RDXI / RDXII Rank The Dave Era

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Jarvio, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

SPOILERS

Sorry if a thread exists, but now that XII is over, let's do this.

1 - M-Corp
    Yeah, gotta be my favourite of the Dave era. Just consistently great, good story, funny jokes, memorable, engaging, and good guest star.

2 - Give And Take
    The mad medibot was classic dwarf. The story and sci-fi time-travel elements with Lister's organs were great.

3 - Officer Rimmer
    That guy's face getting printed wrong was just genius. All those Rimmers being obnoxious was great. The weak link is the ending, but that doesn't stop it from ranking this high.

4 - Skipper
    Fun episode, callbacks that work well. One for the fans, good Rimmer story.

5 - Entangled
    The standout of series 10 for me.

6 - Krysis
    The 'universe' stuff was very deep, and I liked that.

7 - Fathers And Suns
    A strong episode, I like the computer character. The only weakness is the chinese whispers subplot.

8 - Mechocracy
    It's all about Talkie Toaster.

9 - The Beginning
    Good character development for Rimmer.

10 - Twentica
    Interesting and memorable episode.

11 - Lemons
    Initially not a favourite, but it stands out.

12 - Siliconia
    Rimmer's emotional speech is a plus for me.

13 - Can Of Worms
    At the time I thought it was ok, but it's not a memorable episode for me.

14 - Samsara
    Not many laughs, but an interesting story.

15 - Cured
    Hitler ruined it a bit. Otherwise, decent-ish.

BIG GAP.

16 - Timewave
    Way too OTT, and I hated the camp captain.

17 - Trojan
    Boring IMO.

18 - Dear Dave
    Even more boring.

BIG GAP

19-21 - BTE 3, 2, then 1
    All rubbish IMO.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    The Cat likes this.
  2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I would have to think about it and probably rewatch all the episodes before coming to a conclusion, but I can say I'd put Fathers and Suns, Skipper, Samsara, Give and Take all pretty high up and Lemons at the very bottom, the only truly dreadful RD episode from the Dave era. Siliconia would be next

The Cat likes this.
  3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I will do this soon, but I'd like to point out that there's a reason we've got a spoiler policy and series labels in this conference.

4. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Oops sorry about that. I've added spoiler to the top of my post if that helps. Can @Seb please add SPOILERS to the thread title?

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Haven't seen Skipper yet, but will squeeze it in this list after watching it the 16th.

1. Officer Rimmer - Just a Classic R.D. episode for me. Can stand with the best.

2. M-Corp - Very good episode.

3. Skipper - Another Classic in the making.

4. Can of Worms - If for no other reason than "It still counts!" But there are plenty of other reasons.

5. The Beginning - Outstanding episode.

6. Krysis - An early favorite that's slipping for me, but not by much.

7. Trojan - This one doesn't get much love but its way up there in my book. The interaction between Rimmer and Frank... The phone ......

8. Samsara - I like it more each time I watch it after initially panning it. Probably the episode that's went up most in my opinion period.

9. Timewave - Uneven but a very nice show.

10. Mechocracy - Very good with some major flaws.

11. Entangled - Good solid episode.

12. Siliconia - Have a feeling it won't last this high but for now ;-)

13. Lemons - a sorta ....bland story to me. Like it more or less each time I see it.

14. B.T.E. 3 - Yeah, lol, I like it this much. If not a little higher sometimes actually.

15. Dear Dave - One of those "Any Red Dwarf is better than no Red Dwarf" episodes.

16. Twentica - Sorry everyone, I know the love out there for this one but I just can't see it. A few good lines but the Exponoids get all the laughs.

17. Give and Take - I just don't like medically themed shows as a rule and this one was just too formulistic on top of that.

18. Fathers and Suns - Probably higher than I really like it.

19. B.T.E. 2 - Much better than part 1

20. B.T.E. 1 - Potential there but suffers.

21. Cured - One of my least favorite episodes period. If not my least favorite.

Will stick in Skipper as soon as I can watch it. (edited to include)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM
  6. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I’ll have to rewatch the Dave era (planning to do a marathon of the whole thing anyway), but when I have, I’ll do mine!
    For me near the top would be Can of Worms, Mechocracy, Skipper, M-Corp, Give and Take, Samasara, The Beginning, Entangled, and Trojan...?

The ones at the bottom would be Fathers and Suns, BTE (all three), Timewave, Krysis, Siliconia, Cured...?

And this is why I have to rewatch to do this properly haha! Not like it’s a bad thing though, right!

And I know it’s off topic, but I’m already getting into the Christmassy mood (yes, I know it’s too early), and I was just wondering what a Christmas episode of Red Dwarf would be like...

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Best: Give & Take, The Beginning, Officer Rimmer, M-Corp, Mechocracy, Skipper
    Worst: Twentica, Samsara, Timewave, Lemons, Dear Dave, Can of Worms

8. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Have edited my above list to include Skipper. Placing it at #3 and dropping Entangled from 3 to 11. Which dropped #11 Siliconia to 12 and so dropping everyone else below one position.

9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

1st) Officer Rimmer: A classic episode of comedy in itself, let alone Red Dwarf.

2nd) Skipper: A thoroughly fun episode throughout.

3rd) Trojan: Will always be a favourite of mine because of the experience - Trojan feels like the first time I ever saw a proper Red Dwarf episode at the time of broadcast (Back to Earth... doesn't count!).

4th) Give and Take: Again, top-notch.

5th) Mechocracy: Red Dwarf doesn't have to be a constant adventure to be good, as this one proves.

6th) Siliconia: May drop down after a few rewatches. Loved the episode but hated the ending.

7th) Samsara: A great blend of comedy, mystery and a bit of romance here. Quite unique for Red Dwarf.

8th) Entangled: An adventure, and a fun one at that.

9th) Dear Dave: Very fond of this one. It's stripped back and, from what I'm aware, not part of the original plans for X, but it works for me.

10th) The Beginning: I just wish the villains and the threat could have been more menacing than they ended up being.

11th) Fathers and Suns: I really, really like this episode. Loved Lister's plot, loved Pree and her plot. This would be (a lot) higher, but the medibot and vending machines were too annoying imo.

12th) Timewave: More so than Siliconia, I reckon this one will slip down my list. Ziggy and the repetitive jokes are likely to grate, but there were things I did enjoy though (namely the opening moments up until they hit the timewave, Johnny Vegas, and the closing sequence with the Rimmer Critic).

13th) Can of Worms: I was going to put this and Krysis as joint 13th place since both of these episodes are gradually going up in my estimation the more I rewatch them, but this is more so the case with Can of Worms (Cat's weird personality change in the climax where he kills the Polymorphs still bugs me quite a deal, though).

14th) Krysis: See above!

15th) M-Corp: A good story, but I found the reduced comedic element in the second half of the episode pretty jarring. I think I'll like this one a lot more with a few rewatches.
    16th) Back to Earth: I appreciate this one deeply because without it, there'd be no X, XI or XII. But the tonal shift and metafictional element isn't my cup of tea. Seperately I'd rank them bottom of the list, but collectively the whole piece is alright.

17th) Twentica: Harsh? I think the episode's a lot of fun, but I don't laugh at it as much as I'd like to (the ending with Kevin Eldon is a hoot, though). All the same, it is another one I enjoy with more rewatches.

18th) Lemons: If ever there was an episode which doesn't feel like Red Dwarf, this might be the one.

19th) Cured: Might improve with rewatches. Maybe. For what's it worth, of all the episodes in the Dave era, Lemons and Cured are the only ones which I would say sucked.

10. naranja

naranja Skutter

Xi and xii are a lot better than what came before

1 Mechoracy

2 Samsara

3 Officer Rimmer

4 Skipper

5 M Corp

6 Give and Take

7 The Beginning

8 Fathers and Sons

9 Siliconia