polymorph overrated

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, May 2, 2010.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

the episode polymorph from series 3 is a good episode but has flaws, the first 10 mins are funny as hell but then it kinda loses the plot, anyone else think so,

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've never been a big Polymorph fan. However there are a few things I like about the episode:

• The meal prepared with medical instruments near the beginning, especially Cat's wonderful line, "This isn't a meal, this is an autopsy!"
    • Rimmer as a Rolf Harris-type character.
    • The scene with Rimmer's mother. Especially Rimmer's face as he utters the line "Lister and mother...It's a dream come true."

3. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I can't stand the idea that humanity would go to so much trouble engineering the 'perfect warrior', only for it to be a creature that only sucks out it's prey's emotions rather than killing it when it gets the chance. It seems a lost opportunity and a waste of technology to me. Apart from that, I think it's a classic episode.

4. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I really like polymorph but think thats partly to do with it being the very first episode I saw.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think maybe the origins of the Polymorph as dictated in the books made more sense in some ways. I.e it evolved from other gelfs as a survivor on a garbage planet. I say 'some ways' as the idea of a shape-shifter just evolving isn't all that believable (I actually find the genetic engineering explanation makes more sense in that regard), but the fact that it's powers aren't specifically advantageous to human creators makes sense from that origin.

To put it another way the idea of such a being genetically engineered is more believable than evolution, but the reason for it's existence makes more sense from an evolutionary stand-point. Sort of.

6. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Kryten says it's insane. Perhaps it was just untrainable, and instead of hunting the emotions it was told to it went after whatever it felt like.