Question about Series XI and XII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Sep 23, 2016.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Third Technician

As these were filmed back to back are they both similar in style and setting?

Every series has thus far had its own distinct style, with no two series being the same in either style or setting (except for series I and II that is) so are we about to get pretty much 12 episodes with all the same of both.

2. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Itll be like 4 and 5 i think. They are both very similar imo

3. SweatyChimpBoy

I would agree with you there except for the fact that Series 5 is much darker than Series 4.

4. mtullock

You think so? I always thought 4 was the darkest of all series

5. mtullock

You think so? I always thought 4 was the darkest of all series

6. SweatyChimpBoy

Yeah totally, apart from Holoship, the rest are all dark.
    Inquisitor, Terrorform, Quarantine and Demons and Angels are all much darker than anything RD did before.

Just my opinion of course :-D

7. mtullock

true but DNA, Camille, Justice and Meltdown are not far from it either :-)

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I never got to see any of the filming of RDXI or RDXII but as Doug penned both series at the same time and I would expect they shared a lot of the studio scenery that they will be very much the same in style. Not a bad thing considering how good RDXI is so far. :-D

9. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I feel XI is a massive improvement but certainly some of the setting and styling reminds me of X. Not a bad thing. I don't think RD has ever looked so good; even more so with XI and therefore probably XII and it would be no great shame if little changed for XIII and XIV if they film them back to back too.

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

IMHO, I feel I have to agree series 5 is the darkest of the lot. Series 4 has some dark moments too but suicide, torture and murder all exist in 5 and existential erasure too to boot.

When rewatching RD all the way through chronologically last year I actually found series 5 to be my favourite though usually my favourite is series 6. How Rob and Doug created humour from all this misery and pain is amazing and shows what great, versatile writers they are.

I love the way Doug has revived the dark style of series 5 and some of series 6 to the new episodes as well - it really gives it a vintage feel.

Though in all honesty I love the lighter humoured episodes as much as these dark ones and RD series 2 to 6 is the peak of the show for me. As for the new series well I'll have to see how I feel about it in a couple of years time but so far I feel it is pretty much up there with the classic RDs and with every episode it is getting stronger and stronger!:-D

11. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Literally, so far! We're four episodes in, and I rank them in ascending order of quality. It would be nice and neat if the trend continued for the whole series.

However, I fear it won't, because I've got a hunch that Krysis will be my least favourite of the run. I've taken an instant dislike to Kryten dancing around in his silly red outfit.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I think I already said somewhere that I am not watching the previews and instead going for the old school option of watching on the TV because I prefer the superior picture so that is really good to hear that episode 4 is even better again. I am really looking forward to Thursday even more so now and it is great to have Red Dwarf back on our screens or computers etc after quite a long absence and 28+ years on from when it started and in really strong form too. IMHO it is the best TV programme ever and it is just so great for it to be back on (pretty much top form) and there's another series to come next year too!:-D It makes Thursdays so much happier for me.

But anyway regarding Krysis...I think out of the 12 episodes there was only one in series 12 that was meant to be probably poor ie receive a mixed response. One in the series 11 block I think did not get as much praise (might have been Krysis) but at the same time it wasn't panned. So Krysis, maybe it might possibly not follow the upward direction in quality as the series carries on and after all the dodgy episode 5 out of 6 can happen in sitcoms eg Dear Dave but I still have hopes that it will be fairly strong though.

Anyway we'll have to see I guess on Friday or Thursday next week in my case. But this is a really quality series so far so hopefully onwards and upwards!