psirens help?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, May 7, 2010.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

in the season VI opener, psirens, later in the episode when there confused which Lister is the psiren who is the real lister, the one inside the ship or the one who is stuck outside, thanks if anyone knows the answer

2. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

It's one of those things that doesn't matter either way. The writers probably didn't even bother to decide. So, whichever you want could be the real Lister.

3. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I must admit I've always wondered that myself. Its one of those things we'll probably never know.

4. Yule Sleigher

Perhaps the attacks on Lister by the psirens outside were intended to keep him out of the way while another psiren lied his way into Starbug. So, I vote for the one which first boarded Starbug being the psiren.

5. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

An argument can be given for both sides. It seems that it'll have taken less time for Lister to arrive so the one inside is the real one but the one that did come inside didn't really put up much of a fight with Lister outside the ship.

I personally think the one who first came in is the original but it was (possibly on purpose) left to the viewer to decide.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Actually, there IS an answer to this one...

While the final show gives no definite answer - the cut between the second Lister appearing and the next scene means we can't be sure which of the two sat down was the first on-board the ship - the shooting script, as published in Primordial Soup, had to number the Listers for the sake of practicality.

So: 'Lister 2' is the second one through the airlock door. But 'Lister 1' is the one who plays the guitar brilliantly and is killed.

Didn't expect that, did ya?

7. Yule Sleigher

Darn it! I got it wrong! But thanks for clearing that up, Andrew.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

No, you said "I vote for the one which first boarded Starbug being the psiren." So you were right. Lister 1 was the Psiren, and he was the first one in. If they hadn't believed the airlock version, the second to show up, they'd have lost Lister.

Which, actually, in terms of drama, is the right way to write it. Even if you couldn't tell in the end.

9. Yule Sleigher

Oh yeah! It's as well psirens don't exist (or would we know if they did), because I'd be smegged!:lol: Especially if one turned into Fiona Bruce. Or Sara Blizzard who does the weather on my local news. Or the girl who works at our local chippie. Or... actually, I'm a pretty easy target for psirens.:-(

10. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    There's actually a weather presenter called Sara Blizzard???!! I thought that kind of thing only happened in comic books!!

11. Yule Sleigher

There certainly is, though at night she uses her abilities to control the weather to fight crime with the superheroine name Tornado. You should see the costume!

12. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

[quote="Paul Taylor

Oh yeah! It's as well psirens don't exist (or would we know if they did), because I'd be smegged!:lol: Especially if one turned into Fiona Bruce. Or Sara Blizzard who does the weather on my local news. Or the girl who works at our local chippie. Or... actually, I'm a pretty easy target for psirens.:-([/quote]

:lol: I think many men would be. Fondly remembering the time the cashier at Victoria's Secret "fell-out" of her blouse and my husband instantly morphed into a fumbling mumbling giggling fool. It took all of my strength to not end up rolling on the floor in laughter myself. To cap it off when we left he chimes in with "Oh nooooOOoo, thank you!" Don't get me wrong...he is an incredible and loyal husband but there is something crazy that happens when the male brain redirects the flow of blood in the body. Curious how the psirens would attempt to lure in a woman? For me, I think it would have to be a young Frank Sinatra with chocolates in one hand and a plane ticket to Hawaii in the other...singing love ballads the entire time. Yes, I think that would do it.

Andrew, what you said makes sense...I learn some new dwarfy fact each day on here.

13. Yule Sleigher

Classy choice!

Here's a question; would we really date (or whatever) a pleasure gelf even knowing that underneath it's a one-eyed, tentacled blob? Is it taking the dictum 'beauty is only skin deep' to it's extreme.

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Absolutely not. :shock: Not necessarily because of the greenish slime and blobiness, simply because I would not be interested in somebody who's entire existence is based on pretending to be something else (yes..again as an actor this is probably hypocritical). Pretences are for performances not for daily life. If I met the gelf in original form first then there would be a chance to get to know the gelf personally. However, then I would wonder why the blobiness and green slime was there...due to poor hygiene and laziness or some woeful medical condition? If simply due to genetics, I do not engage in interspecies relations...so again based on all counts of logic the pleasure gelf would not be a suitable dating option.

15. Yule Sleigher

You're such a prude!;-)

I think you're right. I can't believe anyone would overlook those issues just because the gelf looked to us like someone we fancied.

16. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I would. If I was the last human and didnt have any other options :lol:

17. Yule Sleigher

Funny! That's the attitude most women have about me.:?

You're a brave woman to admit to your gelfophilia. What would you get you're pleasure gelf to look like?

18. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Mine would probably look like Lister actually, but thats not very imaginitive is it? lol. He's so cute though.

19. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I would if I'd had one beer too many :-)

20. PsychoticallyDerangedkillersimulant

PsychoticallyDerangedkillersimulant Third Technician

I also wondered this for awhile but came to this conclusion and ive stuck by it since, the first Lister walks in casually and doesnt seem to be in much hurry to leave . Instead he may aswell have muttered his line
    * Its getting a little bit hairy out there lets vammose " The second Lister I believe is the real one , being the fact it didnt really take him that long to get to the air lock having just got off the comm with rimmer. The real Lister was probablly still laying where he shot the psiren , and only headed back once Rimmer yelled at him . Also the second one convinces me more he seemed alot more shaken having just had two Psirens try to kill him.