Random observation regarding the Corrie thing..

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by TheAmazingDannyKing, Mar 28, 2009.

1. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I saw a clip the other day of Carbug driving down past Roy's cafe and then past a GMPTE bus stop, which I believe the Corrie set does have, but the point of this is.....

.....the people at the bus stop look like ordinary every-day folks waiting for a bus? This wouldn't occur on the set of Corrie?

Now to my mind, this adds a whole new dynamic to the show. The thought now occurs this might be a parallel universe where fiction is fact. I think another thing that lends credence to this was another show being mentioned which the Dwarfers land in, something that was made up, plus Rimmer's gag about X-Factor.

SO, WHAT IF;

The real world was fiction and fiction was the real world in this universe? So Corrie would be the "real world" where people live in the universe of Corrie like it was real, but their real lives, aboard "Red Dwarf", was now fictional in this universe, which explains it all without destroying any fourth wall whatsoever, as the whole thing is still contained within "our" Red Dwarf fictional universe, and if the phenominon happened today it would be like me finding "Corrie" was now the real world and my life was fictional. (It gets confusing at this point, huh?) - so they have to solve their fate by finding the mad fictional character (maybe created by one of the Dwarfers in the first episode, some mad villan with four bullets and a gun) who is now writing *their* fates, rather than the other way round, if that makes sense.

:-D I for one am "right pleased" with my theory.

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

From the ads, it looks like there's no crossover storyline ...

Corrie may just be a joke (The Dwarfers don't get it's importance etc.)

tbh, I'm not too keen on a link to Corrie anyway.

But seen as it's Red Dwarf, anything'd go :-D

3. connell

connell First Technician

That is one damn good theroy! I recon your on to something there!

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That's what I think too. It's just a set for 21st century setting. The joke is to us viewers who recognize certain land-marks.

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I had the same idea (more or less) well I think, it's similar... I posted somewhere on the forum the question of whether the crew are in tv land. Meaning that they are in a world where TV shows are real. Maybe Red Dwarf is real but the characters haven't been around for ages cos they were axed. So when they reappear, or seem to (and in the set of another show) an assasin is deployed to axe them for good. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm trying to keep my brain occupied til the 10th of April.

However not all the show is in Cornation Street so I don't think this will be the case.

6. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I reckon it was a convenient set that they could film on during daylight hours that they had access to. I'm not sure that its associations with Corrie will even be mentioned.

7. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Spoilers...

But apparently the SFX magazine with the cast on the cover plays an important part of the story....

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

At memorabilia Bobby Llew said it was a prop. He didn't say exactly what context it was used in though :-/

9. connell

connell First Technician

Running around in TV land... doesn't sound very dwarfy to me... well it does, but then again, I would rather we had some rouge simulant chasing or something! But im sure we won't be dissapointed, and any Dwarf is better than no Dwarf.

10. TheAmazingDannyKing

Running around where all ficton, written, television, video games, whatever are "real" and all mixed together.

Think Waxworld.

11. theRiveriaKid

theRiveriaKid Skutter

It also explains the Ace Rimmer tshirt that one of the extras has on!

12. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I think that the Corrie shooting will just be one of those things that writers just cannot resist, a subtle little joke that the viewers will laugh at because it shows another show that one of the actors has been in! (I always loved that bit on the A-Team when Face does the double take when he spots the guy in the Cylon outfit!)

13. TheAmazingDannyKing

It does, too. I never even thought that myself.

It'll be fun to see how close to the mark this is. :P

14. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I don't reckon so.

If, and I say if the extra is visible in the final edited show, I reckon it's just to show that the antics of the Dwarfers are well known by humans i.e. that it's happening in the real world (today)

15. doggett

doggett Second Technician

What if they're real but the Earth they land on is fictional ?
    Created by some weird entity for reasons unknown...

16. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

The Times has an article which offers a possible explanation. Although Robert denies that he said most of the things he's quoted on...

"In a nice bit of postmodern intertextuality the cast briefly find themselves in Coronation Street, where, keep up now, Lister meets his parallel-universe alter ego, an actor called Craig Charles who stars in a soap"

17. TheAmazingDannyKing

I'd be surprised if this is what happens, because Andrew / everyone in interviews etc. all kept saying "It's not what you expect..."

....and that's what we all expected from the off.

Plus it'd be shameless fourth wall breaking, something frankly that should never be tried blatantly like that. It's never worked really to my knowlage.

18. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Try watching Woody Allen's. Annie. Genius.

19. connell

connell First Technician

Sounds like dwarf...

20. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

my thoughts was somethign happene don earth which prity much wipped most of humans off the earth but then they started to rebuild themselves. and there current stage is our modern day.

so basicly. while lister wa sin his 3 millino year sleep human race almost became extinct and then rebuilt itself from scratch almost. as though they evolved again.