Rate Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Bluey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A while back we had a thread for rating all the episodes of series 1 to 9, and now here's one for our series X ratings.

Give each episode a rating from 0 to 10 depending on how much you liked them, and at some point in the future I'll work out the average scores. It'll be interesting to see how the series X episodes compare with the previous ones. Here are my ratings:

Trojan - 4
    Fathers and Suns - 10
    Lemons - 4
    Entangled - 9
    Dear Dave - 7
    The Beginning - 7

2. bot_manga

bot_manga Skutter

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 8
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 4
    The Beginning - 9

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Trojan - 9
    Fathers And Suns - 8.5
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 6.5
    Dear Dave - 4
    The Beginning - 10

Overall rating - 8.5 (Much better than I hoped for before I watched the new series!)

4. luckvirus

luckvirus Skutter

Trojan: 8
    Fathers and Suns: 10
    Lemons: 7
    Entangled:8.5
    Dear Dave:8
    The Beginning:9

avg:8.41

Overall, it was a pretty great series. Trojan was clever. Fathers and Suns was very enjoyable and the plot was very well written.
    Lemons was too steeped in the past. It made it seem like a completely different show but their were enough good jokes in it.
    The Entangled bit was too goofy to leave any suspension of disbelief but the joke is pulled of well and a well structured plot saves this one. The bits with the vending machines in Dear Dave are hysterical. It isn't that plot heavy but all the jokes are well executed. The Beginning setss up some major punchlines which work quite well in this episode. This felt short for a finale and the fake simulant wasn't all that funny at first, but it got better as it went along. The simulant scenes were actually pretty good, but again I was anxious to see the episode shift back into it's major plot points which it did and did well. This was a great finale and somehow even managed to tie up and slightly make fun of the fact that series 8 made the show very difficult to rationalize plotwise. I'm just spitballing here but I think Rimmer died at the end of Series 8 and inevitably saved the crew then somehow red dwarf's rimmer or another rimmer is on in series 10. Not that it really matters, but things like this might at least keep the forums alive.

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Maybe hindsight will give me a different view, but right now, this is how I'd rate series X alongside the other series':

1. III
    2. I
    3. VI
    4. IV
    5. V
    6. II
    7. X
    8. VII
    9. VIII
    10. BTE

:-)

6. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

We could debate the classic series ranking till the end of time, but I'd say that is spot on for post series XI stuff.

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Episodes:

Trojan - 8
    Fathers And Suns - 7
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 6
    Dear Dave - 6
    The Beginning - 10

And for the fun of it:

Series 3
    Series 5
    Series 6
    Series 2
    Series 10
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 9
    Series 8
    Series 7

(I await complaints for putting 1 and 4 so far down).

8. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

I have only seen each of the new episodes once so I would be uncomfortable giving them an individual score. However overall, I feel Red Dwarf X was a resounding success and a return to classic form. I believe this series will be very fondly remembered in years to come and sincerely hope that it has been successful enough to give Dave or whoever else, the impetus to make further series.....;-)

9. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 7
    Lemons - 4
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 6
    The Beginning - 6

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 6
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 7
    Dear Dave - 5
    The Beginning - 8

My ratings aren't series inclusive but place the episodes against where I think they'll stand in the overall pantheon of Red Dwarf. Overall it was an enjoyable, relatively satisfying series that never reached the heights of classic Dwarf but never plunged the depths of series 8 either (although it skated close to both on occasion).

What I will remember it as most is an uneven series where for everything there was to love there was also something slightly annoying or distracting that nulled the potential a little. Overly broad performances from Chris Barrie in every single episode were one of the points I would criticise, especially when his character was given such potentially wonderful bookends to the series that he, sadly, either shouted or hammed to death (Yes I'm including 'The Beginning' which should have been very moving but wasn't thanks to the broad delivery).
    The series other problem was its tendency to overcomplicate plots with unecessary C-plots leaving no room for the quiet moments of pathos that have always been an essential part of classic Dwarf. In many cases episodes with the potential to be classics such as Dear Dave were dragged down into averageness by wearying C-plots that felt totally unecessary as well as out of place in Dwarf.

It was pleasant to see the series retain its overall quality in its second half though (an area where both VII and VIII came undone after strong starts. The bottle show aside, Entangled and The Beginning matched the quality of the series opener Trojan and, importantly, managed to do so without having to sit through the latter's famous "crap first five minutes".
    Equally pleasant was the attention to detail restored in this series with genuine expository attempts to explain even the smallest of things, nice little nods to continuity and the feeling that the scripts in general were always safe zones with no danger of ever returning to the kind of lazy territory that produced "mirror universe machines" out of nowhere.
    The attention to detail in X was one of my favourite things about the series.

I never expected series X to match the heights of the classic era: that will always be impossible for numerous reasons far more wide ranging than simply the absence of Rob Grant. All I hoped for was a show that further cemented series 8 as an unfortunate mistake in Dwarf's history; a freakshow season that could be laughed off with the knowledge that it wasn't the last word on the show. Back to Earth gave me this closure in part but series X cemented it and if it is the last we ever see of Dwarf then its not a bad goodbye.

I do however hope for series XI, if only because I hope Doug can take the lessons learned from this series, tighten things up a little and deliver an even better final series. Plus...I really do hanker after seeing Lister get his dream.

Overall: 7/10

An encouraging resurrection. By no means an overwhelming success but certainly deserving of another shot, provided lessons are learned.

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

7/10 - Trojan
    6/10 - Father And Suns
    3/10 - Lemons
    8/10 - Entangled
    6/10 - Dear Dave
    7/10 - The Beginning

Stand out episode was Entangled with some brilliantly funny lines and a good story that harkened back to the old days. Trojan and The Beginning were also rather good episodes with the Moose gag being the funniest bit of the whole series for me. Worst part by far was Lemons, but if I removed that awful (for me) episode then I think it was a rather solid series.

RAGE

12. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Gerald, you missed series I, where would you rate that?

RAGE

13. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Indeed I did... Here we Go...

SERIES X EPISODE RATINGS
    The Beginning - 10/10... Have previously niggled with 9's and 9.5's but what the hell... it was a perfect 10!
    Entangled - 8/10
    Trojan and Lemons - 7/10
    Dear Dave - 5/10... if only for the cat finger-wetting scene. Drove it up from a 4.
    Fathers and S[youtube]

SERIES RANKING
    SERIES V - Holoship, Back to reality, Quarunteen. All classics, don't think theres ANY weak epsodes!
    SERIES III - The ultimate series, classics like Marooned and Backwards, and only one week one IMO (Last day)
    SERIES II - Nice to see the dwarfers venture out for the first time. Few weak ones, but overall good with one of the best episodes ever in Queeg.
    SERIES X - After a long period of silence, the dwarfers return triumphantly. Whilst there are a few sticky moments, including a whole episode of such moments in Fathers and Suns... the series generally feels like old dwarf, and I wouldn't have trouble watching it and accepting it as part of the series. The Beginning has also become my ALL TIME favourite episode. I see Series X as a sort of, whart VI SHOULD have been. An equal mix of comedy and drama, but this time... it worked!!!
    Series IV - A few stinkers this time, Camille and DNA bore me to tears, whilst Meltdown and Dimension jump are classics. White hole is one of the best pieces of science fiction, never mind red dwarf, ever created.
    Series VII - Controversial I know, but I prefer it to VI. VI for me got dull, wheras VII was contantly moving, fastpaced. It marked a change to the more dramatic style and perhaps went too far, but then, it was more successful than series VI in my eyes, which did the same as Series X in mixing the two elements equally, and failed.
    Series VI - This is what I call the bridge between the Hilarious fifth series, and the funny but more drama orientated VII. It isn't as good as either. It tries to mix Drama and COmedy in equal proportions, rather than favouring one... in theory, a good idea. But here, it didn't work for me. I know many cite this as the best series, but it failed for me. Ah well!
    Series I - Without it we wouldn't have Red Dwarf, and yet even the creators didn't want it repeated. The scripts are good, but the production values are such that its hard to watch seriously. I like The End adn Future Echoes, but other than that there are no classics. As I say, its a great starting point, but for me, the series really got going with series III, and to a lesser extent, series II.
    Series VIII - I KNOW it's bad, I KNOW it's cheesy, panto and other things Red Dwarf shouldn't be... but I can't help but laugh at it. It is probably funnier than series VI, but series VI has the edge in that it doesn't make me want to kill myself for finding something so purile funny. It devolved into men behaving badly in space... but then, I quite like men behaving badly. Just not in red dwarf!!!

Notice I left out Back to earth, here's my reasoning...

BTE - I see this as what it is. A tribute. It was never meant to be anything more than a cheesy tribute to days gone by. It wasn't meant to be rip-roaringly funny, it wasn't meant to be ground-breaking. It was a loving tribute to days gone by, As such, I don't rate it among normal dwarf. To me, it was a way of saying... Hey, remember these guys... well, thanks for liking them, here they are again. And that's fine!

There, I included series 1 ;-) :lol:

14. picicata

picicata Skutter

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 4
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 5
    The Beginning - 8

An uneven series but still far better than anything in series Eight and Nine.

15. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

7/10 - Trojan
    9/10 - Father And Suns
    7/10 - Lemons
    6/10 - Entangled
    5/10 - Dear Dave
    8/10 - The Beginning

Rather controversially I found "Father And Suns" to be the best episode. I think this might have been mainly due to the stripped-back plot that took a single plot strand from "Ouroboros" and wove an insanely smart and funny episode around it. I love mind-bending episodes like this you wouldn't find anywhere else! Who'd have though that having Lister having father-son talks could be done so brilliantly. I particularly found the scenes with himself and the recording of himself to be simply the funniest point of the run bar-none, maybe because I identified with his child-like curiosity and attitude a great deal there :-)

Trojan and Lemons were both wierd. I was expecting Trojan to be better than it was, and Lemons to be worse - but they both even out as incredibly entertaining episodes that really quite surprised me. Again, the logic that led the crew on a voyage across the known world to find a lemon to power a returner-remote is exactly the sort of craziness that Red Dwarf thrives around. Meanwhile, Trojan switched clever for slapstick, focussing too much on face-pulling that intelligent laughs... but that's OK because you do need one or two episodes like this to balance everything out.

At the bottom of the pack, my least favourite was Dear Dave. While it entertained me for half an hour, and did it's job, there's nothing there that I can even remember right now (only a week after airing)... which is worrying.

Slightly better was Entangled. There were some rather funny moments (such as Cat and Kryten getting quantum-entangled, and Rimmer being the last one to know he'd been lost in a wager), but the last few scenes in particular made me feel like I was watching some inane quiz-show with no real consequences, as it was simply a long drawn-out guessing game. I can't see how there could be any real humour derived from making a 50/50 choice, and the scenes relied too much on false tension. While you knew that whichever button was pressed would be the right one, the scene was dragged out as painfully as an episode of "Millionaire" and I don't think it really worked at all.

All said and done, Red Dwarf X was a remarkable success. In hindsight I'm incredibly happy with what was produced, there's nothing there that destroyed by faith in the franchise or anything, indeed there's plenty that's given me hope in reassurance that the show still "has it", the crew were in top form and the sets were amazing. I particularly liked the way the show was produced in a style much more reminiscent of the early series, rather than the departure that was Back To Earth.

Now the touch-paper's been lit, let's see where the rocket that is Red Dwarf goes from here :-)

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What's your Fathers and Suns rating, Gerald?

17. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

8/10 - Trojan
    7/10 - Father And Suns
    7.5/10 - Lemons
    8/10 - Entangled
    6/10 - Dear Dave
    9/10 - The Beginning

Overall series rating 8/10

Overall Series:

1) Series 3
    2) Series 6
    3) Series 5
    4) Series 4
    5) Series 10
    6) Series 1
    7) Series 2
    8) Series 9 Back To Earth
    9) Series 8
    10) Series 7

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Trojan - 7
    Fathers and Suns - 3
    Lemons - 2
    Entangled - 3
    Dear Dave - 1
    The Beginning - 6

19. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

For myself...

Trojan - 9/10
    Fathers and Suns - 7/10
    Lemons - 6/10
    Entangled - 8/10
    Dear Dave - 9/10
    The Beginning - 9/10

If I had to pick a favorite of the series, it would probably be Trojan. Everyone was in fine form, and the guest actors (particualrly Howard) were great.

20. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

Absolutely amazing series over all.

Trojan 8/10
    Fathers and Suns 9/10
    Lemons 6/10
    Entangled 8/10
    Dear Dave 9/10
    The Beginning 10/10

Series wise

Series III
    Series VI
    Series II
    Series V
    Series X
    Series IV
    Series I
    BTE
    Series VII
    Series VIII

A real return for the boys from the Dwarf and I hope there is a future for it in some form! :-) (series, movie, specials, novels etc.)