Random Thoughts About... Series IV!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Jan 18, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

So what is it?

I really like the episodes of Red Dwarf that, to me at least with my limited sci-fi knowledge, try and do something different. In reality, the white hole's time shenanigans are relegated to two scenes only, which is fair enough - if it were overused it would become annoying quite quickly. The episode has a simple premise - the ship is out of power, and the crew have an objective to complete in order to sort everything out.

Talkie Toaster is more or less the star of the episode, even though he isn't in it very much (like the titular white hole itself). Again, overuse would lead to annoyance. Well balanced with some good gags (using Kryten as a battering ram, and Rimmer's stuff about Captain Oates) was great. One of my favourites of series 4 for a lot of reasons.

So what is it?

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

White Hole is a pretty sweet solid episode but not up there with my all time faves. It's a fun episode with a strong scifi idea but I did feel a few jokes fell flat for me, most notably Holly banging her head on the screen hen she counts. Still it's a pretty good episode.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

White Hole is easily my least favourite of Series IV. I thought Holly's dimwittedness at the start is overdone, having her have to bang her head on the screen in order to count, she's just never seemed quite that stupid before and as a joke it falls somewhat flat IMO.

The scene with Lister and Cat trying to run electrical appliances from an exercise bike is funny as is Talkie Toaster's boot-up scene at the start and a couple others (The Oates scene is one, although Kryten misquotes Oates in it), although these have to be balanced against the "What is it?" scene which even on first viewing I found got predictable and quite boring very quickly and Kryten and Rimmer being side by side in different time streams which looks really pretty dated these days.

Not a great episode, though in spite of the fact this all comes over as pretty negative towards it I still enjoy it.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Jed, your Smegheads Podcast is currently down for me. At least from the link in your signature.

It's working through google.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

My thoughts on White Hole.

It's a bit of a nothing episode for me - that is to say it doesn't do a lot for me. Or at least it doesn't until we reach the pool-with-planets sequence at the end.

However, this episode does contain one of RD's funniest ever lines, when Rimmer, on hearing Kryten quote a Space Corps Directive that suggests he should give up his hologramatic life, replies, "Yes, but Rimmer Directive 271 states just as clearly, "No chance you metal bastard." :lol:

6. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I would love to see how the boys would've gone about fixing Holly if they hadn't made the timeline re-redundant after the planet pool.

Great episode, lots of funny lines from everyone.

7. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Recording this Wednesday so if you have any other comments, say them!

Thank you,

Jed

8. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

White hole always makes me think of talkie toaster!I really like the part where cat and lister are trying to cook eggs by cycle power(it sounds like a good money saving plan).A good funny episode :-D

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I like white hole... Most of DNA except the poor end.

Justice is funny... That's about it!

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

You only like three episodes of the entire Red Dwarf?

11. adamstoms

adamstoms Skutter

Hey all, I enjoyed White Hole, pretty solid episode where everyone gets a really solid gag.
    Here is a few thoughts and moments I enjoyed whilst watching it

Talkie Toastie…..most missed piece of merchandise ever?

So you’re a Waffle Man line gets me everytime

I’m fine thank you, Susan….an immortal line

Rimmer Directive 271 ‘No chance you metal bastard’

'Plug things in walls and press the on button'-Lister. (very true, people just expect things to work these days)

Watching this back, I find the ‘What is it’ gag quite tiresome

Pool with planets is just epic

‘you jammy goit’

More of Kryten’s broken programming at the end before time is reset

12. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I swear the post was about series 4?!

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:-D

The only thing I would hate to see miss Talkie Toaster is a 14lb lump hammer :roll:

14. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

the podcast hits at midnight so I need comments for next week...

Can I have your thoughts on... DIMENSION JUMP!

This episode will also feature Jo from TORDFC, so you can throw in some questions about the convention and the fan club too if you want!

thank you!

jed

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Fantastic episode, it's my other contender for favourite episode from series VI along with Justice. Based on the strength of this episode it's obvious why Ace Rimmer became such a fan favourite. Also I know this is an odd comment but this was the episode that features my favourite Starbug crash!

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Love this episode. Ace Rimmer at his finest.

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

A really good episode, the one that brought us both Ace Rimmer and the line "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" and also gave us a bit more insight into Rimmer's background. So many good moments in this one that it'd take too much time to list them, but I thought the two Rimmer's bitterness towards one another was very well done and Lister's line about the "long drawn out death rattle of a man suffering from terminal flatulence" still makes me laugh over 20 years since I first heard it.

If I had to make a criticism, there is some dodgy green-screening when the Wildfire leaves with Ace and the Top Gun homage seems a bit dated these days but that's seems like fairly petty nitpicking to be honest.

I definitely agree with the rest of the crew when it comes to Morris dancing though.

18. Unrumble

Unrumble Third Technician

"Afraid I'm going to have to do something a bit sissy now: black out."

"Go on, he's probably picked a ring."

"Would it make a difference if it was......humus?" *furious comedy scribbling*

The whole bitter diatribe that ends with "drinking mint julips, whipping the houseboy"

"Ace and Skipper?!"

Everything in the opening scene: "dear Rimmer, we have gone on a fishing holiday..."

"Haven't we got to sit behind a woman clutching a baby?!"

"The man'a a maggot"

"What a guy"

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ah, Dimension Jump. It would be easy to dismiss this simply as "Ace Rimmer visits from another dimension and shows how much of a failure our Rimmer is", but it isn't - or at least not quite.

There's a lot of good jokes here, especially the bits before the crew meets Ace. Seeing his dimension in which he's well regarded and would do anything for anyone, then the scene on Starbug which is brilliant. When Ace comes on board it does change the dynamic - suddenly the crew have something they all agree with rather than bickering, that Ace is, well, ace - all except Rimmer.

However, what makes the story for me is that it highlights the point where Rimmer started to become who he is, and does give him some sympathy. The fact that Ace - not he - was held back a year is a pretty good revelation. As I said, it would have been easy to simply say "this is where Ace pops up" and miss the scene with young Rimmer, and Ace's explanation to Lister, but the fact they're included simply rounds off an excellent episode. Ace will be missed, as this was his one true appearance (let's face it, the others weren't a patch on this).

I should also add that I don't watch Dimension Jump often - probably because, like various other episodes (Gunmen, Back To Reality) I think it's overhyped. Or I've probably seen it too much. Often, when I pick an episode to watch, I'll try to go for one I don't know that well, but I've found I've been forgetting bits of Dimension Jump. It could probably do with a rewatch.

20. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I find Rimmer in this episode really relatable with how he's left out by the others and no one else liking his hobbies. It hurts not to be asked and left out by everyone even if it is doing something that you don't like. He tries so hard but nothing works for him and in comes this other version of himself that has everything he never did and wanted. I know if I was younger and I met another version of myself that could do everything I couldn't it would leave me feeling depressed. Now days it would just fascinate me meeting another version of myself, even a more successful one. Young Rimmer was also relatable with being left alone hanging in the tree, I had a similar incident happen to me in primary school and was left hanging literally for over an hour with no other students helping me. Young Rimmer's mother is horrible. It always makes me angry that she just left him while talking about how poorly he was doing at school.

Rimmer telling Kryten to avoid stars and planets reminds me so much of Keeping Up Appearances with how Hyacinth always tells Richard how to drive and avoid things that aren't anywhere near him.

I love this episode because I love to dislike Ace. Chris Barrie has done an excellent job acting as Ace creating a separate character and seeing Rimmer hate Ace was so enjoyable.