OMFG

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by link2199, Apr 11, 2009.

1. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Why are there so many negative people.

Step out of the box for a moment. Compare this with any of the other episode of Red Dwarf..

It's very similar. They aren't wildly off the mark at all. There has never been true continuity. And no, last nights episode wasn't perfect, even in RD terms.
    Still, nine years off, a shoestring budget and a lot to live up to can have that effect.
    Taking those factors into consideration, well done them - it was watchable, and no, I don't believe it's up to full speed yet either.

However, in their defence, if this is a movie cut into three parts, most of the action probably wouldn't be in episode one. What's more, chopping it at the relevant scene is a by-product of something that isn't episodic in nature. That explains why it just *ended* without a strange cliffhanger. It didn't really need one anyway. It's only a 24 hour wait until the next instalment.

2. link2199

link2199 Skutter

Enverage : THIS IS FOR YOU, I AM MISS QUOTED THERE MY FRIEND...

RE: OMFG
    Posted Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 08:35 NEW

Milek wrote:

2) Red Dwarf does not do series tie-ups and explinations. Series III totally ignored the fact Lister was pregnant. Did that hurt you to? What about the fact that the future selves was tied up just as cheaply with the camcorder? Selective opinionation, there's no difference here, I don't see your problem.

I had to make an account here just to say, S3 didn't totally ignore the fact Lister was pregnant, sure it was addressed in a half-hearted and generally lame manner, but at least there was an explanation, something along the lines of the twins growing at an accelerated rate and being dropped off on some planet, I can't remember the "specifics" but it was all written in the Star-Wars-esque monologue at the beginning of the episode, along with the explanation of Holly having a sex change to look like Hilly, it also addressed probably the most important fact that Kryten was now on board the ship. Similarly, at least there was the camcorder scene in S7, it was cheap, but at least it was there, at least they thought "Well we can't just leave it at that and start a whole new branch of the story with no explanation whatsoever", like they appear to have done in Back To Earth.

Also, opinionation isn't a word so I'm unsure what you're trying to say at the end, but you say "there's no difference here", yes there is. It's a difference that's staring you in the face I don't understand why you can't get it, the explanations for Lister's pregnancy etc, were half-heartedly put together, and very brief, never to be heard of again, but at least the explanations were there, I watched the opening of S7 and thought, ok well that wasn't an awesome explanation, but at least there was one, now we can move on and just enjoy this new-look RD, however, for the first episode in roughly a decade to simply start with "9 years later", with absolutely no mention of any of the events of "Only the good..." I thought was a very poor choice on behalf of Naylor, anything would've done, just something to tide the fans over, to ease the casual frustration of all of those people over the past years who have always said "I wonder what happened..."

.....this was from the guy who disagreed with me posted 2nd on this topic, I actually correct him further down the list...and to correct again, it was at the end of series 2 not three! Just had to clear that up matey, not offence meant, honest mistake from the way it was wrote but you totally grasped my point here, no explanation was a weak start, so many people think a bad review is a haters review, I adored this show in its entirity and this granted only 1 writer and old actors, suffered the age of time, like many people hate re-hashes of superb films destroyed by new effects and such, RD suffered the similar fate I felt here, it felt forced and struggled to emphasise a laugh point, I chuckled at some parts, but it wasn't the dwarf of ye old days. I am glad having read some that others are able to critique something that they love, shows integrity where others show stupidity. *they scored only 4% I think ;-) *

3. Briggsja

Briggsja Skutter

Questoin : Kat spells hes name with a K doesnt he? then why does he refure to himself as "Mr. C"

4. connell

connell First Technician

No he calls himself Cat :-D

5. connell

connell First Technician

No he calls himself Cat :-D

6. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

And why his belt says Cat... Failure

7. Schluffy

Schluffy Skutter

Ok im just going to say it. I dont like the concept of them going to what would be our world and becoming self aware. It doesnt seem to gell with me (even with the things that have been in previous red dwarf episodes this is a bit too out there for my liking) and im shocked no one has mentioned this but has anyone else noticed the concept is very close to that of the League of Gentelmen film??

8. gwynnie86

gwynnie86 Third Technician

Wow, some people take things way too personally. There's no need to start calling each other stupid just because someone might not share your point of view, unless of course you are 12. ;-). No names mentioned. (And if anyone goes "ooh, you only have 2 posts", I was on the TORDFC forums and have been in the fanclub for about 11 years)

I'm waiting until tomorrow before I truly make up my mind. But overall I'm quite disappointed... I suspected it would be of series 9 quality though, really, and I wasn't wrong. Such a cheap twist.

And as for Lister's babies between series 2 and 3, there was apparently an episode planned in between them, which was never made. I actually tried to write the missing script years ago if anyone is interested in seeing, although I've just emailed it to the fanclub magazine to see if they wanna print it. Maybe now I'll have to write "series 9" (wishful thinking, Dougie).

9. Spidery_Yoda

Spidery_Yoda Skutter

Agree completely. Yes I signed up just to say this. Despite my post count i've been a Red Dwarf fan since series 1 etc etc.

But part 2 was just painful to watch. He's ruined it. Ruined it. In one scene he completely invalidated every single series of the show by saying none of it was real. The concept of them coming to 'our' universe where they're just characters on Red Dwarf is not only anticlimactic, a massive let down, and downright frustrating at the thought of it, but it's been done before, word for word, in the League of Gentlemen film (which I also didn't like at all because of what it did).

I'm sorry but to be honest i'd much rather part 2 just didn't exist and that i'd never seen it. It has forever tainted the rest of the show :-(.

Sure it made me laugh (the part about the DVD's especially), but so what when he's done THAT to the program :-(

10. link2199

link2199 Skutter

I was wrong just watched ep2....it got worse! and what the hell have they done? This is a whole new low, can't see how they'd recover this mess in the last ep now. And for the poster who commented it was like LOG story, bang on matey, it is JUST like that, such a shame!

11. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Don't be daft. It's exactly the same senseless antics that they get up to in every other RD episode. It's all good.

I'm not picking on you personally, but the stuff I've heard so far is:
    - Terrible sets
    - Terrible jokes
    - Terrible and unrealistic plots
    - Making a mockery of itself

That IS Red Dwarf, you imbeciles:twisted: It's what sets it apart from the rest. They've done good.

12. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

who says this is our world?? its a reality where RD is a tv show. doesn't have to be ours. If it was then we would have seen the series 9 and 10 mentioned in the ep surely?? just a thought

13. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

America couldn't pull Red Dwarf off...they failed twice. Why make a Red Dwarf version of Blade Runner, hahah! that's crazy...unless this is a simulation game, I'm coo. The first ep got forced laughs outta me...the 2nd ep had me rolling! very funny, but also very weak...teasing us with those two lil smeggin kids and their daddy gettin' to see Red Dwarf series 9 & 10 before we got to see them!!! AHHH!!!! The crew better Holly hop over here to the year 2000 and drop us off a copy or two of those DVD series...PLEASE *hoping that they will magically appear in my DVD collection!!* oh I can't wait! but dang what a rip off!

Maybe they have been mysteriously making series 9 & 10 over the last 10 years, being so sneaky while killing off anyone that tried leaking it out. So I expect to get a 3~disc DVD set this June (or whenever USA is released) ~ 1st Disc (Back to Earth special), 2nd Disc (the lost episodes of series 9), & the 3rd Disc (What You Smeggin Missed from series 10)

14. link2199

link2199 Skutter

Nah it may not be OUR world, it could be a tv world inside a tv world in which they watch tv too and have red dwarf. One flaw, they have DAVE on in that world, judging by that I can assume it is meant to be ours remember the time it took them to realease the red dwarf dvd's in the UK, back to earth could be only due for release in 2012 (I know meant for june or something, but they said 2 months between 1234 and 5678 box sets coming out, it turned out to be 2.5years of waiting) and this could be set a couple of years ahead of us as I don't remember much about the date said, just 21st cewntury. Anyhow, one line "We're not real!" Invalidates all Eight series. Shameful cop-out!

15. arpanaut

arpanaut Skutter

They broke the fourth wall. This is unforgivable. I was really looking forward to the comeback but it was seriously phoned in.
    Plus WTF does Red Dwarf have to do with Coronation Street? The creators had 10 years to think of something better than a few nods in the direction of Blade Runner. I might be watching Lost when Ep 3 is broadcast. I am very disappointed.

16. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

i thought it was fantastic!!!!
    and altho im happy to hear ppls opinions(MILEK)
    i think the rest of this conversation should just be between ppl with brains larger then a grape

17. link2199

link2199 Skutter

refer to a previous post....not a hater just critiquing! pps, I started this topic so suggest go start your own if you can't be tollerent!!!

18. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

and wow, what an opinion you have, lol! It is lame that they rub it in our faces, taking the show to our time ~ playing the promotional vids during the show, having our DVD series, telling us of 2 series that we probably will never see. but still, the episodes keep gettin funnier. I couldn't stop laughing after Rimmer pushed that annoying Hologram chick into the speeding car!! lol! I applauded that!!! She has been buggin the SMEG outta me! but too bad cause she'll be back. even if so, that scene was totally worth it!

19. Epostile

Epostile Skutter

Ok where do I start with this thread? Ok the link to Coronation Street... If anyone here dosnt know then you sure as hell are not a fan of the show and actors. Craig plays a character on the street, so a simple connection there. Danny also plays the starring role in the Storytellers on Cbeebies so we might even see the two puppets?? (I'ld find it amusing, but prob for the wrong reasons) I would love to see Mr Brittas though, would be amusing.

Theres alot of random tie ins all thoughout the episodes, and if you dont follow the actors etc then you wont get it. Simple as that really!

As for the rest, RD will never be as good as you imagined or hoped it will be. Mostly because in your heads you've already written and decided what will happen and when it dosnt happen that way you'll be dissapointed. I'm enjoying the specials and I'm hoping that a new season is coming out of it. I just dont understand why fans of the earier seasons cant enjoy this new special parters. Its the same writers, same actors and (almost) same sets.

If it sounds like it, looks like it, acts like it...

Then it is Red Dwarf. Any real RD fan knows that its not a serious Sci-fi, its a piss take plan and simple. Something that was created to make Sci-fi funny.

And that it does!

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

this i dont understand... where to people see a piss take of sci fi? in the past red dwarf has had alot of very original sci fi ideas that u could take so seriously like "The Inqusiter" or "justice"

it wasnt a case of taking the piss out of sci fi, it was more making sci fi funny, "polymorph" maybe being an exception but it was done in a very original way

part 1 felt more like red dwarf to me

part 2 felt like comic relief sketch

part 3... i sense plot holes galore haha