prequel

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Prequels seem pretty popular at the moment.... and the novel "Red Dwarf, Infinity welcomes careful drivers" has a bit of back story
    not in the TV episodes.... that would be nice to see...

2. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

i completely agree...a prequel episode would be amazing. Like how they first met and all that. Also, i think they should do the lost episode where the cat finds a female cat.

3. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Meh, a prequel will just come off as contrived IMO.

4. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Not sure what the point of a prequel would be. If you were to do it in the TV universe then realistically you would have to recast. If Doug were going to do that then he may as well just make his movie with the famous actors of his choice as we know he had the chance to do.

Plus any prequel wouldn't feature Kryten or Cat (no loss with the latter dare I say).

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I can't see what a prequel would add that hasn't been covered in the show. Perhaps as a comic it would make for a fun story.

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

of course the cat species were evolving during lister was in stasis, and kryten wasn't the ONLY model made.. it wouldn't be hard to introduce A kryten before THE kryten.. Theres potentially stories to be told there.. how they'd tell them? i'm not sure, thats why im not a writer.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd like that. Or maybe a cartoon voiced by the actors, or just Chris Barrie if they want to keep the cost down.

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Chris Barrie is bloomin' good at that sort of thing!:lol:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I often thought in the past that I'd like to see a Red Dwarf prequel, even one featuring Chris Barrie and Craig Charles. Would anybody really care that they look way older than they should?

Still, I can't help thinking it would turn into a series 8-style mess rather than a fascinating glimpse at the pre-accident Rimmer and Lister.

10. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I think everything you need to know about pre-accident Rimmer and Lister is there in the scene from The End where they're leaving for MacIntyre's death disco. Rimmer picks up both their jackets and holds Lister's out to him only to drop it on the floor at the last minute, at which Lister barrels up behind him and kicks him up the jacksy. Brilliant.

Personally, spin-off wise I'd much rather see this (apologies if it's old news:-(
    Smoke Me A Kipper

11. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Personally I think they should have made Series 8 into pre-accident Dwarf except with Cat and Kryten present.

12. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Another more fundamental issue regarding a prequel is that nobody would want to broadcast it.

The BBC have made prequels in the past for Last of the Summer Wine or Only Fools and Horses but they wouldn't be interested in Dwarf.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

There's always Dave. :-)

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

wasnt the movie always gonna be a sorta prequel anyway

from a reboot point of view

15. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I'd like that. Or maybe a cartoon voiced by the actors, or just Chris Barrie if they want to keep the cost down.[/quote]

I think they they should make a cartoon as well. I would watch it. If I can in USA, since Dave has it and not BBC. heck I'd watch a show all about Rimmer.

16. menacexp

i think an 'origin' episode would be interesting...tell the story from the book and cast younger look alikes, kind or like the star trek movie...not a reboot...just a flashback episode on how Rimmer and Lister met and joined the space core...it doesn't even have to be a full episode long, maybe like half the episode would be enough to tell the tale...just a thought anyway.

17. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I think the main main issue would be who would play the roles as all Dwarf cast are now getting on a bit in the years you know hehe older fatter, not the right look.

18. menacexp

i don't think it really matters as long as there are resemblances and the story is told well. I'm really keen on the idea and think it would be fun to see.

19. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

A prequel series wouldn't work but a film might. But I think if they do a film it should be of the books (4 films), not include anything new.

20. menacexp

a prequel would work just fine