Piecing together a timeline

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Based on information given in The End, Me2, Stasis Leak and Dear Dave:

July 2076: Lister gets dumped by Hayley Summers and joins the JMC.
    September 2076: Hayley Summers posts him a letter saying she's seven weeks pregnant.
    (?) 2076: Hayley Summers posts him a follow-up letter saying it's not his. The first letter hasn't gone yet and it goes in the same post-pod.
    November 25 2076: The Gazpatcho Soup incident.
    Febrary 26 2077: The Freaky Fungus incident.
    March 02 2077: The Stasis Leak incident.
    March ?? 2077: Lister goes into stasis.
    March 23 2077: The accident.

What other events can be slotted in? Is there any other information that narrows down the missing dates? Obviously the years 2076/2077 can be substituted with 2179/2180 because they retconned the year, but there's still a sequence of events. Here is a timeline on Tongue Tied, but it's unsourced, I think a lot of it possibly comes from the novels. For example, it says the two Cat Arks left Red Dwarf in 2,504,181, but I don't know where that date comes from, and it doesn't make sense because it's strongly implied in Waiting For God that the Cat Arks left in the Cat-priest's lifetime, not eons beforehand, because in that case Cat would have met female cats. So what parts of that timeline do you agree with, what parts do you question.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

2155: Baby Lister is found under the pool table.
    2161: 6 year-old Lister's adoptive parents die.
    2167: 12 year-old Lister loses his virginity to Michelle Fisher at the ninth hole of Bootle Municipal Golf Course.
    2169: 14 year-old Lister begins his 10 year stretch as a trolly attendant.
    ? Lister dates Lisa Yates.
    July 2179: Lister gets dumped by Hayley Summers and joins the JMC.
    September 2179: Hayley Summers posts him a letter saying she's seven weeks pregnant.
    ? 2179: Hayley Summers posts him a follow-up letter saying it's not his.
    November 25 2179: The Gazpatcho Soup incident.
    January 2180: Kochanski dumps Lister. He goes to Titan and returns with a pregnant Frankenstein.
    Febrary 26 2180: The Freaky Fungus incident.
    March 02 2180: The Stasis Leak incident.
    March 2180: Lister goes into stasis.
    March 2180: Frankenstein gives birth.
    March 23 2180: The accident.
    2340: Kryten is constructed.
    2482: Nirvanah Crane is born.
    2575: Nirvanah Crane dies and is brought back as a hologram. Holoship leaves Earth.
    2700s: Gemini-12 leaves Earth. Latest reference to regular human civilisation still existing.
    2978075: Lister comes out of stasis.
    2978340: Kryten's 2976000th birthday.

3. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Technician

Here's how I see it.

The second half of The End through to Thanks for the Memory take place over the course of one year exactly. Lister most likely counts the day of his awakening as the date of the nuclear accident, and so would equate that day as Rimmer's 'death day'.

Also, seeing as they aged to be physically eighteen years old after birth, it's not too unlikely that Lister only suffered a few weeks or even days of pregnancy with Jim and Bexley between II & III.

By the time it comes to Holoship, Rimmer tells Captain Platini that he has been "in effective command of Red Dwarf for nearly four years". Unless V takes place over a very short amount of time, and the crew go into Deep Sleep immediately after Back to Reality, it just about ties in with Lister's claim of being twenty-eight in Tikka to Ride, which follows on a few days after the end of VI, which is implied to have taken place over the course of a few months.

The whole thing with Baby Dave is a bit confusing. The epilogue of Ouroboros implies that the crew are still on Starbug, as they have access to the Time Drive (which was presumably destroyed in Back in the Red (Part One)), but in the next two episodes, Kochanski is still getting used to life on Starbug. Perhaps they went into Deep Sleep whilst the embryo developed or, more incredibly, the In-Vitro Machine survived Starbug's crash and the baby was carried to term aboard Red Dwarf.

There must also, logically, be a gap of about a year to eighteen months between Pete (Part Two) and Only the Good.... Hollister has fully recovered from his trauma in the former episode and his hair has grown back. Also, Rimmer must have had a really long period of good behaviour between the two for Hollister to even consider letting him out on parole.

4. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

I always assumed that the end of Ouroboros was a flash-forward, rather than something that had to take place before the next episode started.

5. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Technician

It just strikes me as odd, as otherwise Kochanski must have been carrying the tube of Lister's cum around for all that time.

6. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

Well she had to do that anyway. The only question is whether episodes like Duct Soup happened while she was doing it.

Ah... now you mention it, I never thought that Kochanski was actually pregnant. I presumed the "self-gamet-mixing in-vitro tube" produced a foetus that was incubated outside the body. Otherwise, it would be a bit weird not to show any of the pregnancy on-screen.

The author of in-universe site material makes the same assumption:

Source.

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In Ouroboros, it says "Eighteen Months Later" when Lister takes baby-Lister to the pub. I always interpreted it as happening in that episode, ie that we have fast-forwarded eighteen months and disposed of the baby-storyline.

Makes you wonder, why eighteen months? Normal gestation is obviously nine months. Does it take eighteen months in the gizmo? Or did they want to spend time with it?

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Working backwards from Krysis, we can calculate that Lister came out of stasis in the year 2978075.

Kryten was "born" in 2340 (Back in the Red I)
    In Krysis, he celebrates his 2976000th birthday.
    Therefore, in Krysis it must be the year 2978340.

- 9 years later (BtE)
    - 5/6 years conscious time (BitRI)
    - 50 years deep-sleep (Nanarchy)
    - 200 years deep-sleep (Psirens)
    = 2978075

Though some revisions must be made. There is a gap of a year between Pete II and Only the Good. There is also the overall time for Series VIII, BtE, X and the first four episodes of XI. I don't know if we should count the six months spent on Earth in Lemons, because the "Returner Remote" presumably returns them to the time they left from.

- 1 year (Only the Good . . .)
    - 1 year (The rest?)

= 2978073