OMFG

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by link2199, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Epostile

Epostile Skutter

I remember when it all started, and it was clearly remarked that it was a Sci-fi not to be taken seriously. The fact there are so many plotholes (there IS only one plot, Lister is the only human alive and he wants to go home) etc shows this. The fact that Grant and Naylor didnt give so much a thought to end of season to new season crossovers.

Its no more serious than the I.T. Crowd or 2 pints and a packet of crisps. Its a 1980's/90's sitcom, no more no less and I love it for it!

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was like number 3 in the top 10 sci fi shows on channel 4 a few years back, so it dont just appeal to comedy fans

3. Epostile

Epostile Skutter

It didnt reach number 1?

Damn, thats a shame :-(

It dosnt change its origins and what makes it great though.

4. metalmunki

metalmunki Skutter

Funny in the same way that BtE part 2 wasn't funny?

Explain to me how post count is relevant in any way to a person's valid opinion. I'm a big Red Dwarf fan, and I'm not any less of a fan because I thought last night's episode was seriously in danger of circling the drain - we'll see what the conclusion brings.

But this goes for all you high and mighty 'high post count' apologists:

fans of RED DWARF were not happy with this episode. fans of RED DWARF are not synonymous with people who try convince others that something is better than it is.

This isn't a love-in. It's a fan forum. Fan's are naturally protective of what they are a fans of, and that means being critical when it is called for.

For the record, I had no problem with season 7 or 8. But last night's 'Dwarf was very far removed from the great comedy that RD is famous for.

I wasn't going to weigh in on my opinion so early, but those of you trashing people because they are posting their thoughts on the episode (which are valid good OR bad) with pathetic excuses like 'post counts' and 'whining' are missing the point entirely when it comes to healthy criticism.

The fact that people are taking the time to register ont he forum to post that they didn't care for it should SPEAK VOLUMES about the quality of the episode for the same reason customer complaints for companies in general are taken seriously.

That is all.

5. Absolute

Absolute Skutter

I'm sorry but I didn't realise that Victor Meldrew's character had escaped to this forum. :lol:

Personally, I actually enjoyed the 2 episodes I've seen so far. I thought that the special effects in some places were pretty amazing, and it was great to see the Red Dwarf Ship come to life more with the CGI. Was cool, and i'm glad i've had to chance to see it.

Personally, the new episodes for me are just going to be a reminiscing time, where I get to remember about how good the show was back when I was a kid. If you missed the point of that, then I guess you need a load of fish to fall on you whilst your sleeping. The forum members can only live in hope.

To the original poster, shouldn't you be sending letters for Ann Robinson to read out... ? :-)

6. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I think some explanation to which rimmer it is should have been given, no matter how short of time they are

7. dynamostia

dynamostia Third Technician

I honestly dont understand how anyone calling themselves a fan of RD can be happy with BtE. It was said it was going to get much better in the second part and it hasn't. Talk about killing a wonderful show stone dead.. The plot is dire, and if there are any jokes they past me by. I still haven't been able to laugh at anything in the show. RD used to be hilarious, what we are witness to now is dreadful.

And for all of those who are suggesting that its funny, I really wonder for your sanity.

8. link2199

link2199 Skutter

As I started this thread ("Absolute": grow up and take it as a majority of others have echoed my sentiments here) I should point out that as its clear some unfortunatly not all true RD fans are able to accept that its not great and has lost what made it great.
    Whats annoying is people can't stand to say their thoughts aloud for fear people would point and say "Your not a real dwarfer!" I know many that are fanatical about RD other than myself who all agree, doesn't make them less a Dwarfer than anyone else, remember guys its a forum, people air their views here, none of us have pride on the line for disagreeing with someone else, theres forum threads arguing how great it was to watch BtE, go there if you don't agree with people on its lacking. Wouldn't it be better for all if you just posted toward those who are in agreement with you? I don't shout at people or call them for loving it, your choice. Take it as final people all have differing veiws. agree or disagree, please stop the takeing it personally. and as to the aformentioned quote. Well said!

9. Jimeze

Jimeze Skutter

I was in the 1% that actually read the scrolling text in series 3, explained a lot of stuff that did.

10. Jimeze

Jimeze Skutter

I was in the 1% that actually read the scrolling text in series 3, explained a lot of stuff that did.

11. FelisSapiens

FelisSapiens Third Technician

I have always been a fan..from day it first came on TV and I couldnt dis-agree more....most of you want the old format...propb really is with you..cant accept change..you will be moaning that a loaf of bread used to cost 28p and 'when we were kids...'...give it a rest. It is really not that bad!

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

fans apparently loved series 8 when it was released, i hear it dropped in favour quite abit after 9 years :P

the cult of red dwarf fandom seems to be more interested in keeping the show alive then the quality of the show

13. bungle2005

bungle2005 Skutter

Having read the comments so far in this thread, I'm going to add my own:

1: Plot holes.
    Red Dwarf has always had it's share of plot holes, some are small and acceptable, others less so. The "Star Wars" text (which was a scripted joke in itself) attempted to cover some of the bigger plot holes between series 2 and 3, such as Lister's missing babies and Holly's head sex change. I even remember reading somewhere (though maybe not in that text) about how Kryten came to suddenly re-appear as part of the crew.
    The new episodes, rather than leaving plot holes, have invented inaccurate history leaving us all collectively saying "Huh?". Rimmer is a hologram again, well maybe he died at the end of series 8 after all, who knows? Who cares?
    New crew members have been created all through the Red Dwarf saga. Series 1 and 2, the crew was 169 people, yet in series 4 (Justice) it jumped up about a thousand or so (I'm not going to check for the actual figure). Bit of a plot hole there, don't you think? So let's not complain about the new science officer.

2: Back To Earth Plot.
    Like many, I don't like it. While Red Dwarf has never been the show to take itself too seriously, I agree with the comment made previously about this being like "Comic Relief". That's exactly what it is. The trouble is, this show has not been put together as part of Comic Refief, so we are expecting a stronger story than this.
    I will be watching episode 3 of this run, because I still live in hope that Doug Naylor has got something up his sleeve that will make the first 2 episodes worth it. Let's try and have faith in him. Since Rob Grant and Doug Naylor stopped writing the show together (end of series 6), some of the stories did suffer I feel. Series 7, in my opinion, was not up to scratch. Series 8 though, I thought was more of a return to form, as if Doug Naylor had settled himself into the role (no different to Robert Llewellyn settling into the Kryten role over the course of series 3). Don't forget, it was Doug Naylor who wrote "The Last Human", which was fantastic! Everyone has their ups and downs I guess.
    On a slightly different note, to try and second guess what is going to happen in episode 3; Could it be the "Dispair Squid" making a comeback?

3: Other points raised.
    Laughter track. OK, it's not there, we're used to having it there. Personally I think that a comedy show should be able to show itself without a laughter track, as there are some out there that simply aren't funny enough to go without, and the people watching it do need a prompt for when they should be laughing. Red Dwarf has never previously fallen into this category. I do have a suspision as to why there isn't one though....
    The release of these specials was originally kept secret, until Robert Llewellyn let the cat out of the bag in an interview. The makers confirmed it, and Llewellyn was given a bit of a telling off. Doesn't it stand to reason, that if the shows are secret, then it would not be shown to an audience? *See further explanation below if you need it

Until we see episode 3, let's give it the benefit of the doubt. That final gag may be the one that knocks everything else into a new light, and we will have new elightened sense of who we are, and what it's all about.

These are my opinions. Feel free to disagree, but please be rational about it.

* This is the continued explanation for my laughter track comments. For those who need it.
    Red Dwarf, like many comedy programs, was always filmed in front of a live studio audience (except series 7). The laughter track is provided by that audience. BBC programs with such audiences are open to the public for free, although waiting lists for popular programs are quite lengthly.
    Show with a laughter "track" or "canned laughter", are usually shown to an audience once initial editing is complete. They are shown is a small cinema style room, and the laughter of that audience is recorded and dubbed onto the final edit.
    Tell-tale signs of this are:
    1) Slight degradation of film quality
    2) Performers will not pause properly for laughter to die down before delivering their next line.
    There are occasions where recorded laughter is dubbed, without an audience seeing the show, but this is actually quite rare.
    If your show and the events within are secret, would you show it to the general public before it's release? I think not.
    There is also the fact that these episodes have not been funded by the BBC. I do not know this for certain, but I would think that live studio audiences, or public screenings for laughter track cost a fair bit of money in terms of additional editing, staffing the front of house for the performances, etc. Is the lack of a laughter track merely a cost cutting exercise?

Just a thought, or two.

Thanks for reading.

14. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

I hope the DVD comes with a ton of extras, extended episodes...plus, series 9 & 10...so we know what the smeg is going on...I don't care if it's a cartoon..or still images with Chris Barrie reading and voicing the story..please just something. This special is really sad..sad as in ~ they don't want me to laugh, they want me to cry with Lister when he does, lol! great, maybe they are watching this all on the Dream Recorder.

15. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

To be fair, if it were actually good, I don't think most people would've bothered to register.

Crap does tend to bring people out of the woodwork.

16. grownsomuch09

You mean, those that don't say much..only that they liked it...

yeah...don't see many of their posts.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like 1st ep because of that annoying chick ~ I liked the 2nd a whole lot better, but c'mon ~ the them is whack...but only saying that cause we haven't seen the 3rd yet...but knowing how the 2nd ended and how far they actually got with the story...Wow, I am disappointed... how can this 3rd ep even be that good..22 min to sum up all this crap. I'm not having any faith any of it will be explained...the only thing I can come up with ~ is that none of it really means anything at all..so I don't have to worry about an explanation ~ they're gonna be like "Syke" anyways @ the end.

..but then again, if it cuts off and just ends ~ hmmm ~ guess we'll have to see

I was fine with series 8 being the end. Now they did this? Very risk taking..and Mind Smegging, lol!

17. DaiBando

DaiBando Skutter

why do people have to look for plot holes insted of enjoying a program, i love the humour of RD and want more. the new season is awsome but with 2 major drawbacks.

1) The episodes are not long enough.
    2) The episodes are not long enough.

i realise its only 1 but its such a big one i thought it was worth mentioning twice.

18. link2199

link2199 Skutter

ok last ep is over, last 10 mins made this totlly worth it, to see rimmer smashing his balls into a table andthe sideshow bob style rake scene with kryten and the cat. Thank god they've left it as it was real and not some real LoG smege story. Fingers crossed friends, he hires a new writer to partner with and sorts us out with a season 9 & 10.

bad 2 eps, made good in the end. could have been a train wreck. Got a little lucky I think.

19. grownsomuch09

Yes this was an awesome special.. Put all 3 together and it doesn't suck...With~out the 3rd pulling it's own weight..Red Dwarf could have been lost. But what a way to get me all rattled up!!!

I thought the cgi effects and new look were gonna be just as terrible as watching star wars ep 1, 2, & 3. I'm glad they didn't try and spin~off of those movies. Blade Runner actually worked, but why, haha ~ idunnknow, all I can say is Thank you! =)