"Original" Kryten's BIKER's REBELLION

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JJSMEG, Oct 5, 2011.

1. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

I completely forgot Robert Llewelyn didn't appear as 'Kryten' in the character's first appearance; it was a bit unnerving at first actually. As I watched the episode though I began to appreciate this Kryten's neurotic mannerisms and love of gardens; though I think I am ultimately spoiled by Llewelyn's portrayal. Who knew Kryten could be so, erm...rebellious so soon! It seems it took much longer for Kryten to learn "jealousy" much later on :roll::lol:

Any thoughts on Kryten now and then?

2. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I'd never really given Kryten's first appearance (David Ross) too much thought, but now that you mention it, it does seem that this Kryten rebels rather quickly, considering how long it took him to learn to lie or to insult Rimmer and master new emotions in the other series. David Ross was great though, and I loved his "what've you got" at the end :-D
    I like Robert Llewelyn's version of Kryten, the decision to portray him as seviale and a little cracked is a great compliment to the other characters. If he had remained the rebelious Kryten, the other series wouldn't have been so funny.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The garden monologue is really poignant and touching. These sorts of quiet, reflective moments that interspersed the humour in the early series are some of my favourite moments in Dwarf and a style I'd love to see return in a minimalist series 10. It goes from great belly laughs from the audience to moments like these when you can hear a pin drop as people are hanging on the words; much like you get at theatre productions. It's all a far cry from the pantomime atmosphere of series 8.

4. JJSMEG

JJSMEG Third Technician

Yeah I agree, I love Llewelyn's "slow" rise to self reflectiveness (and reflexiveness!); he starts to learn as apposed to original Kryten's quick-off rebellion. I also identify with those particularly touching scenes in Dwarf as well. I like how the show can have an almost goofball sensibility while remaining resolutely aware of the depth of each character and the absurd situation they all "wake up" to find themselves in. A kind of "space comic opera" perhaps :roll::lol: I feel that this aspect of the show was pretty prevalent up until perhaps season VII or VIII though I only saw those once. I am about to finish II and move onto III.

5. 57194q

57194q Guest

i think they should bring back krytens love of gardens in the new series