Random Thoughts About... Series III

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

anymore for BODYSWAP?

Also can I have your comments on TIMESLIDES too please?

Timeslides was always such a wish fulfilment one for me. I always wished I could jump into magazines and photos when i was a kid!

2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

With regards to the voice thing in Bodyswap, I think in theory it was the right thing to do and the execution was good however from time to time I think it was a bit too obvious that it was voice over and that the actors weren't 'in the moment' so to speak.

Not sure if I'm explaining this properly but take the 'oh smeg, what the smeggin smegs he smeggin done?' now Chris Barrie's face was naturally very concerned and anxious but the voice that came out was quite calm and almost serene.

3. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I think Timeslides is a good episode but there are so many little things that bother me.

Who was taking a photograph of the boys sleeping at Rimmers boarding school? and where did they go? Also rich and famous Lister did know Rimmer, he saw him come from the magic portal to the future with his future self when he found out about the invention that made him famous. He liked him and Rimmer liked the 'om' song, surely he would have remembered him?

Also if Timelines had been altered so Lister never came aboard Red Dwarf then he wouldn't have been put into stasis and there would be another 3rd technician who as the Cat's dissapearance suggests didn't bring Frankenstein on board therefore Rimmer may have had some help when repairing the drive plate and thus wouldn't have wound up a hologram (he wouldn't have been revived if no Lister anyway) and.... I don't know.

Like I say I like the episode even if it doesn't seem like it. :-)

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Timeslides is one I usually refer to as being best watched with your brain switched off because there's just so much in it that doesn't make sense.

For a start it makes no sense that developing fluid can mutate. There's also the question of why they don't try to bring anyone through the slides, a decidedly un-snowball looking snowball manages to make it across, so why don't they at least try to bring some other crew members, such as the crew of the Nova 5 through? Lister clearly has no problem with altering history in this episode.

The scene with Hitler and Lister is also all wrong. The diary entries referring to Czechoslovakia place the image at sometime in 1938 or maybe '37, this ties in with being the right time for one of the Nuremburg rallies, but completely the wrong place for the July 20th 1944 bomb attack by Von Stauffenberg who in any case used his own briefcase, not Hitler's.

It also still doesn't make sense to me that a picture of a magazine would be brought to life like this, surely Kryten taking a picture of a picture would just give a "living" copy of that page of the magazine rather than the events of the original picture. Unless Red Dwarf has a stash of negatives from the 1930s lying around. But then, maybe mutated developing fluid is just that good.

This is also an episode with more than a few anachronisms, the 70s Glam rock style outfits that Smeg & The Heads wear, Kryten using film rather than digital when a couple of decades after the episode was filmed they're practically extinct. (The latter I put down to maybe being a sort of historical hobby type technology, a bit like archery these days, besides if Kodak didn't see digital coming about a decade and a half later, I'm willing to give Rob and Doug a pass for that one)

A nod to having the younger Charles play young Lister, which he did pretty well. Also poor younger Rimmer with his nocturnal boxing gloves.

But for all its flaws, a good and entertaining episode and the historical inaccuracies aren't that critical to the plot.

5. jedshepherd

your first point is AMAZING! Gonna break that down in the podcast.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ah, Timeslides. Now this has my seal of approval because it's a half-decent episode, but has a pretty good premise. Every sci-fi has to have a time travel episode and, like with Stasis Leak, Timeslides does things a bit differently by restricting the time travel mechanic. You can only go to a place that you've got a picture of, and you can't move out of the confines of that picture.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense about this mechanic. For instance, how does this change time? Surely the pictures should be self-contained scenarios. How do they actually capture what's going on in the fourth dimension? Why not simply remain in a picture (though it could be argued that, if the pictures are self-contained to an extent, if that picture is destroyed on Red Dwarf then it, and everything within, is also destroyed - but even so, Lister could just go into a picture to "get away" for an hour or so).

Of course, better to say "a wizard did it". Let's say the developing fluid got destroyed. And they can go back in time because of reasons. Same with Rimmer remembering Lister (because it's just a great big time paradox which gets sorted out - Rimmer can't remember Lister because Rimmer and Lister have never met, but Lister would have to meet Rimmer for Lister to un-meet Rimmer). Oh well. Doctor Who regularly does similar stuff and gets away with it.

There's not really much in the way of laugh-out-loud gags in this episode - I enjoyed Hitler's briefcase, and the giant urinating statue at rich Lister's palace, and the father sitting on the clay pigeon shooting machine and shouting "pull" - but not much else. The episode doesn't leave much time as it has a lot to get through, but does have a pretty good - and fast-paced - time travel story which doesn't get old.

And I just like the inventiveness of the Timeslides themselves - being able to go back somewhere, so long as you've got a photo, but you can't move outside the confines of the photograph. A great way to liven up the old mechanic of time travel. If it were used loads throughout Red Dwarf then it'd get old, but it is perfectly balanced for that single episode.

Some people think that Rimmer altered events so that he got brought back to life, and (in that universe/time stream/whatever) had always been alive. I think he still mentions dying in the accident after that episode, and I like to think that he just somehow magically "came back to life" - for all of 30 seconds.

And I think this concludes with what was a great smeg-up, where Chris is doing the "I am alive!" bit, hits the boxes and nothing happens except a box slowly topples onto his head whilst he's stood perfectly still, fists still on the boxes.

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Oh yeah, the exploding Rimmer scene at the end, I'm one of those who didn't spot that the boxes were labelled as explosives until much, much later and thought it was just something to do with the timelines reordering themselves. The others do seem surprisingly indifferent to not just the explosion but also that their living crew mate just died.

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Its a very weak series.

9. jedshepherd

hahah can you elaborate?

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I'll exclude marooned and the first 15 mins of polymorth and first ten minutes of timeslides.

I just find it quite a lazy series. It's not as funny as the four that followed. It also visually looks pretty naff.

Backwards, Bodyswap and The Last Day are particularly dreadful eps.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

This response is a bit off topic but I think the part I put in bold is a noteworthy point to remember when fellow fans complain about Rimmer and Lister's reaction to Professor Edgington being sucked through the airlock at the end of Entangled. I'm not necessarily defending either example, although I think the reason they're allowed to happen is because RD is a comedy show first and foremost.

But the point I'm getting at here is I think some fans blame Doug's solo writing for the kind of occasional 'out-of-character' moments that have actually been scattered throughout Red Dwarf from the start. The entangled example is nothing new, it's just more recent (if that makes sense?). And it's perhaps more noticeable to those of us who are quite a bit older now than we were when we first got into the show. I for one certainly notice way more inconsistencies now I'm older (and a bit more picky). Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does alter my perspective at times.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I might be wrong but did they even notice Rimmer was alive? I don't think they cared enough to listen to him before they walked out the room let alone the explosion that happened behind them while they were not looking so I don't think there really was anything for them to react too and maybe that's partly what made it funny that after all of rimmers screaming about being alive They were not even listening

And when it comes to entangled it actually bothered me more that she tripped over a box falling side ways into the airlock as the door closed and then flushed herself into space then it did Rimmer and listers reaction because how exactly were they meant to react? *shrug*, I was also more bothered about rimmers reaction to his brother dying tbh and he was even more smug about it in a deleted scene that Doug probably realised was pushing it abit

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Timeslides is the one series 3 episode that my feelings are a bit mixed on, yes there was still a lot of good comedy here and it had a fun idea.....but it's maybe the episode that feels most datedly 80's at times, has that painfully unfunny Ruby Wax scene and I can't say enough how much that ending bugs me. It's a shame too there actually is a lot of stuff in this episode I really like, but as it is it's by far my least favourite episode of Series 3.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

They didn't seem to notice anything different about him, but it's not made clear if that was because in their timeline he was alive anyway. In any case you would have thought that whatever their feelings about Rimmer, the explosion a few meters behind them might have at least raised some interest but they apparently barely even noticed it or cared that a couple of boxes of explosives had just gone off either spontaneously (because at this stage Rimmer's hologram is soft light) or directly where their crew mate and the only other living human was just standing.

15. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I think the biggest problem with the explosion is how graphic it is for Red Dwarf: you see his "legs" flying, really odd and even if the explosion happens behind you, you still hear it!!

Rimmer's response to his brothers death seems logical in a way. Howard tortured and abused Rimmer his entire life. Rimmer thought he was dead for decades and then he suddenly returns and starts again. Rimmer had no other feelings for him, or obviously any of his family than resentment. It always reminded me of Edmunds response to George dying in Black Adder 3 ...

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I quite liked the Ruby Wax scene.

As for the others "not being bothered about" Rimmer's apparent death, something to quickly add. It doesn't seem they're that bothered about the explosion. We only see them for a moment afterwards, and in that brief moment it seems they're oblivious. Nothing to stop them realising what's just happened and getting distraught and all. In any case, it's just a brief joke which actually comes across really well, in my opinion.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think that's part of the joke though that they were oblivious to it all, I don't think the joke Is they don't care that Rimmer was killed

18. jedshepherd

it was a pretty loud explosion though!

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The joke and the fact Rimmer magically is alive again was really lame, not exactly Series 3's finest.

20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Lord, was it....! :shock: