'Only the Good...' Error

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SixthDwarfer, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

When Rimmer crosses over to the parallel dimension in 'Only the Good...' his alternate self is seen as Captain of Red Dwarf. However, since things are opposite in this dimension, shouldn't Lister be the captain? I mean, Rimmer was the second lowest ranking member on the ship and Lister was his only surbordinate. So logically, in this weirdo universe, Lister should be at the top of the chain as Captain and Rimmer should be just beneath him as First Officer?

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I guess it depends on whether the opposition would apply directly to rank or to capability due to character traits. I.e. if Lister applied himself it's possible he would actually overtake Rimmer in rank, probably already outranks him in ability. (In 'our' Dwarf-verse I mean.) That's not to say Rimmer couldn't better himself too as demonstrated by Ace Rimmer, and the heroic ending to out of time but the Mirror universe creates the oposite of the characters current state. Just bear in mind 'state' need not mean 'rank'.

3. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

There are several points like that in Only The Good, for example Rimmer notices he has the opposite sex's organs... but still a male face? But it's a great episode nonetheless, the attention to detail with the quarters being perfectly back-to-front is impressive.

Nothing beats Kryten's banner.

4. SixthDwarfer

I now realise that I totally 'misread' the scene of Rimmer taking a look under the blankets. I always though it was meant to imply that Rimmer (judging by his look of astonishment when seeing Lister's genitalia in 'Bodyswap') wasn't particularly *ahem* well endowed in the joy department and that true to form in the mirror universe he is spectacularly well endowed.

Also, I did like the set mirroring... though didn't they simply film it all in the regular set then 'flip' it later on in post-production? That's what I assumed anyway, with the 'Red Dwarf' tie pins and ID cards being flipped as well.

Oh, and Kryten's banner is just fantastic :lol::lol::lol:, especially the bit afterwards with the giftwrapped tampon!

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yeah, because THAT's the only bit of Only the Good that didn't make sense! :roll: Normally I'd say good spot, but in an episode as badly concieved as Only the Good its rarer to find something that DOES make sense.

I'm pretty confident that WAS the joke and its 'Baxter's Hooch' who's misinterpreted it. It seems a fairly obvious kn*b-gag in a series that sadly relied way too much on that kind of crass humour.

Case in point! Although compared to some of the other stuff such as Archie and the disgusting and unecessary shot of Lister sprinkling pubic hair onto soap this one almost passes as subtle. Its a real shame that Series 8 had to keep sinking to this kind of gutter toilet humour as there were some genuinelly funny gags in it otherwise. It's like the phrase 'less is more' was somehow scrubbed out of Doug's head for this series.

6. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    Didn't the Captain remark in an earlier episode or scene on how he used similar methods to become captain as Rimmer and not stay as the doughnut boy, or am I just remembering a dream.

7. bedfordfalls

Sadly, you're not. I'm hoping that bit has been cut out of the 'xtended' version of back in the red on the DVD version as its part of the needless 'previously on' bit they had to shove into part 3 as there wasn't quite enough material to make it a full three parter.
    Curiously the Red Dwarf Wiki implies this was done to explain his weight gain in series 8 although I always assumed it referred to his job as someone who go the donuts in.

8. SixthDwarfer

Yeah, I always assumed that his job as Dennis the Donut Boy was something similar to Ronald McDonald. I.e. He worked at a Donut shop and was dressed as their mascot or something whilst selling them.

I personally like to think he was demoted from Captain for screwing up operations on LV-426 (He played the ill-fated Weyland-Yutani officer in charge of their base there in the film 'Aliens', though he only appeared in deleted scenes added for the Director's Cut) then worked his way back up with the amount of blackmail he had :lol:.

Mac McDonald doesn't really look noticeabley older in my eyes. Maybe a few more wrinkles, thinner hair and a few inches around the waistband.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Yes, the joke's about the size of Rimmer's penis, not that he's somehow switched gender down there.

And yes, the picture for the reverse universe scenes was flipped, there wasn't a second set built.

10. Baxters_Hooch

Feel like a bit of a wally now...

Oh well, as people seem to say a lot these days, 'my bad'.

Thank you bedfordfalls and Andrew for clearing those two points up for me! Next time I watch that ep it'll be more interesting.

BTW whoever put my screename in inverted commas, why? It's no odder than any others...

11. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Some people like to acknowledge that forum usernames are not that person's human name.

12. bedfordfalls

It's simply to avoid confusion when talking about a username that is also something that appears in the show. If someone has the name 'Kryten' then it might cause misunderstanding between the onscreen character and the forum user. It's not that I recall Baxter's Hooch having any strong opinions on anything during its on-screen time but by putting your name in parenthesis it just indicates I'm talking about a forum user rather than something that appeared in the show.

13. Baxters_Hooch

Ah, that's ok then! Thanks.

14. Starwithastar

Starwithastar Catering Officer

Sorry for going off-topic, but given that this started as a thread about errors, I couldn't resist pointing this out.

A parenthesis is not the same thing as an inverted comma...:roll:

Parentheses (I checked, and that is the correct plural) are more commonly referred to as brackets, like the ones I used earlier in this sentence, whereas inverted commas are sometimes known as speechmarks [like these: ' or "] and were over-used by my upper school headmaster in his newsletters (along with unusual words like rubric and traunch), where he would refer to things like a 'plethora' of exam successes, for instance. Here's an example of his inverted comma addiction in full swing (primarily for my amusement ;-) :-(
    Recognising that every monthly newsletter is important in its ‘communication’ of where we are up to, occasionally and for an array of reasons, we sometimes have one that is rather ‘special’ or ‘extra-important’. This is such a newsletter and I hope that our text to all the school yesterday has kindled a sense of positive ‘anticipation’, for truly the discussions of the next few months could have a profound impact upon our school and community in the future.

To link the above (vaguely) to Only The Good, maybe there's some 'parallel' universe where he's averse to utilising such 'punctuation' so 'excessively'!:lol:

15. Baxters_Hooch

Ugh, school teachers are often like that, I had a few with punctuation, grammar or even facts that were wrong to the point of hypocrisy. Physics teachers are the worst, they don't know what to do if someone in the class already knows about the thing their teaching, and the curriculum teaches it wrongly...

16. SixthDwarfer

On the subject of teachers, my old science teacher at secondary school actually refused to teach evolutionary theory due to his catholocism. Then again, this is the school that forbid us from doing anything for Comic Relief as money from Comic Relief went to funding abortion clinics which is a big no-no in the catholic church.

17. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I love how easy it is to go to a mirror universe. Kryten suggests it then next scene they have a special machine all set up and ready to go.

18. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It's a very badly written episode. I wouldn't worry about it.

19. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

As Rik Mayall once said: "It's quality that counts, not quantity!!"

20. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I just pretend it was made like the Holly Hop Drive.

The mirror reminded me strongly of the episode of Stargate with the quantum mirror.

I didn't even notice this the first two times I watched this episode. That went completly over my head.