Random Thoughts About... Series III

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

We should be recording this episode the same day as Marooned, so if anyone has any thoughts about this episode that they dont mind being read out on the podcast, go for it!

good things AND bad things please! (if there are any, as this episode is rightly considered one of the best)

jed

EDIT: This is now the post for all of Season 3 to keep it all in one place. I'll post the name of the episode in the thread and if you can just mention in your reply what episode you are talking about, that will help when I am reading it out

2. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Robert's obvious reading from the idiot boards during his "How could I forget it!" speech :lol:

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Unless I'm up the wrong tree, but I could've sworn blind the whole Rimmer line following Kryten's attempt to get Lister's boxer shorts off was:

"Well, I can't say I'm totally surprised: you'll bonk anything, won't you, Lister. Not even an android is safe from your vile appetite."

4. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I've never got that impression from the Emohawk episode but perhaps I need to revisit it? I always imagined the Emohawk to be a completely different polymorph, totally unrelated to the polymorphs in the pod.

Do their clothes change? Again, I can't remember, I may have to revisit the episode, but I thought the scene changed as every character was attacked and assumed that they just got changed off screen. Their clothes definitely don't change in Emohawk until Cat gets himself into something more comfortable.

The Emohawk is a different breed of polymorph which is why it affects the crew differently.

5. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

The costumes don't change in Emohawk. Ace Rimmer stays dressed as Arnold Rimmer throughout and Dwayne Dibbley comments that he needs to to "change into something more comfortable" then in the next scene he's dressed as Dibbley.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It's the most vulgar of any episode

7. jedshepherd

haha explain!

8. simulant37

The language, non-family friendly swearing. References to female anatomy

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

SIMULANT NOVEMBER 2015

SIMULANT JUNE 2015

Discussing Polymorph:
    SIMULANT AUGUST 2012

Rating Series three:

Backwards - 7
    Marooned - 10
    Polymorph - 10
    Timeslides - 8
    Bodyswap - 9
    The Last Day - 6

Sorry Jed, but sadly Simulant37 falls out of character every now and again... :roll::roll::roll:

10. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I love it one of my favorite episodes. The only thing I hate is that terrible effect on the Polymorph rimmer where is head is all skewed...what on Earth is that about.

11. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

It had the most voted for best moment in it. Pure class :-D

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

A great episode in my opinion, the alternative versions of their characters were particularly entertaining, especially Rimmer anc the overly aggressive Lister. However, for all its popularity, I never really found the famous underpants scene to be particularly funny.

I also never got the impression that the second Polymorph was supposed to be the Emohawk from series VI, in fact thought it was pretty clear from the exposition in that episode that the Emohawk was supposed to be a separate species of polymorph altogether.

13. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

It was actually addressed in the Smegazine what happened to the second Polymorph (it was found in series 6 pretending to be Red Dwarf, complete with crew - until the Starbug crew sussed it out and killed it. Actually, I think it died because it was recreating Red Dwarf's past within itself - including the radiation leak!).

There isn't really a huge amount to say about Polymorph. It doesn't explore the characters' pasts or their personalities really, but by God it's funny. The infamous underpants scene that got apparently a 10-minute laugh from the audience stole the entire episode - quite literally. Take that away and, well, I can't actually recall much about it.

Having said that, this is the first (and arguably the best) "Monster Of The Week" episode, and it was handled very well. Just about every science fiction show has a "shape-shifting evil alien" episode (unsure about "emotions go missing" though) and RD does this very well, especially making clear from the first minute that that's what we're dealing with - by amusingly having the Polymorph change into all manner of random objects straight away, both animate and inanimate.

In terms of the emotions removed, Cat and Kryten were spot-on - neither character is entirely the same without their vanity and guilt respectively, though the Cat is never especially inclined to get involved with the crew's plans normally anyway. Absolutely love Kryten with no guilt though (so much better than in Tikka To Ride - "maybe if I hand you guys over, it'll let me go! Move it suckers!").

Lister and Rimmer, on the other hand, I'm not so convinced. I get that the emotions they were feeling at the time were anger and fear, and they make sense there, but I don't think they're the "best" emotions they could have written out to change the characters. Rimmer's main emotion, I think, is fear (not anger - give him any form of threat and he would have run away above all else). Lister's - I don't know, self-confidence? But then that'd be reasonably similar to Cat's vanity. But in any case, writing those emotions out wouldn't have made the crew so much fun to watch in this instance. Rimmer wanting to rehabilitate the Polymorph (hello clitoris) and Lister wanting to open up the armoury, get the nuclear warheads and strap them to his head so he can "nut the smegger to oblivion" made for some excellent, wholesome family TV.

EDIT - also, the Polymorph sucks Rimmer's fear out through him, despite him being a hologram. I always rationalised this as "well the Polymorph hit his light bee" (which isn't necessarily always in the centre of Rimmer - in fact, in one of the novels I think it moved around at a fair old pace, so literally anything has a chance of hitting it). In the novels though, the Polymorph sucks out Rimmer's fear by breaking into the hologram projection suite.

Also, another of my favourite sci-fi series, Farscape, rips Polymorph off in the episode "Twice Shy" (though not as well).

14. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Re: the mother that didn't want her preshus widdel girl to know about her own body.

this mother is an "ostrich" mother who probably had a massive painting of Jesus on the living room wall...

15. jedshepherd

any last thoughts on this episode? recording today :-)

16. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Prefer the re-mastered version!

17. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

The whole sequence starting from the kebab launching itself at Lister's throat, Kryten's "You seriously like 'em that hot, Sir?!", Lister racketing about trying to whack the thing, then getting his boxer shorts on, the look on his face upon the sound of creaking undies, before throwing himself to the floor in agony, and pleading with Kryten, who still has a hoover attachment hanging from his groinal socket, to help him, and with the both of them going "Get them off!" "Keep still, Sir!" "GET THEM OFF!!", and ending with Rimmer's entrance with the infamous line, just totally and utterly left me hyperventilating! I thought I was going to die laughing! :P

18. simulant37

A classic episode that pushes the boundaries of content to more alternative comedy like The Young Ones etc. A one off as the more adult humour/language was never really at this level again.

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Jed! Just so these threads don't clog up too much, would you mind using one continuous one (this one would do fine) as an all-purpose one? If you edit the original post each time you should be able to change the thread title to the episode you're currently on. Just means that at quiet times we won't have a row of successive threads all about basically the same thing ;-)

20. jedshepherd

sounds like a plan. Maybe one per season just so its easier for me to check as Im reading them out Live?

Can we change Topic titles? If so I'd change this to Season 3!