Random Thoughts About... Series IV!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Jan 18, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

As slainmonkey says, DNA does seem to stray into silly territory at the end. There are some great bits though, but for me the stand-out bit is the beginning, when the crew are attempting to dock with the ship and then are thrown into confusion when suddenly the console goes dark - before realising the Cat has unplugged it in order to use his hair dryer.

I think Kryten trying to get used to being human didn't go on long enough, but then they did have rather a lot to fit in. It could easily have done with a few more scenes. Perhaps getting rid of Rimmer trying to create a copy of himself for one?

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

My other complaint is that the reference back to Polymorph was unnecessary and somewhat forced, but that's a nitpick.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It was a fun episode with some really good comedy IMO, this is also the first mention of Lister actually having dated Kochanski and retconning out the Series I and II stuff about having not been in a relationship with her. I agree that it does get a little silly at the end maybe, but not to the detriment of the episode as a whole.

This made me think about that scene a bit, surely Rimmer wouldn't want a clone aboard? We know from Me2 that two Rimmers can't get on, so if there was a live Rimmer aboard the end result would be that Holo-Rimmer would have to get switched off.

4. Slainmonkey

Pretty sure Rimmer was looking to have his consciousness transplanted into to clone body much like he did with Lister's body in Body Swap. It was just his scheme to get a new body.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Could be, although that would still mean the transplanted Rimmer would have to be switched off, effectively he'd be cloned to be subsequently killed. I can't imagine Lister being too keen on that ethically.

6. Slainmonkey

Maybe not but things never got that far and Lister was more concerned about Kryten at the time.

7. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

we record DNA tomorrow, so if you have any last comments.... comment! (thank you!)

8. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Favourite part is when Cat accidently turns Lister into chicken.

It was only after this episode that I realised Kryten was the host of Scrapheap Challenge which I had watched for years before Red Dwarf. I liked seeing Kryten as a human, but was glad that it was only for the one episode and not a permanent change.

9. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I really enjoy this episode it makes me laugh in lots of ways,particularly when kryten first changes into a human,although I always find it weird to see kryten as human however many times I see it:-D

10. jedshepherd

thanks again for your comments, they all made it into today's podcast! So next week we are doing JUSTICE and just to warn you, this episode is going to crazier than usual. Can I have your thoughts on this highly rated episode?

11. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

"Oooohhh mmyyy goooooooddd...his head...burst..."

Justice was one of my favourite episodes of series 4 with an interesting concept of criminal punishment in The Justice Field. I especially like the fight scene between Lister in the Simulant.

12. Slainmonkey

Justice is a perfect example of what made the mid years of "Classic Dwarf" so great, it might even be my favourite of series 4 in general. It's a great example of a great idea that was executed excellently. Also a fantastic way to introduce Simulants into the series, one of the greats!

13. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I really like this episode, I mentioned before that it would be a good one to introduce someone new into Red Dwarf. It gives a good 'microcosm' if that's the right word to use of each character, has an interesting, unique premise and is really funny.

I particularly enjoy the '.....I do' moment when Lister realises no one thinks as highly of Rimmer as he does.

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ooh, Justice. I wasn't overly keen on this episode at first, but I now love the Justice field. Seems a really "out there" idea to include, trying to make people more obedient by reversing their crimes back on themselves. The courtroom scene too, in which Rimmer objects to Kryten convincing the Justice Computer Rimmer is just plain incompetent, is brilliant too. Probably one of my favourites now from series 4, and I love that the Simulant plot is forgotten until the end (great costume work on the Simulant too). Also, I love the "guess what? I lied" - "guess what? So did I" - "Well I lied twice" - "Didn't think of that" bit. Great model work with Starbug in the Justice Station (which is a pair of scales, as used in the justice statue or whatever), and the Justice Computer speaking through Holly is a bit creepy but a great little detail.

15. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I forgot Rimmers holiday to the diesel deck was in this episode. It is one of my favourite scenes in the series. I love how passionate Rimmer is about what he has seen during his holiday when he is showing off his slides to Kryten.

Very good, very strong episode and easily one of my favourites.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I feel the same way. Some good lines, but the actress playing the mechanoid Casandra just irritates me for some reason. I can't help but think it's because I know it's Robert's real-life partner. Don't know why that should matter, but it does.

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

As for the current episode, Justice, I don't have much time for it. The Rimmer trial is tiresome, and the boots are silly.

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think Justice is a good exame of the best kind of episode Red Dwarf has to offer. It has a good story, great comedy, and good sci-fi premise used to comedy effect.

I particularly like the fact it starts as one thing,then changes to something else along the way. I.e. there's the mysterious involving the cryopod at the start. Then it becomes a very funny court-room dramas. Then, back to the pod thread, and it becomes fight (of rather a run) for survival against a psychotic maniac. And all this is tied together seamlessly.

I love it.

19. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

At least it's not just me!I think your theory about it being his real life partner maybe be it :-D

20. jedshepherd

Next episode for the podcast is....

WHITE HOLE

If you can please leave your random thoughts, comments and musings here, you'll get read out by me. Its very much appreciated, as alternative points of view gives us balance!

thanks guys,

jed