RDXI Rank Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Pendo, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I seem to be different to some, mostly where Samsara is concerned:

1) Give and Take
    2) Samsara
    3) Can of Worms
    4) Krysis
    5) Officer Rimmer
    6) Twentica

All it proves is, as ever, Red Dwarf is different things to different people. There's people out there who love Series VIII. Many people's worst episodes are someone else's best.

But, hey, we're Red Dwarf fans. I think there's something we can mostly all agree on though: Series XI is the best Red Dwarf we've had for a long time.

2. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

I've only watched the episodes once, so this ranking is bound to change in time...

1st) Officer Rimmer: Pure comedy gold, I absolutely loved this. I need a re-watch to confirm it, but I think I can say this isn't only one of my favourite Red Dwarf episodes of all time, but it's also one of the best 30 minutes of TV sitcom I've ever seen.
    2nd) Give and Take: A very, very good episode. Worthy of "Classic Dwarf" status.

Genuinely think the above two episodes were stellar and can stand toe-to-toe with the familiar gems of I/II-IV. My third and fourth episodes though (heck, arguably the fifth too) are more complicated for me to rank.

3rd) Krysis: To continue, at this point I'm in two minds about calling this my third favourite episode of the series. The episode doesn't have the best opening for me, the repeated midlife crisis references are a bit on-the-nose, and I didn't buy Kryten's resolution (the love stuff) but I really liked Butler and Morgan Universe, and Kryten's first scene in the red outfit is hilarious.
    4th) Can of Worms: Again, I'm in two minds about this episode. I basically feel I could watch this again and it's a fifty-fifty split whether this could rise to my third favourite episode... or my least favourite episode. I haven't truly made my mind up on this one yet.
    5th) Samsara: It's not the use of flashbacks that bothers me. It's that (and this is just the way I see it) the acting and the comedy within the flashbacks gets progressively worse with each scene. And the Cat-Lister R-Chimedes scene is perhaps too long. This is an episode I'm particularly eager to rewatch. I may well enjoy it more second time round...
    6th) Twentica: This is bottom of the pile because that speakeasy scene for me is the low-light of Series XI (seriously, if that scene had been considerably condensed then I would hold this episode in much higher regard than I currently do (I remember really digging the first half of the episode...)).

3. McCloud

McCloud Third Technician

1. Give & Take
    2. Samsara
    3. Krysis
    4. Officer Rimmer
    5. Twentica
    6. Can of Worms

It's usually the case I'll have to go back to recent episodes to fully appreciate them. Although I have to say it was such a strong series even 6th places shouldn't be called worst - just the least best.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

1. Give & Take
    2. Officer Rimmer
    3. Krysis
    4. Can of Worms
    5. Samsara
    6. Twentica

5. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I think my ranking is probably something along the lines of:

1. Samsara - It's just the episode that made me laugh the most. Whilst I originally thought the stuff with Cat and Lister dragged on, I seem to laugh more every time I re-watch it.
    2. Give and Take - This almost made it to first place, but I don't like the way Cat is written in it (he's too selfish and weaselly), and the drawn-out "I'm a snack dispenser" joke just annoyed me.
    3. Officer Rimmer - Really weird episode with a missing ending, but I thought Rimmer was very funny throughout. The Rimmer monster was an interesting idea.
    4. Krysis - A premise I thought I would hate, but it wasn't as cringe-worthy as I thought it would be. The way Kryten gets over his midlife crisis is just too abrupt for me, however. Something should have happened that showed Kryten that the crew love him.
    5. Can of Worms - Ugh. I hated this episode. Cat was too stupid, there are multiple plot holes, and it has a terrible wrap-up. I did think the Polymorph birthing scene was funny, however, despite how weird it was.
    6. Twentica - Only ranked lower than Can of Worms because of the long, drawn-out bar scene, and terrible jokes I could see coming a mile away (eg. Rimmer going on about how he might have a plan). The only time I laughed at all was at Kryten's cement-mixer line.

6. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

1) Samsara - It's a decent episode, I really liked the Rchimedes discussion because I feel like the original childishness and naïveté of Cat has been lost over the years and is brought back quite well here. Most XI episodes started with a scene which seemed useless, but this one was by far the most interestingly linked. While all this makes it a good episode, the episode was really made for me before there was a single piece of dialogue with the opening model shots & music cue. Probably going to remain around one of my favorite episodes of Red Dwarf for this reason.

2) Officer Rimmer - A beautiful piece on AJ. It's really unique in the way that, for once, Rimmer isn't the one putting himself in power, so he can truly use it and show us who he would be as a leader. It shows that he, after all these years, still believes himself above the rest of the crew. much more important to his character and the show than it might first seem.

3) Can of Worms - I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this as I'd seen the RT spoilers, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a good revisit to Polymorphs. I'm still sad that it wasn't quite the 'Cat episode' we'd all wanted, but you can't have everything, and I thought the rushing fit the tale nicely because of the way it seemed it would have rushed for the crew (except the pregnancy length, but with how quickly the PMs matured I wouldn't be surprised if that was quick too)

4) Krysis - I watched this quite skeptically at first, which probably skewed my opinion, but honestly this episode was a bit odd for me, without the XI-standard opening scene which came back around to be more important than appearances. Other from that though, the most intriguing part of this episode to me is still probably less of anything which was said in the episode and more of interest in how long they spent in stasis. This may be one of the most important things in the entire show to me.

5. Give & Take Funny I should put this second-to-last, honestly, because somehow, on an objective scale, this would score below Twentica, and yet it just feels better anyhow. While I loved the premise of this episode and loved Snacky (a real shame he wasn't back in Officer), it just felt like it had a gap in the middle - no, not the commercial break, an actual time in the plot which just felt useless.

6. Twentica I suppose I just don't like this episode because it felt over-Dwarfed, and I like new things much more than I like retrying the old ones. This one just felt so much more refreshing at first view, but after that, I was ready to move along. The science innuendoes certainly didn't help.

That being said, I loved the whole series and will rewatch all of it.

BigOleMummy likes this.
  7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I completely agree with the entirety of this comment, but I will add that I enjoyed Krysis a lot more than I thought I would, and a lot more than many other people did. I loved the Butler character and the episode did have me laughing for a good deal of it.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Funniest:

1. Officer Rimmer
    2. Can of Worms
    3. Twentica
    4. Give & Take
    5. Samsara
    6. Krysis

Overall Favourite:

1. Give & Take
    2. Krysis
    3. Officer Rimmer
    4. Can of Worms
    5. Twentica
    6. Samsara

If I was rating any other comedy show, I'd probably rate it solely on how funny I found it. Red Dwarf is strange as there are so many other elements that you have to consider, it's never just about the comedy. Samsara is low in both my lists, but I have a feeling that it may grow on me (equally, I suspect that Can of Worms may slip a bit in future).

This is where series XI currently sits in my series ranking:

II > V > III > I > IV > XI > VI > X > VII > BTE > VIII.

I definitely enjoyed it more than I enjoyed VI on first viewing!

9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

After getting XI on DVD and watching it last night, I just wanted to come back here and give a little more solid view of how I rank the series. My rankings originally (along with the scores I gave in the individual episode threads:-(

1st) Officer Rimmer - 8.5 out of 10
    2nd) Give and Take - 8 out of 10
    3rd) Krysis - 7 out of 10
    4th) Can of Worms - 7 out of 10
    5th) Samsara - 7 out of 10
    6th) Twentica - 6 out of 10

This is what I think of Series XI now...

1st) Officer Rimmer - 10
    2nd) Give and Take - 7.5
    3rd) Samsara - 7
    4th) Krysis - 7 / 6.5
    5th) Twentica - 6
    6th) Can of Worms - 6 / 5.5

- I love Officer Rimmer. I really, really do. I was quite conservative about my initial rating of it, but I suppose that was because I never thought that I would enjoy the episode again as much as I did the first time I saw it. Boy, was I wrong! On the other hand, my ranking for Give and Take goes down just a tidge because it wasn't as good as I first thought it was, but only just.

- My view of Samsara is more defined than it was before. I found it funnier on second viewing, and the flashbacks weren't that bad in hindsight. And the Cat-Lister R-Chimedes scene? Intentionally frustrating, but genuinely hilarious. Krysis is just as good but the ending (Kryten's love realisation to remedy his midlife crisis) I still don't buy.

- Regarding Twentica: great, GREAT story (and I mean that), but I just don't find it that funny. The majority of the jokes fall flat for me, so from a comedic aspect what really makes the episode is Kevin Eldon.

- Cannot wrap my head around Can of Worms. I think the life signs gag and Mercenoid encounter are classic Dwarf, but I found the rest of the episode quite iffy. For me, the Cat shines most this series in Samsara.

Might I add too that XI visually-speaking is STUNNING. Absolutely stunning. I cannot wait for series XII...

10. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

1) Give and Take, 9
    2) Can of Worms, 7
    3) Samsara, 7.
    4) Officer rimmer, 6.
    5) Krysis, 4.
    6) Twentica, 3.

11. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Hmmm I think for me it would go..

Officer Rimmer
    Krysis
    Give and Take
    Can of worms
    Twentica
    Samsara

Really liked them all though but just wasnt super fused on Samsara, not even cause I didnt like the Cat and Lister stuff, I just didnt like the stuff with the Scottish lady.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

1. Give and Take
    2. Twentica
    3. Krysis
    4. Samsara
    5. Officer Rimmer
    6. Can of Worms

I've already mentioned the reasons why in the rate series I to XI thread but all very strong to excellent/amazing episodes - the best series since 1993 by a fair distance.

13. RainbowGazelle

I've recently re-watched the whole series. I seems better every time I watch it. Here are my revised thoughts on each episode for anyone who cares. I'll even try rating them:

Twentica - Still boring. An interesting idea, but many unfunny jokes. Rimmer's "Why don't you ask me for a plan. No I don't have one" was so obvious, it was painful waiting for the joke to be over. Also, Lister's negotiator bit at the start would have been funny if Rimmer hadn't explained the joke halfway through. And need I say more about Harmony's speech? Overall, I didn't hate the episode, but I didn't love it. It was just kinda 'meh'. 5/10

Samsara - I find this to be a great, funny episode. The plot isn't perfectly coherent, but it just about gets away with it. Cat's "and are all now having a bath..." line makes me laugh every time. The ending feels a touch rushed, but this is definitely one of the best episodes of the series. 8/10

Give & Take - Gets better every time I see it! Asclepius is deliciously demented, and comes across as genuinely scary. Rimmer and Kryten being heroic was a high point for me. The plot is very good and ties up nicely. Although, I find Cat to be a bit too selfish in this one. Snacky is funny enough, and Rimmer is very funny with a smaller role in this episode. Probably the best episode in the series. 9/10

Officer Rimmer - I love the plot, and find it to be a very funny episode, but that damn ending is terrible. It's so rushed, and the way Rimmer gives up his officer role feels extremely unrewarding. The Rimmer Monster, however, is a really cool, creepy idea, that comes off surprisingly well. Overall, a pretty good episode. 7/10

Krysis
    - A surprisingly solid episode. Nothing too hilarious, but decent viewing. Butler is very well done, and actually talking to the universe is a neat idea. Rimmer's sass to the universe is very funny. Good episode, although they probably didn't need to mention the phrase "mid-life crisis" about 100 times. 7/10

Can Of Worms
    - When I first watched this I thought it was the worst episode in the history of the show. Whilst I'm now not sure if it's as bad as the likes of Pete - part 2, it's still an absolutely terrible episode. The personality tuck machine is a good idea that's completely wasted, Cat is far too stupid, as is Kryten for not scanning the Polymorph earlier and allowing Cat to escape with the morphlings. There's barely a funny line, and the plot towards the end gets utterly nonsensical; Lister is given a personality tuck for no reason, Kryten suddenly suspects Lister of being a Polymorph after walking in with him, Kryten and Rimmer split up, and Cat goes from wanting to protect the morphlings to suddenly killing them no bother and just 'knowing' which copies are the morphlings. Just awful. 3/10

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  14. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Tough critic!

15. UltraDevotee

Can of Worms does have plot issues as mentioned before but it is an improvement on series 10's weak link Dear Dave. It has just about enough quality comedy to compensate for plot issues and make it a fairly above average episode of RD. But I am glad it was shown last as due to it being the least strong it would have killed the momentum that last year's excellent series 11 built up as each week passed. Still like I said it is an improvement on Dear Dave.

All the other episodes are simply quality.

16. RainbowGazelle

I keep hearing people talk about Dear Dave being a low point, but I enjoyed it a lot. I'd rather watch it any day over Can Of Worms.

17. UltraDevotee

TBH, I hate to backtrack a bit but thinking about it although Dear Dave has issues, it has its positives as well. I think the problem is the last time I watched it - 2 years ago almost exactly - I found it a bit underwhelming and only just above average as a Red Dwarf episode. But I remember generally though when I watched it several times after series 10 had been broadcast I found it to be a grower.

So overall, as it is technically most times I have watched it that I have got some pleasure from it maybe that is enough for it seen as just about adequate as a RD episode.

As an episode that harks back to series 1/2 of Red Dwarf it is not bad really. The Hayley Summers post plot is simply classic Dwarf and some of the humour like the football gag, subutteo gag and especially the finger wetting machine are some of the very finest of the 2012 run.

I think what bothered me last time I watched was the literally execrable end to one of the sub-plots that I thought was like the ugly half of series 8.

Still it is just about good enough as like a series 1/2 style episode.

So the interesting thing is what do I now think in comparison to series 11's least strong Can of Worms. I think to be honest despite the plot issue with the personality tuck machine I might still prefer Can of Worms tbh just about as there is some vintage humour throughout the episode that pulls it above.

18. BigOleMummy

BigOleMummy Supply Officer

I think XI is one of the better series period. Here's my ranking of episodes:

1. Officer Rimmer - I just think this is one of the better episodes of not only this series but of Red Dwarf period. The smugness Rimmer exudes when promoted is palpable. Chris did an outstanding job here, the smugness and vanity of the "original" Rimmer, the toadying of the lower ranking Rimmers (Barbershop quartet)and the look on the face of the waiter Rimmer is just spot on. You KNOW he thinks he's better than that. I too felt the ending was a little rushed but hey, a cowardly weasel like Arnold would most definitely give up his life's dream to save his scrawny neck. Rimmer through and through.

2. Krysis - One word = Butler. Easily one of the best if not THE best one off character ( Cassandra, Legion etc.) in all Red Dwarf. Geez, I even liked the talking Universe bit.

3. Can of Worms - Cats desperation about not being found out about being a virgin!!!!!! Excellent and as funny as it gets. Actually, I've thought about that aspect before, him being the last (that we know of) of HIS race .... I mean where is he going to find a REAL "ladycat"? Added to the fact that he was left on the Dwarf as a kitten/child leaves very little room/time for him to remedy that situation. I AM getting a little wore out with polymorphs though. Just sayin.

4. Give and Take - First I must say I don't care for "medical"- type shows and this is that in spades. Still a solid episode imho. Cats self interest .... ".... I thought you knew me..." is great.

5 & 6. - Twentica and Samsara - I rank these both about the same. Both ok but nothing more. Some good funny moments but I remember watching the DVD for the first time thinking.....man I hope it gets better than these. Twentica suffers FOR ME because ,well, the 20's era has been done to death at least on this side of the pond. Some funny parts but ........ Samsara is pretty much the same for me. I did not mind the flashbacks so much, they were/are needed for the back story but I felt too much time was spent on non-dwarfers. Hey .... we don't get enough R.D. as it IS, I want them on screen all the time!

Well, that's my thoughts on series XI. Overall one of the best of them with great stories, excellent sets and outstanding production values. Overall I'd give XI a 9.