Random Thoughts About... Series IV!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

[​IMG]

Tomorrow (so kinda urgent!), Daniela and I start recording Series IV of Smegheads which nicely coincides with Series IV of Red Dwarf! So in the way we have become accustomed I need your feedback for each episode, concentrating on them chronologically.

So what do you guys think of Series IV, Episode 1 - 'Camille'?

Heads up, we have Tom Stabb back as a guest on this episode because he believes this to be the worst episode of all time. It's going to be a vitriolic one! This episode has really grown on me in the last few years, but certainly not my favourite of the series.

jed

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

If ranking series iv Camille would land straight in the middle for me. While Casablanca refferences are old hat the episode almost justifies it in tying it with Kryten's character development which is where this episode excelled in for me, infact in a way I feel this episode complements the series iii finale Last Day....those 2 episodes show Kryten grow more as a character then any other. While not my favourite episode I do think it had a place, I certainly think I respect this episode more then most people do.

3. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I think it's a decent episode, perhaps the plot is a bit silly but there are some very funny moments which is the most important thing.

The opening scene with Lister teaching Kryten to lie, Rimmer saying 'he's gone stark raving mad he keeps waving a banana in front of me and calling it a female aardvark.' (Or words to that effect) and Kryten's puzzlement at Rimmer finding Camille attractive culminating in 'Do you think *I'm* attractive?' makes me laugh out loud.

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Camille is a very good episode and it starts with one of my favourite opening scenes from any series in which Lister is trying to teach Kryten how to lie. Yes it's not the best episode in Red Dwarf but its DEFINITELY not the worst as I'd still put this episode over ALL of series 8 & Back To Earth.

This episode also features real life partners of two of the actors involved Craig & Robert who play their "perfect mate" which I thought was a nice touch. I did find it funny to hear however that after Judy Pascoe played the female mechanoid that Bobby did not get any sympathy when he complained about getting transformed into Kryten.

"Yes, I can lie, cheat AND be offensive now!" - Kryten

5. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Think I must be on my own in really not liking this episode I can't quite put my finger on why not it just really anoyes me,I think maybe it because cassandras not the right actor for the part imo

6. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I like Camille, it's an OK episode. Certainly not the worst. There are a few in VII and quite a few in VIII I would class as 'worse' episodes, not to mention all of IX and some of X.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked Camille a lot. I enjoyed the silly Casablanca parody running through it (well mainly the end) and introduced a new freaky, but in this case endearing, creature. And there were some cracking gags, Cat meeting himself, and his reactions later being the highlight.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Overall I liked Camille too, it has some really great moments in it as others have already said like Cat meeting his ideal partner and the opening scene with Lister trying to teach Kryten to lie and insult Rimmer. The Casablanca references may be old hat, but it was good choice in my opinion because even if you haven't seen the film (And I still haven't), you almost definitely will get the references. I will agree that Camille for me is a good but not great episode.

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I really should watch Camille again at some point. I don't think it's a bad episode, far from it, but it's pretty far removed I think from the others in series 4. And 3. And 5 (apart from Holoship, which I don't really like either). Maybe I just have a thing against "random love interests for a single episode" episodes.

But it does have a good plot, and a simple one - that being that Kryten comes across a woman who he generally "clicks with", but in the end lets her go. The woman, as it turns out, is a giant green blob of snot, but Kryten doesn't care and likes just spending time with her.

Some good humour that I remember - isn't this the one where Kryten learns insults? Always liked that bit. Plus Cat's perception of Camille is absolutely perfect - a 30-second "hey, my perfect mate is myself" moment which suits his vanity brilliantly.

Camille isn't the best episode, but again, certainly not the worst. I'd say it's just so different to a lot of other episodes at that time, with the constant "here's a situation we've got to solve". It probably belongs back in series 1/2 in terms of tone and lack of major action bits. Still better than nearly everything in series 7/8/BTE.

EDIT - that is to say, Camille certainly isn't a bad episode, and it's also not an episode to which I'll go "oh God, not that one". It's just one I can't be bothered watching that often, along with others such as Dimension Jump.

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I think Robert and Judy got together after Camille - unsure. It's in the Man In The Rubber Mask.

11. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

It's a good Kryten episode and I especially love the interaction between Kryten and Rimmer when they are in Starbug especially when Kryten is trying and failing to call Rimmer a smeghead and asking what type of model Rimmers sister in law is. Thought the ending of the episode was the weakest point with the second blob arriving to take Camille back and would've prefered her leaving a different way. Is this the first time in Red Dwarf that mentions of GELFs? I don't remember them before this point, but they come more common after this episode.

12. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

A good episode up to the line "heart breaker..." Then i lose interest! The blob is a pretty naff effect too.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Francesca Folan, Rimmer's object of desire is one classy dame. Gosh darn it she's swellegant! Can't find any NSFW pix of her on the interweb alas...:roll:

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The first gelf encountered in the show was the polymorph. I can't remember if the word 'gelf' is used in that episode, though.

15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

To be honest, I can't imagine a better way to end the episode as it highlights Kryten's maturity. An "and then she exploded" ending wouldn't be good enough - kinda like how they did away with Irene in Entangled (though that was wacky and kinda allowed). I think this is one fleeting guest character who was well served, along with Rimmer leaving the Holoship and Ace Rimmer in Dimension Jump (if only they had kept him to that - which reminds me, it also reminds me of Ace's revelation that HE was the one kept back a year - I had expected it the other way round, thus proving the original Rimmer to be an all-round loser in the show).

But that's not about Camille - sorry for wandering.

And yeah, I think this is the first time GELF is used - don't think they were mentioned, even in Polymorph. In actuality, I don't think any more GELFs come along until series 6.

16. jedshepherd

thanks so much for all of these!

Will be recording at 7pm so anyone who wants to get in before that, please do!

17. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I like this episode. I always wonder who I would see as my ideal women when watching Camile. The one thing I don't get about this episode is how come Lister doesn't see Kochanski (or at least someone looking just like her) when he looks at Camile, seeing how obsessed he is with her I would expect her to be his perfect woman.

18. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

The end credits actually give her name as 'Kochanski Camille', so effectively Lister does see her as Kochanski.

19. jedshepherd

Thanks everyone!

Okay can I have your random thoughts on.... Episode 2, 'DNA' please?

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This was a first and only in the series given that it's 3 Kryten centric episodes in a row. I like DNA in that it's a good episodes with a lot of good gags, unfortunately I think the episode gets a little too silly for it's own good at the end.