Other forms the movie could be made into?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jul 17, 2011.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

what other forms could the red dwarf movie be made into? doug spoke about maybe a novel or a stage show, but i myself wouldnt be happy with niether as id think it deserved better :?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I like the idea of an audio version. It could either be in the style of a radio play with sound effects and the main actors voicing their characters, or perhaps something along the lines of Identity Within and Bodysnatcher with Chris Barrie narrating and providing all the voices with accompanying storyboards.

3. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Not sure if the movie script would be the best basis for this (not having seen it, and all) but I'd love a new novel!

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I maintain that a graphic novel would be ideal.

5. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Agreed, I meanI still would like it to be a movie but a graphic novel would be awesome, even if the film is made, I hear that some films get a graphic novel version too. :-)

6. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

That would be awesome! Please say you can make it happen.... *winning smile*

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

If i remember correctly I am sure the first Batman film with Jack Nicholson in it was first released as a graphic/comic book novel, and was pretty much exactly as the film was. That never done the film any harm at all, so if Red Dwarf were released this way there would be no reason it would spoil any chance of a film release at some point later if the chance arose.

I'm all for it.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like the graphic novel idea. Or just a straight novel for that matter - you can actually put even more material in that.

Other than that, maybe an animation adaptation with cast voices. It would depend on the kind of course. If it was a full 3-D* CGI job that could be getting into 'film budget' territory. Or at least it did not so long ago, I think they're a bit cheaper to make now.

*I don't mean 3-D in the 3-D movies/television, 'duck while Starbug comes at ya' sense. I mean the kind of 3 dimensional look you see in Toy Story or Shrek. I'm not saying they should do this mind, I think the look of a 2-D animation would be fine.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

A particularly great example is the comic adaptation of Bramp Stoker's Dracula, the Coppola movie. Hellboy creator Mike Mignola drew them, based on the script and production designs (the comics having to be made before the film came out), and they were so visually interesting that Coppola shot significant moments in the movie using the comic as influence.

10. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Personally, I would like just a script book with plenty of notes and comments from Doug though I realise that possibly wouldn't be the best thing for GNP to do. Plus a book from Doug about all of the trials and tribulations in trying to get funding of course.

I hope that the movie issue can be put to bed at some point anyway. Doug said way back when that he had a different movie script with Miramax and another script that he intended to make himself independently but he couldn't commit himself to working on a big project in case funding for the Dwarf movie came through. Plus he said he had a novel pretty much written. Hopefully some of these ideas and more will come to fruition eventually.

11. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Any of the above or all of the above would do for me....

....hell, even a well put together audio drama would be fun :-)

12. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Rock opera!

14. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Fuzzy felt adventures

15. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

LEGO Red Dwarf video game