RDXI / RDXII Pearl Poll

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Václav Claus, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Václav Claus

Václav Claus Deck Sergeant

Pearl poll results will be announced in few minutes. Place to discuss and share your votes.

2. Václav Claus

3. Václav Claus

I'm quite unhappy XII has so bad score. Timewave was bad, but it really doesn't deserves 70th place.

Any opinions??

UltraDevotee likes this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

True, it deserves 73rd.

The results quite annoyed me, but I wasn't expecting much more, to be fair.

5. Christmas Pants

Christmas Pants Science Officer

It’s usually biased. They’ve never really got over the fact red dwarf has had six more series since season 1993.

AJ Smegface and Václav Claus like this.
  6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Although not all the people who voted were from that site.

313 people took part.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

None of X/XI/XII got into the top 30: the highest ranked X episode was The Beginning in 33rd place, XI's Give & Take was 39th, and XII was for Skipper in 31st (the highest ranked of the Dave era, I'm surprised). My fave of the Dave era, Officer Rimmer, came 44th. Sheesh, tough crowd...

UltraDevotee and Christmas Pants like this.
  8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I blame the Facebook groups and @talkie3000.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Should blame Twitter too.

Abe likes this.
  10. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Feel exactly the same, plus I think XI's been shafted. And I'm surprised (shocked actually) that Lemons is the second best X episode (at 35th place).

Did anyone here have a favourite which wasn't Back to Reality, or their worst episode wasn't Pete or, uh, Timewave? :lol:

Václav Claus likes this.
  11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I had Samsara at the top.

12. Václav Claus

My best was Back to Reality, because I love it, but I should choose Demons & Angels. I don't want them to be worst series V episode.

As worst I voted fo Dear Dave. It really sucks imho.

13. Václav Claus

You were the only one. :-D

Abe likes this.
  14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I noticed.

15. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

My worst was Cured. Think I was the only one. I was also the oldest to take the poll. Totally SHOCKED the Officer Rimmer and Skipper scored so low! They were both in my top 5.

Václav Claus and Abe like this.
  16. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Series 10 and especially 11/12 are superior to series 1 IMHO. Thinking about it although the only episode from series 10-12 that gets a full 10 out of 10 from me is Give and Take (while all the episodes were 10 for me from series 2-6 apart from Terrorform which is a 9), you would surely expect some of those episodes like Fathers and Suns, The Beginning, Officer Rimmer, Twentica, Samsara, Krysis, Cured, Siliconia, Mechocracy and Skipper to reach higher.

I sort of understand why most of the Grant co-writes mostly dominate the top 36 but I am surprised that some of those Dave-era episodes were not at least a bit higher. The Beginning, Skipper and Give and Take I would have expected to rank very high.

Still at least most fans to recognise that the Dave era is better than series 7-9 though like I say it is disappointing that those episodes have not ranked higher.

Another issue I would have with the results is I am surprised that (am I wrong?) series 10’s episodes have fared better than series 11/12s. Series 11 and 12 — while not one hundred per cent like the Grant-era - were the most Dwarfy the show had been in decades since the glory years and a significant improvement on the very good but not all spectacular series 10.

One thing though, I do agree with the Lemons result though - apart from the fact it has finished higher than some of the other series 11/12 episodes - because when I first watched it I thought it was a weak link but a few years later when I saw it again suddenly I realised once you get used to the plot holes it is a superb, highly comical relgious satire. In fact, I think Lemons has some of the greatest comedy of the entire 2012 run.

In conclusion, like I said the Dave-era has not totally been as phenomenal as the Grant co-writes but I would have expected some of those episodes to have charted higher and some like Skipper, The Beginning and Give and Take significantly further up. Series 10-12 are all superior to series 1 IMHO. I can sort of see why there is still a lot of the series 2-6 episodes amongst the top 36 but I would have expected to see some of the Dave-era a bit higher up and a few much more.

17. UltraDevotee

While I would not possibly say that Samsara is totally there or thereabouts up there with the late 1988 to 1993 peak years, it gets a very strong 8.5 out of 10 rating from me for being such an intriguing, brilliantly filmed sci-fi mystery with a good dose of comedy too. I also love all the call backs to series 4’s Justice and remember after first broadcast I was so excited by what I had seen it took me time to fall asleep.

Still perhaps I would not say it is the best ever but it is certainly really good and a very strong hark back to a series 4 episode. The bunkroom scene is very welcome too. Looking forward to watching it again when I embark on my Dwarf marathon later this year. Maybe it might go up to a 9 again even...

Václav Claus and Abe like this.
  18. UltraDevotee

I know I am in probably a minority but I really enjoyed Cured and thought it deserved its position as last year’s series opener. Its darkness was comparable to a series 5/6 episode, therefore giving it a vintage feel while the whole concept of different types of psychopaths was really interesting, clever and quite fresh.

Line-for-line it was one of the top 2 funniest and tightest scripts (along with Give and Take) of the two back-to-back series and I even wonder one day whether it might even go up even higher than the 9 out of 10 it gets from me currently. Still though Skipper remains to be my favourite of series 12 so we’ll have to see!

19. UltraDevotee

Another thing I feel is worth mentioning is I am one who is pleased to see Timewave not at the bottom. Okay it was the least strong of series 12 but I feel the only one of the 2016-2017 episodes that I did not really like was Can of Worms. Okay Timewave did go a bit too surreal and silly with its comedy at times but I personally found most of it really funny. But anyway, I am glad it wasn’t bottom because unlike the abysmal Pete episodes it did at least have a plot.

Václav Claus likes this.
  20. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

"The boys have to warn a ship that it's about to crash into a planet. But can they overcome the overwhelming urge to be completely unwarranted dicks to everyone around them, even to save their own lives? No."