Poll: What Next?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RedDwarffan2982, May 3, 2009.

1. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Just looking (I mean Loooking) thorugh the story boards of Red Dwarf The Movie and was just wondering about...

What would Red Dwarf people like to see next?

1. Red Dwarf Speicals
    2. A full Red Dwarf Series
    3. Red Dwarf The Movie (in Cinemas)
    4. Red Dwarf The Movie (same as above but only on TV)
    5. Should finish with BtE

Me, I would want 3 or if that's too much 4. I'm desprete to see it.

2. RotootHununga

RotootHununga Third Technician

2 followed by 3.

Another series to tie up loose ends and spend more time with our characters (something you won't get to do in a film) and also to raise RD's public profile again before finishing on an awesome film.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I would go for either a last wave of specials or a full series, primarily to wrap things up. It's been over 20 years now since Dwarf first came to our screens, and it has been all but dead for the last 10(ish) of those years. I realise Doug has put a lot of hard work into getting a film, and as much as it would be great to see one it just doesn't look likely to happen.

After so long I'd like to see Dwarf finally go out on a high. Bring back some of the older feel to the shows and tie up the loose ends (or at least some of them, we'd have less to talk about if they were all tied up), then send the boys out with a big bang (not necessarily literally!).

Once things are concluded a movie could still always come based on Doug's ideas and such forth (as if I recall it was something akin to the books in just an alternate reality, sort of starting from scratch again for one big adventure).

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Definitely a new series, or at the very least some more specials.

I never had much enthusiasm about the movie, and I won't be fussed if it never materialises.

5. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

#2 for me please. I must say that I don't want an actual 'end' though. No big finale, no wrapping things up into a neat little parcel. That's one thing I loved about the ending of BtE, it left the boys together on the Dwarf. Sure, leave them safe, leave them with the promise of a happy ending even, but please don't actually show it.

Don't worry, it's just what I want. I realise that not everyone agrees. ;-)

6. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

Definitely 2! Then 3 if they do decide to finish it!

7. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

A series would be my preference, followed by the movie

8. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

A new series.

Preferably of self contained half hour (of actual running time) episodes.

However, I will take whatever I'm given:!:

9. Krytens_spare_head

Krytens_spare_head Second Technician

dont think the movie will ever happen so a new series is probably the best option :-D

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Like most people have said I'm primarily interested in the TV show and don't really care about any "rebooted" movie continuity.

As such I would like another series however I believe we have to ask ourselves whether Doug's solo writing is ideally suited to the half hour format. In both series 7 and 8 he apparently struggled to condense his ideas into suitable half hour timeslots. Back in the Red was conceived as an hour long special but ended up being artificially stretched over three episodes to its detriment. Similarly Pete clearly was also stretched out too long over 2 episodes and its 2nd part is almost universally hated as a result.

Other episodes such as Only the Good were far to underdeveloped and needed more time to explain ridiculous scenarios such as the crew being able to just invent a mirror universe (although I'm now very glad Doug didn't get to film his original "Earth" ending, see later).

Therefore it might be best to give Doug the chance to produce one off Red Dwarf Specials (similar to the four new Futurama movies) these can then broken down for television into "episodes" if necessary. If he does go down this route then I just hope we get the DVD's first (as with Futurama) as BTE showed that watching them as episodes is never really as satisfying as watching them as a whole. Proper episodic writing would never have produced the slow pace of BTE part 1, however that slow pace will seem fine when watching the whole thing as a 60 minute special because its just there to set up the story like the opening of a movie often does.

As for how to end the thing. If there was never another episode of Red Dwarf I'm now far happier with the stutus quo than I was after Only the Good. Please Doug, no more cliffhangers unless you know you can resolve them. You caught lightning in a bottle once with Out of Time but looking back Only the Good was a poor way of trying to catch it for a second time and a dangerous one with no prospect of a future series guaranteed.

I've always said I'm interested in what Doug can do with just the core four cast members (something that will be fresh again after series 7 and 8, (kind of like how original Coke came back to replace New Coke) and I'm glad that he's hopefully restored Kochanski to someone who only appears in cameos and an object for Lister to chase. This is an ideal scenario to get the boys travelling to various systems and planets chasing Kochanski's trail.

How would I like it to end. While I don't mind a Status Quo ending I wouldn't mind an ending that somehow references Stasis Leak. Doug has mentioned on the DVD that Rob Grant was always the one advising him to ignore continuity (despite Doug being directly responsible for some of the most continuity warping episodes ever) so it would be cool if he could do something to acknowledge this ever dangling thread.

Meanwhile the endings of the novels Better than Life and particularly Last Human were two great happy endings that I'd be happy for Doug to use. There are plenty of other good ideas in Last Human that Doug could plunder and make original episodes out of such as what if McGruder had a son...

I just hope we never see the "swapping insurance" ending orignally planned for the canned episode "Earth".

11. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

4. Red Dwarf The Movie (same as above but only on TV)

Followed by:

2. A full Red Dwarf Series

Bring it back with qa bang, a full movie, then a series to follow. If BTE had been presented all in one as it should have been, we would be ready for a series now :/

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Actually, part one was made longer to fit the 20 minute time slot of the episode. The section that consist of 'part 1' in the Director's cut will actually be trimmed down.

I take your point though, and I agree that the longer multi-part episodes of Dwarf tend to be the weakest. On saying that there are sections of the last 2 episodes of Back To Earth, which I think could benefit for a bit more footage. If some of the stuff in episode 1 felt too padded, I thought the last two felt a bit too rushed. Especially episode 3.

As to what I'd like... I think I'd prefer a new series just considering how long it would take to get the film though (although I'd certainly look forward to it if it were announced!) I'd certainly accept more specials as long as they're more self contained and a bit less back referencing. As the first episode out in years, the back referencing made sense as it works as a celebration of the programme as a whole as well as being a new story. It also plays homage to a great film and (possibly) influence, Blade Runner. (Possibly a bit too heavily, although I think the pay-off at the end of episode 3 made sense of this somewhat.) These things are fine, but it's not the kind of thing we should see again too soon.

A full series or 20-30 minute self contained episodes* should deal with this. New specials that happen every couple of years or so might end up falling back on the back referencing** again (although they needn't.)

*When I say 'self contained' I don't mean that there can't be an ongoing arc running through them or continuity. Like series 6's search for Red Dwarf, etc. But each should deal with a specific thing. One two part longer story is acceptible though. In fact longer stories ARE ok, as long as it's warranted, not padded.

**Actually back referencing itself isn't the problem. But it's something that should be done sparingly. A small amount provides continuity with past episodes. A large amount comes across hokey.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The problem with any such movie though is that Doug has written a reboot. His movie has no place in the cannon of the TV show so I'm not sure why or how a new series could follow on from a rebooted movie with a quite different plot without totally confusing things.
    It might be best to finish the TV series before any reboot comes out.

14. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Third Technician

15. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

2 3 2 3 ;-)

16. The_Nimon1

The_Nimon1 Third Technician

17. Kit_Cat

Kit_Cat Third Technician

I reckon a movie would have been excellent, IF it had happend all them years ago, but not now.
    I'd love to see a proper series (or 2). I dont think they can end it now (despite how many people have requested it's death) it'd be like not finishing a book.
    I do think it needs to be wrapped up in some way (as long as the boys arent killed off, that'd be awful!) I'm a sucker for a happy ending and the posse do deserve it. Lister should get the girl, Cat should get his end away (bless him, he hasn't had any action) Rimmer should get all the million things that'd make him happy and Kryton would probably be happy with some new mops or something.

18. pbudden

pbudden Skutter

This did look more like a "Special" that was cut to fit the available time slots. Watching all at once seemed to keep the flow.

The back referencing worked through the series well when dealing with the same problem in another scenario ... examples: Ace Rimmer, Polymorph, Talkie Toaster, The Esperanto, Luck Virus and indeed the Despair Squid. This could work to get new viewers to follow back to previous shows to fill in the details, and origins.
    Granted the reference should be only relevant to the current situation, not just to fill dialogue.

As for the poll, a movie to get the interest of a wider audience and blast back into a series or two.

I wait with baited breath...

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I am probably in a minority but I find the mini-series idea appealing. I actually liked the Dune mini series and quite a few of the short run Sci Fi series form the ealry 2000's like FireFly/Serenity.
    I could see Red Dwarf profitting from that.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Firefly wasn't meant to be a miniseries, it just got cancelled before it was completed. (Considering just how many episodes they make in the US, it still ended up longer than most of our full series though!)

I know what you mean though. I thought it worked well as a complete series and Objects in Space worked as a series finale. It leaves the story open for more, yet still leaves things on a positive note, i.e. (Firefly Spoilers, highlight to read:-( [ the Tams are accepted as members of the crew and River is on the mend. * ] That doesn't mean I wouldn't like more though. There were still unanswered questions.

Actually Back to Earth left me with a similar feeling.

*Firefly and Serenity spoilers: [ I remember reading criticism of the Serenity film as it seemed to reset the Tam's situation somewhat. River is back to being a bit kooky and the captain is back to questioning their roles in the crew again. I thought that was quite believable though. I didn't think River was completely cured at the end of the series, or at the end of Serenity for that matter. It's never as simple as that with such a mental condition. And we're supposed to assume the crew have been through a lot between the series and the film, hence the negativity. ]