Opening music

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DAN_JMC, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Since the new episodes are only 3 in number and form one story, I'm feeling like I don't really want a title sequence showing clips from the shows. I don't want too many spoilers. So I feel it would be a great chance to bring back the series I & II music with a similar title sequence. I just think it would fit, especially as there's no laughter track and it's said to look more filmic.

What do other people think?

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Totally agree, having the type of introduction that Series 1 had would be much better than showing parts of the specials.
    It would fit pefectly with the re-introduction of Red Dwarf and the said filmic feel.

WOW I've got goosebumps..lol..:-D

3. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

was watching "the end" last night and thought exactly the same, how strange! def think something very similar would fit!

4. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I've always preferred the series 1 and 2 opening to later series anyway, I'd be much happier with something like that.

5. rety560

rety560 Skutter

Well if one of the more recent trailers is anything to go by then the old theme music is going to make some kind of appearance! :-D

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I hope so! I also hope we might get some new variations from Howard Goodall, especially at the end.... I'm getting all emotional now :lol:

7. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That model was fantastic, wasn't it? Wonderfully detailed and realistic-looking. The CGI Red Dwarfs have never matched that original model.

9. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I always thought it looked like a giant Airfix kit in space, to be honest. Not that it was a bad thing, but, it's a bit unfair to overestimate it.

In model form, the new ship is superior IMO.

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I like the look of the models, but I like some of the detail that CGI can put in (lights, etc) a cross of the two would've been nice. I hope that the advances in technology mean that the CGI models look real this time.

11. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

Got to Admit the series two tune was brilliant......maker hairs stand on end when listening the first few bars just set it off perfectly.

12. connell

connell First Technician

I remember the first time I heard that music, I'd been watching Red Dwarf on Dave (Series 6 only) I liked that theme tune, then I Came across The end, Future Echoes and Balance Of Power On VHS in a charity shop. I stuck it in and I just sat there, my jaw touching my feet. So spine chilling and excellent. So epic! Shame the video didnt work past the first 10 minutes. It got to Rimmers exam and then according to my VHS he was a fish backwards, then upside down, then black and white and then just a voice on static! Thats when I decided to put out the fire coming out of the VHS. ;-)

13. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's the Youtube account that we've been embedding all the Red Dwarf adverts from.

15. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

lol yeah i just saw that thread now. I dont like this new forum :c

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I'd started watchting Red Dwarf around the time series III came out, but I really got into it when series V and VI were on. Then afterwards the BBC repeated the whole series from episode 1 again and I was really knocked out by the opening theme. Happy memories of growing up, especially going into school on Monday and talking about the shows.

17. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I think the opening of series I and II was impressive but never really carried over the spirit of the show properly. The opening of a show should tell you about its style, its purpose and its genre. The series III style was much more clearly a comedy show. I do lament the loss of the Holly "Additional: " gags. Some of them were brilliant.

I am more a fan of the III to VIII opening. I love the clip montages and, as I've said elsewhere, produced versions of SeriesIII style titles for Series I and II which are now somewhere in the GNP vault/bin.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I know what you're saying, I actually think the opening credits for I and II were right for those series and III onwards were right for those series, but I think the specials require something more like the original music.

19. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I agree the specials would start off well with a Series I-II style opening, although the budget required to re-shoot Craig on the paint scaffold agaisnt a giant F might not nessasarily be worth the budget, just to get it in 16:9 and HD, shame the re-mastered version of the painting scene was not shot in 16:9 really....

...or maybe it was? :eek:

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Also the ship is different from the original and the remastered version. But I'm sure it would be easy enough with CGI, to take craig and inset him into a scene with the new version of Red Dwarf