Out of character?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Dismembers, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

What are the moments in Red Dwarf where you think one the crew have acted differently, or out of character?

I was thinking about this after I mentioned that Lister burning Rimmer's trunk was a more dastardly move than we usually see from him.

Another one perhaps might be when the Cat said 'Where's Rimmer? he was right behind us' in Better Than Life, as he very rarely calls him that.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't say it was out of character for cat to call him rimmer, he also rarely calls kryten and lister by their name but you will probably find a couple of episodes to which he does like in camille and DNA for kryten alone

While it's rare I don't think it's out of character it's just typical cat to only do it when it suits him

He also says Rimmer in the episode Blue also

3. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Cat rarely speaks to kryten at all...

In 'Marooned' (watch this episode again and look for the interactions), they dont say anything to each other as they approach starbug, once aboard, they dont speak to each other + Rimmer only addresses Kryten.

In the last scene there is a POV shot from the trunk and even though Cat is there, we only see Kryten and Rimmer.

My "Cat doesnt exist and is all in the mind" theory right there :-)

4. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Lister letting Rimmer get raped in series 8, took me a long time to warm to him again first time I watched that one.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That was definitely one of the worst, and was also just really out of place in Red Dwarf in general.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The obvious culprits for me are Kryten and Lister in series 7 from Ouroboros onwards. Kryten we know went terrible with all that nauseating jealousy towards Kochanski, but Lister's character goes off as well throughout this series. I noticed it was all going wrong when I was doing my Dwarfathon earlier this year. As I wrote at the time, I noticed it in the episode's very first Starbug scene before Kochanski had even come aboard:

"Lister seems un-Lister-like, and Kryten yelling: "Oh my god, it's hideous!" and doing a cruel laugh seems wrong."

7. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

People do seem to forget that Kryten was exactly like this in series 3. Just look at Polymorph where Kryten cries when he accidentally insults Rummer's mum.

Perhaps it's just more to do with the hammy acting from that scene in series 7 that makes it so OTT.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I have mixed feelings about rimmer being smug and happy about the death of his brother in Trojan because if you compare his attitude towards his family in BTL and Polymorph it does seem like he should have cared more then he did but I think Doug was going by the caracuture of Rimmer is a selfish smeghead so this is what rimmer would do

I'd like to say it is out of characters but it's not really

9. Slainmonkey

I didn't care for that either, I feel Rimmer really was too much of a smug (borderline sociopathic) git about his brothers death. Trojan had a few really out of character moments though....another being Lister's painfully unfunny hissy fit when he can't pick up the phone and keeping the busted Simulant as a drink stirrer. One of a lot of reasons why Trojan was my second most disliked episodes of series X.

10. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think lister grows up and gets more maturer?

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No, Kryten being aghast at having accidentally insulted Rimmer's mother was fundamentally different from the whiney, jealous Kryten of series 7. It was also really funny - whereas the jealous Kryten was annoying.

12. Slainmonkey

To be honest, I didn't mind th jealousy thing so much later into series VII when it shifted from high pitch whining to Kryten making passive aggressive digs.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes. The worst direction the character went in. Horrible.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't think that's actually what happened. True it's left up to our own imagination to fill in the blanks, but I'd always assumed that as it happened whilst the Cons were on parade the guards would have intervened before things got too out of control and Rimmer would hide away somewhere secure until the effects of the virus wore off.

I've been wondering about this recently. Considering in Confidence and Paranoia neither Lister nor Rimmer seem exactly phased by the deaths of Confidence and Paranoia and Rimmer's reaction to the Mayor of Warsaw combusting right in front of him is to just basically shrug and step over his remains, is it necessarily that out of character (OK, they were hallucinations somehow made flesh, but still at that point they were the nearest thing to other humans they'd encountered apart from Cat and the priest)? In Me2 Lister executes Rimmer 2 without any remorse or hesitation and the very existence of Holograms aboard ships implies that death in service is a common enough occurrence that an electronic backup is considered necessary or at least desirable.

I agree that it seems a bit of character that they make no effort at all to rescue her, but I just wonder if it's really that out of kilter considering previous reactions.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I ain't fond of tha ending where she trips over a box and flushes herself into space, very weak and silly

I think Doug was depending on silly being funny

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I think that goes for the character as a whole though, the idea of everything she does being wrong even down to having her glasses on upside down was more than a little daft and seemed a bit more fitting of something on CBBC/CITV aimed at ten year olds.

They'd have to find some way to write her out of it, there was just no longevity in that character as it was.

17. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

True, but as it stands Lister did want it to happen to Rimmer which is bad enough. Meanwhile the other prisoners were quite close to Rimmer and things happened quite fast, so no-matter how soon they intervened (the guards were quite sadistic themselves) something traumatic would have happened. It's just a very badly thought out scenario anyway you look at it and doesn't fit with all these years of building Lister as "the good guy" (which I doubted sometimes anyway :roll:)

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I like the joke pay off at the end but her tripping on a box and flushing herself into space just looked way too silly

It's like lister humping the despensing Machine which also looked silly and it's hard to work out whether it was just badly directed or if it was just something that was just never gonna work, it was what rob grant would call pony

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I don't know that Lister did necessarily, I think he wanted Rimmer to get a bit of unwanted attention and I think he either didn't think things through completely or was banking on the guards intervening which is why he did it in public in full view of everyone. I don't think that this necessarily paints Lister as a wanting to see Rimmer get sexually assaulted. I agree that it wasn't particularly well thought through, but IMO that goes for a lot of Series VIII in general.

No argument from me, I guess I just see the whole character as way too silly as well.

20. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Blimey :shock:

Do you actually think that? Do you really think that there was intention from either Doug's part (the writing) or Ed's part (the directing) to make the viewer assume that a) Rimmer got raped and b) Lister 'let' him get raped?

Wow. You need to give your head a shake.

When I saw it, I thought, "Hehe, Rimmer is getting a few snogs and slobbering off some blokes!" Not that he's being raped after the credits roll. Again, blimey...

In the style of Blackadder.... "You've read so much into this scene that the town of Reading reads reading books dedicated to how much you've read into this."