RDXI Rank Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Pendo, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Now that we've seen all of Series XI, how would you rank the episodes?

My rankings are likely to change on further repeat viewings but for now I would put them as:
    1. Give & Take
    2. Can of Worms
    3. Krysis
    4. Twentica
    5. Samsara
    6. Officer Rimmer

I know Officer Rimmer being last place would be shocking for some but I really didn't take to that episode. I think the series has been really strong and found it really difficult to rank them as they've all been really entertaining.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

1. Give and Take - Brilliant old-school Red Dwarf, with a wonderfully clever twist.
    2. Twentica - A good Series VI "lost episode" feel, a little busy at times but some great guest stars.
    3. Officer Rimmer - Abrupt ending aside, a great Series IV style concept and a wonderful performance by Chris Barrie.
    4. Can of Worms - A slow, ponderous start that picks up greatly and ends up a solid episode despite a lot of unnecessary plot devices that should have been jettisoned.
    5. Samsara - An interesting core concept and direction, spoiled by some lame attempts at creating "classic" dialogue scenes and a nothing ending.
    6. Krysis - Part 27 of the spin-off show "Doug Naylor's problems with modern living".

3. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I'm still to see "Can of Worms" waiting for it to air on Dave next Thursday.

Of the episodes I have seen I very much like what I have seen, the amount of nods to episodes and series past have also helped and been a comforting throwback to yesteryear.

Still can't quite get over that this series was the same budget as Series 10, the VisFX are quite literally out of this World and are so terrific its quite hard not to believe that ILM were involved.

4. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

1 - Give And Take
    2 - Officer Rimmer
    3 - Can Of Worms
    4 - Twentica
    5 - Krysis
    6 - Samsara

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

This is, by quite a margin, the finest Series of Dwarf since VI. It took the positive things from Series X, and for the most part jettisoned it's smeggier aspects, creating a Series much more in keeping with classic Dwarf than it's 4 predecessors. I never thought Id ever say again that a new series of Dwarf is devoid of any truly bad episodes, but that is the case with Series XI. My ranking of the individual episodes are:

1. Give And Take - 9/10
    2. Can Of Worms - 8.5/10
    3. Samsara - 8/10
    4. Krysis - 7.5/10
    5. Twentica - 7.5/10
    6. Officer Rimmer - 7/10

6. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey First Technician

I'd go:

1: Can Of Worms - Seemed endlessly fun and fast paced, loved seeing Cat the way he used to be again too! I'd missed him!
    2: Give & Take - Some nice time-travelly shenanigans and paradoxes that gave me warm fuzzy series 2 vibes!
    3: Officer Rimmer - Sudden ending aside I really enjoyed watching the Dwarfers fall foul of Rimmers ego and ambition again.
    4: Krysis - Fairly bland one. Middle of the road.
    5: Twentica - I'm afraid the main speakeasy joke just got bludgeoned to death eventually.
    6: Samsara - The flashbacks and the endless Cat/Lister exchange will be tough for repeated viewings. So I put this one in last place.

Basically I think my top 3 there all took me back to the old red dwarf I loved years ago. So it was a fifty-percent brilliant series and that in itself puts it above series 7,8,BTE and X for me.

Looking forward to next year! :-D

7. bedfordfalls

I hope Doug is getting feedback on the near universal praise for Give and Take compared to the general feeling that Krysis wasa bit dodgy and that it influences his direction for future series.

Except, of course, he's already made the next series!

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Twentica - This one was always going to appeal to me as it has a lovely season 6 feel to it (my favourite season). This was just everything that I want from a Red Dwarf episode: funny, good storyline, great sets and special effects, memorable guest performances. Perhaps the most important aspect though was that for the first time since 1993, this felt like Red Dwarf.

Officer Rimmer - As often, a Rimmer-based episode turns out to be great. This again felt like classic Dwarf with its good use of sci-fi concepts, great performances, and some typical Dwarf absurdities.

Can of Worms - A wonderfully satisfying mixture of a good plot, funny lines and bizarre visual humour.

Krysis - Despite my misgivings about Kryten having a midlife crisis, this one turned out pretty good.

Give and Take
    - Not bad, but I feel that most others like it a lot more than I do.

Samsara - A good episode let down by the long, boring Cat/Lister conversations.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Give and Take - I love this episode, incredibly smart and well written. This episode I feel was the kind of character comedy they were shooting for in series X, but it is done infinitely better here....This episode really sets the bar to show that Doug can still make truly fantastic episodes even without Rob Grant!

Twentica - This episode was a strong opener which really showed that this was going to be a far more adventurous series then X was. This episode also was also an impressive feat technically given Red Dwarf's budget, even with a slightly rushed ending this episode was a lot of fun!

Can of Worms - This episode was the one I hard the most trouble collecting my feelings on, but I've decided that I actually really liked this one....even if we probably didn't need Polymorph part 3. Still there was a lot of great gags here and it was great that cat got his own episode, light years better then Emohawk!

Officer Rimmer - Despite being maybe the second most flawed episode this series, it doesn't take away from the fact that most of it is filled with fantastic moments and ideas. Had things been tighter in this episode it might have been my favourite, but it's still a fun episode.....shame about that ending though!

Krysis - This episode is fine, but it's really nothing that spectacular. There is actually some heart to this episode but is bogged down by moments like the gelf scene. Also much of it all seemed far too familiar, the Nova 3 scene felt like a redo of Legion and the Universe was borrowing too much from Futurama!

Samsara - This episode fell flat for me, it's nothing too terrible but it's also pretty stale and meandering. To be fair the first half of the episode has some pretty big laughs, but it's a half baked episode that recycles an old idea but does little of interest with it.

10. bedfordfalls

You seem to be one of the few that really didn't care for Give & Take. While I don't expect many to share my opinion that it was one of the best episodes the show has ever done, I'm curious that you could rank it below Krysis...especially when you rank what I consider to be the other poor episode of the series,Samsara below it.
    If I might ask, what are your all time favourite episodes? I'm genuinely interested in the link in comedy and sci-fi tastes.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Give and Take I found somewhat mediocre. I thought the first third and the last third were all right, but that it sagged in the middle. And I'm baffled as to why so much praise is being heaped upon it. As for my favourite episodes, my top five are: Back to Reality, Out of Time, Gunmen, Marooned...and Quarantine (yes, I know everyone hates it, but something about the episode appeals to me).

12. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Still trying to get my head around Can of Worms, can't decide if I like it or not.

Generally speaking I think XI was a great series, certainly better than X, BTE abd VIII and about on a par with VII for me, which I'm a fan of.

Twentica: My favourite, I liked the guest stars and it was a pretty cool looking episode. Nice plot.

Give and Take: Like many people I thought this was a really cool episode, love how the time travel paradoxes link the episode together. Great to have a proper menacing villain too, which was nicely balanced by a fun, whacky one.

Samsara: Fun episode with a nice unique plot. I get why people don't like the Cat/Lister R-chemedies scene but I do, I think we're supposed to be annoyed by it and want Kryten to come and rescue Lister. I actually think the end is ok though it would have made more sense for Rimmer to discover Lister has been hording Mineopoly cards.

Krysis: Enjoyed his a lot more than many others I think. In fact I really like the scene where Kryten shows off his new suit and has a little dance with Cat. I think Butler was a great guest star, it was performed amazingly well, he really captured that 'so smug you want to vomit' vibe.

Officer Rimmer: The episode I saw recorded which turned out to be a mixed blessing. I'm still kind of perturbed by the fact the first 5 minutes was cut and replaced by a short extension to the Starbug scene, as it included two key issues that feature iin the resolution to the episode. They also cut my favourite joke and the 'tiny teaser' from the G and T set report. Anyway overall I liked it, nice simple and funny plot, lots of funny scenes/moments.

Can of Worms: Ranking this last for the time being as its just so weird and I'm still digesting it. I definitely do like it though, and will watch it again tomorrow.

I haven't given any individual ratings out of 10 as I feel its too restrictive but for the series as a whole I give it 8.5/10.

13. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Doesn't Bluey usually keep track of all the episode ratings? Experience tells me I'll have to watch the series for about a decade before really settling on how I rate it. But for now:

1.Can of Worms

2.Officer Rimmer

3.Give and Take

4.Krysis

5.Samsara

6.Twentica

14. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

My fave is definitely Officer Rimmer. I will have to rewatch the whole series to rank them firmly.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Right here and now I'll go with this (with current marks out of 10 included). Tbh numbers 3 and 4 pretty much interchangeable at this point.

1. Twentica - 9
    2. Can of Worms - 9
    3. Give & Take - 9 (previously 8 )
    4. Officer Rimmer - 9
    5. Krysis - 8
    6. Samsara - 8 (previously 7)

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Damn, I wish I liked this series as much as you did!

1. Give and Take - 9
    2. Twentica - 8
    3. Can of Worms - 8
    4. Officer Rimmer - 7
    5. Krysis - 6
    6. Samsara - 5

17. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

It's nice to read this from at least one person! If you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity, what was the first series of Red Dwarf you saw?

18. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Series 11 has been an utter joy and delight that I've eagerly looked forward to every episode. It's been a welcome 30 minute unreality bubble that lived up to expectations based on the recording previews. Next September is too far away. None have dissaopointed but my immediate ranking is as follows.

1.Officer Rimmer - made me laugh out loud the most
    2.Krysis
    3.Twentica
    4.Samsara
    5.Can of Worms
    6.Give and Take

Pleased to confirm that series 11 has the Royal seal of approval and the monarchy views are as follows.

“superb” – King Craig
    “Superb” – King Christopher
    “Superb” – King Daniel
    “superb” – King Robert

It’s official series 11 is 4 King superb:-D

19. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

Officer Rimmer
    Can Of Worms
    Give And Take
    Krysis
    Twentica
    Samsara

Can Of Worms and Give And Take could be interchangeable. I'll have to watch them all again when the DVD comes out.

20. _Pree_

_Pree_ Skutter

Did like all the episodes 8)
    I'm going to change my mind in a min but ftm i rank them like this,

Give and take
    Krysis
    Officer Rimmer
    Can of worms
    Samsara
    Twentica