only the good ending ... again

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by kakchris, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

Just thought i would throw in another explanation to the end of series 8.

when Rimmer is in the mirror universe he meets talia again who came to dwarf with the escape pod, so i assume that the virus has been brought onto the ship in the mirror universe aswell. so my bet is the crew get the virus from the ship that starts to decay in the mirror universe cross back over and the virus would rebuild the ship( in a different shape to fit in with back to earth)

am i right in believing that there was other prisoners still on the ship at the time aswell and that rimmer was the highest ranking of those.. or that rimmer was the only person left on the ship??

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

All the other prisoners, minus the ones selected randomly for rescue in the deleted scene, appear to fall into a plot-ho...(cough) worm-hole and are never seen again.

You theory fails though on the grounds that in the mirror universe Talia wouldn't bring the virus onto the ship but the antidote...although to be perfectly honest the mirror universe premise is so loosely contrived and filled with continuity errors that it really doesn't bear examining in such detail.

Did anyone else find it hilarious that they went to the trouble of digitally editing the colour of the testube in the mirror universe to change it from one colour to its opposite as if THAT was the important piece of continuity that would have left viewers in a spin yet they left out the whole explanation (vague as it was) for how they made a mirror universe in the first place?

3. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

I just always thought they "found" a mirror universe machine in a science lab, like the matter paddle was just found lying around in meltdown. Or some such lame excuse to carry the storyline.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That's basically the explanation given in the deleted scene and would have taken all of ten seconds to put into the episode; I'm something else could have been left out for such a vital plot setup. It's made all the more credible by Rimmer basically mocking the way it might be achieved seconds earlier.

It's still a lame excuse, as you say but a hell of a lot more preferable to the alternative many people believed for years and were annoyed at: that they just knocked one up from their own spare knowledge.

Like I say the fact they worried that people would be hung up over the wrong colour test-tube seems ludicrous when compared to the missing explanation for a massive plot contrivance like the mirror universe suddenly turning up.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I always presumed that the prisoners in The Tank either perished in the disintergration of Red Dwarf, or that the Dwarfers tricked them into leaving the ship and abandoning them on some planet.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The dispensing machine stated "They've all gone to the mirror universe." when Rimmer asked. People tend to assume that it means just Lister and co, but that isn't what is said. For all his faults and weaknesses, Lister is quite an ethical person that way, as is Kris and Kryten. I think that as the ship started to fall apart around them they would have let the prisoners free, if possible.

Of course you'd have thought Rimmer would have noticed some kind of disruption or racket caused by the sudden influx of criminal on board the mirror ship but maybe they actually turn into moral upright people in the mirror-verse? Probably not, as Rimmer didn't seem to change mentally... although his counterpart was nowhere to be seen....

On the other hand, maybe the tank was destroyed as the ship fell apart killing all the prisoners.

7. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

i tend to think the tank was in the rear half of the ship the " new " part .. which is once again missing in back to earth .so the dwarf was probably recreated using some cure from the mirror universe, or holly once again created more nanobots and rebuild the ship to its original shape and size. the microbe did not destroy glass so the others coming back should not have been a problem.

i have a feeling these questions may never be answered as it will always keep us talking.