no Brando hehe ;-)