Random Thoughts About... Series III

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Series 3 as a whole for me was mid range in the grand scheme of things if that makes sense? My favourite episode would have to be Backwards.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

For the most part Series III ranks really highly for me because most of it I love.....I just find Timeslides very patchy in terms of quality.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The joke seems to me more silly then out of character

4. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I really love Body swap. Especially that chase scene with Starbug and the blue midget at the end, It is actually amazing how much they butchered it in the Re mastered version. I do find it a little disturbing that Kryten was willing to just chloroform his ship mates at Rimmers command though.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Which element of the re-mastered did you feel botched?

The delay in which Starbug hit the rock through the window was irritating.

6. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

It just in general looks terrible and janky. Aside from a little bit of wobble on the blue midget the model version looks amazing. The CGI version looks so cheap.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Agree.

8. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

so what do you guys think of THE LAST DAY?

Everyone's fave episode of Series III right? What are you fave moments, the worst moments....

I'm always very conflicted by this episode.

jed

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I did quite enjoy Last Day. It gave us a bit more of a back story to Lister, I think this is the first reference to him being abandoned as a baby. Rimmer's comment about his mother "Well you can all have mine, everybody else did" conflicts with his comments from Polymorph about her, especially as in Polymorph the idea of her sleeping with Lister was picked to draw out Rimmer's rage where here he seems remarkably calm about the idea that she was promiscuous.

I enjoyed the party, although the effect the used when Kryten drinks his specially prepared mechanoid drink has dated really badly it even seemed dated back when I bought it on VHS which would have been around 1994. What happened to the Marilyn Monroe kit? I wonder if she's still wandering around Red Dwarf somewhere.

Hudson though seems more than little over the top as a replacement next generation sanitation droid and it doesn't really make sense that when Hudson was packaged up into his mail pod by Diva Droid they gave what Lister describes as a vacuum cleaner on legs a pump action shotgun for the journey.

For Series III overall, I see this as Red Dwarf starting to get into its stride a bit. Visually it's much more different than I and II, with a new craft, new crew member and new actors. It was when we first see the crew going out and exploring their universe. I tend to regard III-VI as Red Dwarf at its best, with III being the weaker of that period being the sort of warm up series to the peak times for Red Dwarf. Still very good TV though, just not quite up there with the very best IMO.

10. Slainmonkey

Never knew why a lot of people disliked The Last Day personally, aside from some datedly 80's moments (which was far worse in timeslides) I think the episode has a lot going for it. I think it has some pretty funny jokes and some good character moments, also it was the episode where they first tried to add more character development to Kryten. In a lot of ways The Last Day feels like a lead in to series 4 for me which started of with a couple episodes that continued the theme of developing Kryten further.

11. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

The last day feels a bit different to the other episodes in this series, for me. However I'm a big fan of the episode, I find it more subtle than other episodes. 'Subtle genius' I like to call it.

12. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I like the last day, When I was younger I never used to like it because I found it slow and not much happened, then as I got older I appreciated it for as Harry said the subtle genius of it. I always remember my dad thinking Kryten's head going "de de de de de de de de de de" after drinking the Mechanoid booze to be really funny. Also everytime Marilyn Monroe is anything my dad would go "Oh look..its Marilyn Monroe!" in a Kryten voice. Maybe its his favorite episode I will have to ask him sometime.

13. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I really liked Last Day. Some really classic Lister/Kryten scenes ("Human heaven?! Goodness me...") and character development. The whole party scene for Kryten is one of my favourites. Also one of the first episodes where we see Robert Llewellyn's unmasked face on screen.

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Great episode, my favourite of Series III, and features Rimmer's best ever "miladdo".

15. krytenjeff

krytenjeff Catering Officer

I just finished watching timeslides, i love when rimmer is trying to convince lister who has the better life hah classic :lol:

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

The Last Day

I wonder if it's odd that we have a Kryten episode so early into his tenure on the Dwarf? We've never really had a Cat episode (thankfully - I want him to remain proudly shallow to the last!).

The Last Day is, I guess, the second "monster-of-the-week" episodes (after Polymorph), but that's not where the bulk of the plot lies. Instead, it's a great chance for the crew to ponder a bit on the afterlife, which is done very well with Kryten's absolute belief in Silicon Heaven (itself a good little scene), yet completely dismiss human heaven at the same time - basically boiling all religion down to "either believe in it or don't, there's no proof either way".

A few great moments - as mentioned before, the Silicon Heaven scene, Kryten's "my goodness, it's Marilyn Monroe!" as the droid comes lumbering in through the door (and then the wall), Rimmer's "first time" story, "is it just me or is that cockroach shuffling too loudly?", "don't give me that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning".

And then we get Hudzen, in a brief scene which is just quite fun. I guess they didn't want to stretch out his appearance (thankfully - though his introduction scene was amusing, especially chopping a brick in half with what one can only imagine is a small, yet extendible, groinal socket), but Rimmer's reaction when he saw that Hudzen wouldn't listen to him, plus the HUD messages (describing everyone as a viable target, except Lister who is simply categorised as "what the smeg" or something like that) works really well.

I wouldn't describe this as my favourite episode in series 3, nor my least liked - and that's because I find series 3 very difficult to judge. I like it, I think in terms of quality it is very consistent, but it also offers a large amount of variety in its episodes that makes it difficult to compare against other series - as if it is half-way (well, slightly over half-way) in the transition between the more sombre series 1/2 and the more space-adventurey 4/5.

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I really liked The Last Day. A contender for best episode of series 3, I'd say

Some great comedy and I particularly liked the Terminator parody at the end.

18. Slainmonkey

Another thing worth noting, The Last Day had Rimmer at one of his nicer moments...We get a rare glance at the better side of his nature which we only really ever see in a small handful of episodes.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Apart from a couple of episodes rimmer for the most part was nicer in Series 3 and 4, it was series 5 and 6 where perhaps he become more of a grump and all about himself (excluding holoship)

Although i think the series 5 and 6 rimmer has become the rimmer everyone seems to expect now when they say rimmer feels out of character when he is being too nice, although i don't agree with it since rimmer has never been a one dimensional character

20. Slainmonkey

Even then in series 5 and 6 I can still pick out moments of redeemablity, like the aforementioned Holoship and also in Out of Time. I never stated that I thought he was out of character in The Last Day, but rather the fact it was one of his most notably nicer moments in the entire show for me.