Over the top effects?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Every time I look for any up to date news about the new shows, the main emphasis is on the special effects. Does it really need it? Red Dwarf was at its best when it had the same budget as button moon; its the comedy that makes the show. They tried all the cgi in series 7 and it looked rubbish. I would be happy with the season 1 and 2 set as long as the script is well written and it feels like dwarf. From the end of season 5, every season got a little less dwarf like. Is this one a step to far? No holly? no live audience? I love the background laughter on sitcoms.

I hope it isn't another Star Wars! The original triolay was fantastic, look what they did with the prequels! All that money spent on effects and CGI but it wasn't star wars! Everyone had such high hopes!

Sorry to sound so negotive, I am looking forward to the shows but am worried that even after all the bad feedback about series 7 and 8, it still wont be 'proper dwarf' again!

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Tacky affects can add to the comedy certainly. However, good affects and good comedy are NOT mutually exclusive. It DOES mean that one has to rely on the writing and actors to bring the comedy across. And that should always be the case anyway, and something that Dwarf never really failed to do. Okay, maybe in part in series 8, but there was plenty of funny stuff even then, and humour is subjective anyway.

3. doggett

doggett Second Technician

I want to see a really cool CGI starbug shot like in the remastered version of Tikka to Ride !

I wonder what the Leviathan is ...

4. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

You want to check out the effects? See the latest Space Corps Directive update. Those effects are SMEGGING AWESOME!!!I
    And remember, Series 7's CGI was rushed and low-budget.

5. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Frankly the effects are the best I've seen, possibly of any Sci-Fi production for TV ever. Infact considering the high-definition nature of them, it seems even Doctor Who is lagging behind this in terms of production value? Not sure how that came about, but shan't complain!

As has been said, its not naff props and effects that make it funny, infact they can make things worse if used incorrectly. And CGI and props that are humorous should be designed that way, but everything else should look as good as possible, and Red Dwarf have always *tried* to get the best production value they could on a shoestring.

A good example is the Rimmer loading gag from Series VI. Cutting edge at the time, and still dosen't look "naff" now (though as we can see, it can be done SO much better now) - but yet it's comedy value was high.

This time they seem to have finally got there.

6. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Considering the use of Red Cameras plus the SFX genius from LotR then you've struck gold :-D

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I'd suggest a look at the DVD documentaries. Because whatever your favourite comedy episode, chances are the docs mostly talked about production elements - lights, sets, costumes...and effects. (Which, of course, involve the actors, so are 'personal' as well as 'mechanical'.)

Because the only way to talk ABOUT a comedy scene is to quote it. Which ruins the gags if you're yet to watch the scene, and doesn't live up to the jokes if you have (in fact you just cut to a clip). Also, there's something kinda smug about a load of people who WOULD say a thing was funny insisting that yes, it really is. Something that's a matter of taste, not fact.

So yeah, we talk about the practical elements of filming. That's the nature of production documentary, though, not the shows themselves. Which have way more to offer than just FX.

8. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Well hopefully, there will be a nice mix of everything. From looking at the photo of the new bunk room, all listers old photos are there, he is wearing is series 5 gear.... Hopefully the first episode will be quite nostalgic before moving onto the action :-)

9. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I don't think there will be that many FX, who is funding this new show?!? Maybe that's why its been set on earth to keep it to a low budget?

But as long as its funny it doesn't really matter, having said that nothing I have seen so far has been funny! ITs just clips telling you its back. We know that!!

I hope it will be good, god its got to be better that series 7 & 8!!