Paranormal experiences - have you had any?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by R.I.P. 2000, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Pumpkinikki

Pumpkinikki Console Officer

I do have a couple I guess. I'll try to remember them all. But spread them out over the month. Cos the forum should be Halloween themed for the whole month.

One of the places I lived in as a kid had a really bad feeling about it. I couldn't explain it properly. It wasn't like an old spooky house either, just a tiny house on a council estate. It wasn't just a bad feeling though, there was some weird stuff that happened too. Some things could be explained as faulty electronics like the tv randomly switching itself off.

Somewhat stranger were things like my electric piano/organ that just carried on playing by itself when I had finished playing one time...which not only was a friend there to witness, but we actually "caught on tape" (only audio though - just an old tape recorder haha). When we played it back you could hear the fear in my voice when I said "That's never happened IN MY LIFE!" Which is sort of amusing now, thinking about it.

The really weird one though...I was in my front room with my family on a Saturday night and I could hear what sounded like footsteps upstairs, probably in my room as it was directly over the living room. My family just sort of ignored me when I pointed it out as I had a tendency to get a bit over excited about things at that age I guess.

Later on though, my parents fell asleep in the front room and I must have too, cos my brother woke me up saying "Nik...you know you said you heard someone walking around upstairs? I just heard it too". And suddenly even louder footsteps could be heard :/

It must've been loud cos it woke my dad up. He got up out of his chair, grabbed my brother's cricket bat, and went storming upstairs aggressively (lol). But then there was another weird noise....my alarm clock, that had once crowed like a cockerel - but the alarm hadn't worked for 3 years and I just used it as a clock - started yelling it's head off with it's stupid crowing and shouting "Good morning!"

My dad came down with the clock...still yelling it's crap off, even though the alarm setting was not even on the time it currently was. He took it outside and whacked it with the bat to shut it up. But had no explanation as to why it happened or what the footstep noises upstairs were.

At some point I must've told one of my neighbours, cos she laughed and said it was probably the nasty old lady who died in the house and hated kids and put glass all over her garden cos she hated cats too, and wanted them to cut themselves. I thought she was making it up, but when I asked my mum about it she got annoyed at my neighbour for telling me and told me not to get any stupid ideas in my head about ghosts.

2. squeal mold

squeal mold Flight Co-Ordinator

Lots of houses creak it's often due to the materials in it expanding and contracting, or warping. My friends house creaked so bad you'd swear blind there were people in it all the time when it was empty

3. Pumpkinikki

Maybe, but how do you explain the alarm clock? Or indeed my father's attitude of "A ghost? I will effing twat it!"

R.I.P. 2000 and BigOleMummy like this.
  4. squeal mold

Lol, dunno! Mechanical objects go wrong, frequently. It's only because we remember the specific times that they go wrong during significant moments (I.e a power cut during our favourite movie), lightning at times of sorrow etc, that we give them qualities that they don't really deserve. I call it the song on the radio I was just thinking about effect

5. Pumpkinikki

Radio? I will effing twat it!

6. squeal mold

Lol. I didn't mean to belittle anybody experiences by the way. I do believe odd things can and do happen, but I also happen to believe that there's a lot of stuff that happens that gets attributed to supernatural or abnormal that isn't .

Does anyone remember that bbc2 show not along ago called nature's strangest events? That had some really cool weird stuff in it, that was actually all pretty normal when explained, it was hosted by Chris packham and was really fascinating.

7. Pumpkinikki

Chris Packham? I will effing twat him!

8. squeal mold

Nikki, you, and your dad, should both wear the classic red dwarf 'twat it' T-shirt!!!

Pumpkinikki likes this.
  9. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

The fact that he took the clock outside and spontaneously pulverised it suggests he was genuinely on edge about the footsteps!! Great anecdote :-)

BigOleMummy and Pumpkinikki like this.
  10. Pumpkinikki

Nah he was just annoyed that it wouldn't shutup haha.

Anyway, here's another story for you. I took on my older brother's paper round when I was 12 (which I believe is actually illegal - you have to be 13 at least right? Call the police!) cos he was 16 and had a new job in a shop. My friend used to tag along with me, mostly cos he was bored and lonely but also definitely because I make excellent company, oh yes I do.

There was this one house that was really rundown outside and each week the papers I delivered just seemed to add to the pile of other papers I had been delivering for months, along with loads of mail (the door was glass, that's how we could see). After almost a year of this, my friend began telling me it was probably that the person was just in the house, dead, and unable to collect their papers etc. Cos yano...dead. I told him to shutup, but I was admittedly creeped out by this house after that, especially when the evenings got darker and I had to deliver papers along there in the dark.

During the October half term (ha - halloween!), I delivered the papers during the day, my friend tagging along as usual. We got to the creepy house and my friend pointed out that there was a doorbell that had the probable surname of the occupier handwritten on it in shaky handwriting. I was all for ringing the doorbell and running away as I assumed he was telling me to do, but then he suggested we look up the surname and address in the phone book and call and see if anyone answered the phone. I wasn't overly keen, but he pressured me into it.

The first time we called there was ringing, then these weird sounds - almost like a fax machine but not quite. They were more...musical? And the notes had a wide range. It was creeping me out anyway so I slammed the phone down. Although a few days later my friend wanted to call it again to see if the same thing happened and I admit I WAS curious now. So we called again.

Very similar to start off with...although the tones seemed to be somewhat different. This time we stayed on the line though. After a while the sounds disappeared...and it seemed to be dialling/ringing again...but the pitch was different :/ After a few rings this tiny little woman's voice said "Hellooooooo?" which I didn't like at all, but my friend was all all over it and going "Hello?" back. But the woman didn't seem to hear him or just didn't answer. However, the line never went dead. When we asked other people about that house, nobody seemed to know anything about it and assumed it to be empty.

There's probably a completely plausible explanation for this...but in my mind we dialled the past and spoke to the little old lady who later died there and was still in there, dead, whilst her post mounted up. Cos that's clearly what happened ok?

11. squeal mold

My ex used to sometimes deliver pizza leaflets in the evenings for some extra cash. I used to go along with her, and each time she delivered to an empty house I used to tell her that I swore I could hear a baby crying upstairs. It scared the bejesus out of her!

Ant the Dragon and FeeBee like this.
  12. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Maybe the clock was haunted? And walking?

13. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Neil, that sounds exactly like something my friend would do. She loves scaring people.

14. squeal mold

:evil::evil::evil: that's what came of marrying someone who is horror obsessed:lol::lol::lol:

FeeBee likes this.
  15. Pumpkinikki

There really is no other explanation is there?

16. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

So..................... what? About six of us have had....... strange encounters of one form or another. Offhand I would say that's a bit on the high side statistically. Could it be Dwarfer's are more drawn to and open to ideas that don't fit in a box? That the "otherworld" somehow KNEW that Red Dwarf would be a thing one day and.... anointed us so to speak? Or maybe...... that since the U.K. has been settled longer and with more people (over historical time added up), maybe you all just have more "spirits" hanging around? Or maybe................... y'all just have more crackpots?!? :lol: (that's a complete joke now, don't anyone take it the wrong way @Ant E or @neilold . Not that I'm looking at you two in particular.......)

17. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

I've got a good story, but I suppose I should save it up for a week or two.

18. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, well hope its a ZOMBIE story because this thread will be long dead in a couple of weeks! :lol: Yeah, I actually have a spookier one I haven't really mentioned. Too many rational explanations ,but it gave me a scare! Good one for closer to Halloween though.

19. squeal mold

I love scary urban legends, and also the film, urban legend

FeeBee likes this.
  20. squeal mold

Of course what with being a hardcore horror fan I don't ever get scared by anything like that