On facebook 5 mins ago...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by supercat, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I barely even liked Ace Rimmer in Dimension Jump. Though I have to admit it was a very good performance by Chris Barrie.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

very happy that the series X has finally been given the green light, and i hope no egos will get in the way and that all actors will sign on the dotted line...now we really can start deliberating and hoping over whether naylors new series will be good.:-D

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, it's certainly nice to get official confirmation from the man himself. Oh how i would love to be in that audience (if that actually happens)

In regards to returning charactors, obviously we all have slightly different views about that, but personally i too would be more than happy to see Talkie Toaster again, if used in the right way. I don't feel we need to see either Dwayne or Ace again though, unless the latter helps resolve some uncharterd backstory. As for Dwayne, i personally loved his return in series 6, but still cringe every time i see the Dibby family scene. And thats coming from a self confessed fan of series 8 over all. But as i said, i'd like to see Talkie again..But then the question must be asked (no, not the toast question :-) ) Which model and voice would fans prefere to see/hear return? personally i like the 2nd model - the red one with flashy lights (series 5?) but still prefere the origional voice.

Also, i'll be so pleased if Holly does return...woohoo! the slime's comin' home :-D

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Most actors are just regular people. My understanding is scheduling issues usually get in the way much more often than big heads. Accepting work for a non-actor is a freedom and a personal choice the same applies for performers.

5. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Depends on the actor, and with some who are very big their egos do inflate and get in the way something rotten. Not always the case, but it does happen (just like with normal people). Fortunately this doesn't appear to apply to the boys from the Dwarf.

6. betelgeuse

Well I think the Dwarf lads are older and wiser now, so there should be less ego involved and they seemed to all love getting back together for Back to Earth so i don't see why the shouldnt get together and sign on the dotted line. I just think when actors who have established roles have to sign on the dotted line or are said to be in 'negotiations' the connotations can be that of a diva or a big ego asking for more money to return to the role lol

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

[​IMG]

8. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Just be funny please.
    Really funny.

Like Father Ted funny.

8)

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm probably in a minority, but I don't mind if the new series isn't particularly funny. I can't say that I ever really watched Red Dwarf for the comedy.

I just want the science fiction and story lines to be close to the standard of series 3 to 6. It was those aspects that originally attracted me to the show way back in 1990.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

or red dwarf funny even, we already had father ted funny, it was series 8 :-)

11. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Series 2 was Father Ted funny
    Series 8 was My Family funny.

Luckily, when the jokes fail, there tends to be a intresting sci-fi plotline to fall back on.

12. betelgeuse

Or like Blackadder funny, with Blakes 7 storylines, and red dwarf circa series 3 inventiveness

13. betelgeuse

I completely agree with you. I actually liked series 7 though, mainly due to the sci fi diversity of the series.
    But red dwarf is good, even when its not...if that makes sense lol

14. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

That makes perfect sense.
    It set such a very high standard that even when it failed to reach that high standard, it was still superior to most other things.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Some very interesting details of potential storylines and dare I say....arcs leaking about the new series post DJ. Presuming Doug hasn't just been throwing out deliberate red herrings to people then the most shocking thing about the new series might be the startling reliance these potential episode ideas seem to have on prior Red Dwarf continuity (in a good way not in a contrived or recycled way). They also seem like the sort of strong, character based stories that made the show so enjoyable to people like me.

Either way they already sound light years better than anything we got in series 8 and would seem to fit the age of the cast far better than the gung-ho sci-fi or VI (much as I loved it).

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

you got all that from the news talkie toaster may return ;-)

but no seriously what details?

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think he's referring to things spoken of in the Ganymede and Titan podcasts. Apparently during the special coffee lounge session, one of them asked Doug some more questions and he gave out a few ideas he was planning on going with. I won't spoil it here, but the spoilers are covered broadly in this Den of Geek article. If you want more detail, you can listen to the pod-casts on the G&T website.

The spoilers are in Dwarfcast 28.

I suggest we keep the details quiet here for now, just in case people don't want that stuff spoiled yet, or create a specific spoiler thread labelled clearly.

No doubt other people in on that session heard the information too.

I personally don't think they spoil all that much, mainly story ideas, but no resolutions as such (that I can see).

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

wow the maybe mini possible spoiler ideas are actally quite exciting

19. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

Yeah, I'd say the things discussed in that DwarfCasts are the sort of things you'd get in pre-publicity for an episode: general details, but nothing that spoils what actually happens, which is presumably why Doug was happy to discuss them. Also, he's not actually written the episodes yet, so these are just ideas at the moment.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree. I don't see them as real spoilers to be honest although I deliberatly avoided going into details in case others did, when I listened to your podcast and you guys were advising people to maybe not go any further I thought it was going to be something akin to a huge development like the End of BTE that might spoil an episode or something. In actuality what I heard just made me more excited and interested in this new series because it sounds like exactly the sort of direction I want the show to go in (although I wasn't as excited about the final spoiler you revealed - that for me had the possibility of going into series 8 territory if handled badly but could yet be surprisingly good if handled as in Stasis Leak).