PLEASE Stop Comparing Series VI to Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by lewis1992, Oct 25, 2012.

1. lewis1992

lewis1992 Third Technician

EVERYONE STOP COMPLAINING THAT SERIES X IS NOT LIKE SERIES VI !!!!!!

Series VI is 16 years old. The characters have EVOLVED.

Imagine reading a series of novels in which the characters don't age, change or evolve. It's boring and repetitive. Over time, Red Dwarf's audience has also evolved.

If Series VI is what you want, go and watch it. Fan of Red Dwarf X want something new and fresh. Clearly you do not, so good bye.

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Has anyone said that? I've only seen a few people comment that it doesn't feel very much like that era, but that's only in response to a big sense from the filmings that it was. That's very different to just complaining that it's not like a previous series.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Alright.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is like an IMDb message board comment.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

oh...Good bye.

6. a1ph4riu5

a1ph4riu5 Third Technician

Series 6 was 16 years ago?

...smeg!

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I haven't seen "Entangled" yet (hopefully watching it tonight) but have so far enjoyed series X. It's had some good points and bad points - to me, it feels like "average" old Red Dwarf, but a bit more modern. From the three seen so far, in my opinion there's been one stand-out episode (Trojan) and two so-so episodes (F&S and Lemons).

Here's the thing - this is just like any of the other series of Red Dwarf, not just specifically series VI. In fact, I'd sooner compare X to IV as it has more of that "messing about on the ship" feel, with the show trying to find it's legs whilst dealing with the necessities demanded of it (somehow series III felt more coherent and consistent).

People want series X to be great and will compare it to what they feel is the best - in many cases this is series VI, in my case it's basically all of I to VI. And so far, it's holding up well. If you take I to VI as a whole, there are several episodes to go from, many of which will be so-so (personally, I thought Camille was one of these, as well as various others).

Comparing series X to a single series isn't good, as the person will inevitably choose their favourite one and series VI managed to have a string of very, very good episodes (though I personally don't think Gunmen was the fabulousness that everyone else does). But people will always compare because - hey, what else do they have to do? It's human nature. Saw some (not all) of the recent Doctor Who. Asylum Of The Daleks was excellent, everything else (well, I've only seen the first three episodes of the new series) was limp by comparison. Still, it's about right to have some hit episodes and miss episodes. The key is balancing them.

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What? Who are you to dare issue this edict? & in CAPITAL LETTERS as well! People are bound to compare a current series of Red Dwarf to previous series. :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

9. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

10. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Some of the production staff and cast members made comments about going back to the feeling of series V/VI. Doug also commented before the series started that it`s `back to its best`.

Asking for comparisons really.

11. sp8328

sp8328 Skutter

Personally, I thought Red Dwarf 6 was 19 years old......

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its material, not so much the cast or characters

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Bit of both.

14. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Agreed.

The one thing we can say is: at least Series X is better than the pile of horse smeg that was Series VII ;-)

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Okay, Lewis! If you insist. Could you furnish us all with a list of things we're permitted to reference while discussing RDX, to avoid anything like this whole embarrassing mess occurring again, so your valuable time won't be taken up with it in future? ;-) Seriously, I you're right to say things have inevitably moved on, but folk will still compare series as they always have. How else to express your opinion of Red Dwarf than by comparing it to itself? RDX is better than Hyperdrive, though.

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

AND in bold too! Shock, horror! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

17. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

To be fair, so is syphilis

18. Kyleooooh

Kyleooooh Skutter

Red Dwarf VI was made in 1993 that makes it 19 years old ! Personally i dont like to compare any series of Red Dwarf to another every series is individual and should be treated that way in my own opinion

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yes but fortunately Kochanski is still only 31! 8)

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Let's just assume she is one of those women that lies about their age and that Lister is just too smitten to second guess her.