RDXI Possibly Spoilery Theory for the new Series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by karnie, Oct 21, 2016.

1. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

OK guys, I have a theory about Series XI. It's just a theory, I have no insider knowledge and did not attend any tapings, it's just an observation, but it could possibly be a huge spoiler for next season. So read on at your own risk.

Einstein has been referenced in EVERY episode of Series XI. That can't just be a mistake, I know they like to reference things in the past, but this goes beyond that. So....

If you remember in Series VII, as the crew were escaping Red Dwarf to find the nanobots, Kryten made reference to an SS Einstein, a ship they wanted to get supplies from. Except, that was in a psychotropically-induced hallucination. So...

I think the constant references mean they're in some kind of hallucination/artificial reality/reality bubble throughout the season and possibly the next.

It would certain fit the "series-killing spoiler" Naylor was worried about leaking in the press.

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

That seems a bit convoluted and unsatisfying.

The mentions of Einstein seem too throwaway and subtle to have any sort of significance. Though it is an interesting observation.

Also, I want them to have experienced what we've watched them experience. It's like some crap book ending where the protagonist wakes up and it's all a dream. Almost too cliché, and one that isn't exactly new to them. That does give it some credence; the fact that we've seen the Despair squid saga twice now, but both of those were opposite ends of the scale so different enough (despair vs joy) to be just about acceptable.

If anything I think the big spoiler could take the form of something more basic (though perhaps equally unsatisfying) - getting Holly booted back up or finding out Kochanski's fate.

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Oh I agree, that's the last thing I would actually want... And it wouldn't even make sense in some cases, like the flashbacks to the Samsura crew. But I can't accept that it was an accident that Einstein was mentioned in every episode so far; that goes way beyond the occasional mention of, say, Marilyn Monroe or Hitler.

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I'm not totally sure why people find the flashbacks of Samsara out of place.

Flashbacks were somewhat common in a few early episodes; granted this is the first time we've seen flashbacks that didn't involve the RD crew, but otherwise I thought they helped tell the story better. I'd argue the episode would have been worse without them.

I agree this is an interesting observation. The other thing is I can't remember exactly when in the episodes it was mentioned. This is what makes me think it's a coincidence or a throwaway kind of thing. For it to have any significance, we would surely have to remember those Einstein mentions distinctly.

A bit like in BTE where Cat kept leaving those paper origami squids occasionally - that was a fairly obvious thing rather than the occasional subtle mention of Einstein.

5. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

Interesting to hear Einstein has been mentioned every episode! You are thinking along the lines of a 'Bad Wolf' clue then? :-D

What were the mentions out of interest? Obviously I know they were trying to find him in Twentica - and I caught the one in 'Can Of Worms' today. What were the others? And are they always said by Kryten?

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I think the point is that the Samsara flashbacks contradict the theory that it's a hallucination.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

He said episode-killing spoiler, no? If you mean when he was talking about the Radio Times review. There's something about Can of Worms that hasn't been in advance publicity, which the Radio Times gave away. I don't recall him making reference to something being a "series-killing" spoiler.

8. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

Pfffft! Easy to get round that with a bit of sci-fi fiddling! The hallucination was so utterly epic that in wound up housing an entire living breathing hallucinated universe with an entire hallucinated history within it! :-D

Actually didn't they say something similar at the end of BTE when they woke up?

9. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I was going to ask where the reference came from. It totally makes sense then that we're talking about an episode spoiler rather than the series.

The Einstein thing is still interesting though. I need to re-watch the series at some point now it's finished and make a mental note of where they all are. Again, I'm certain it's a throwaway thing or a coincidence but well spotted either way :-)

10. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Ah, he said "Show-killing", which I might have misinterpreted as the show (or series) in general, not just the episode. And was the spoiler about Can of Worms? If so, well then that negates that train of thought anyway.

11. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I'd have to go back to see exactly who mentioned it and where in some of the episodes, but I first noticed it in Samsara and thought, "well that's weird that Cat didn't seem to know who Einstein was, given they JUST met someone who they thought was him in the last episode".

12. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

And more importantly Captain Hollister was never Dennis the Donut boy!

13. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Is Einstein mentioned in every episode? I don't remember mentions in Give and Take and Officer Rimmer?

I think I'm right in saying that Twentica was recorded last so if it was first intended to go out last maybe it was simply a way of building up to us meeting him? Or thinking we do anyway.

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

No,it would be terrible and exactly the kind of literal car-crash that Series 8 seemed to be heading towards. Doug seemed like he just wanted to end the TV show by any means necessary at that point and move onto a new movie continuity that nobody was really aching for other than him. He'd written himself into a corner with all the trash that went on in VIII, it's probably why he's never tried to go back and explain it.

The proposed ending for "Earth" wasn't Red Dwarf "landing" because it can't "land". It was Red Dwarf "crashing" and wiping out all life on the planet. Think for a second about your idealised ending of Red Dwarf, is it really Red Dwarf crashing into the Earth causing a global catastrophe that wipes out all life? I can't think of anything worse.

Compare it to the thoughful, beautiful job that Doug did in ending his Red Dwarf novel "Last Human"(although he claims it isn't an ending, it really does work as one). That's the way I want to see the show go out. In a show with such a history of pathos and quiet reflective moments you don't need to end in crash-bang stupidity.

15. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Yeah, I had forgotten about the order being switched; that would at least account for the weirdness of Cat not knowing Einstein after having just discussed him in length.