Rate Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Bluey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

After having multiple viewings of each ep I now have a rating for each.

Trojan - 8
    Fathers and Suns - 8
    Lemons - 6
    Entangled - 9
    Dear Dave - 7
    The Beginning - 9.5

2. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Changed my mind on last episode...

7/10 Trojan
    6/10 Father And Suns
    3/10 Lemons
    8/10 Entangled
    6/10 Dear Dave
    8/10 The Beginning

Both Entangled and The Beginning are great episodes, and the best of the series. Trojan is almost as good!

RAGE

3. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

Trojan-6
    Fathers and sons-8
    Lemons-7
    entangled-8
    Dear dave-7
    The beginning-9

Series
    X

Under series 5 I'm not sure about the order I like every series but 5 and especially 6 stand out to me

4. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Trojan - 4
    Fathers and Suns - 2
    Lemons - 4
    Entangled - 4
    Dear Dave - 4
    The Beginning - 5

Those marks are out of 10, incidentally.

5. starlight84uk

starlight84uk Third Technician

Trojan - 9
    Fathers and Suns - 7
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 6
    Dear Dave - 4
    The Beginning - 10

6. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Trojan - 9/10
    Fathers And Suns - 6.5/10
    Lemons - 8/10
    Entangled - 9/10
    Dear Dave - 6.5/10
    The Beginning - 10/10

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Trojan 6/10
    Fathers and suns 8/10
    Lemons 5/10
    Entangled 6/10
    Dear dave 6/10
    The beginning 9/10

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

*Disclaimer: Okay, I'll join the rating of Series X, but at this early stage I fully reserve the right to change my mind at any given time! ;-)

Trojan - 7.5
    Fathers and Suns - 8.5 *
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 8.5 **
    Dear Dave - 7 ***
    The Beginning - 10

*Although F&S is not my highest rated episode of the series, it does contain what is perhaps my favourite Lister scene(s) of all time. And I loved the whole Pree plot too. If it wasn't for certain elements of the Taiwan Tony/Chinese whispers sub-plot, along with what I felt was a slightly over played medi-bot character (Although he's grown on me a bit since my first viewing), I may have given this a 9...possibly even a 10.

** Entangled may have got a higher mark too were the scene based around decoding the groinal exploder a bit better. Even the intense music couldn't sell to me that there was ever any genuine peril unfortunately. Loved the episode apart from that and a few geeky nitpicky bits and bobs though.

*** Initially I may have given Dear Dave a 5 or 6. But upon giving it a second viewing, while some of the 'production problems' were quite apparent (especially some of the green screen bits) for the most part I enjoyed this episode muchly. The plot is a bit weak, but that really doesn't bother me in this case. I've always loved ship-based episodes and enjoy seeing the more 'typically' day-to-day activities of the crew. :-)

9. _Pree_

_Pree_ Skutter

Trojan 6/10
    F&S 9/10
    Lemons 7/10
    Entangled 8/10
    Dear Dave 7/10
    The Beginning 8,5/10

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hmm...

Trojan - 8/10
    F&S - 5/10
    Lemons - 4/10
    Entangled - 7/10
    Dear Dave - 5/10 (because I felt it was brave to do such a series 1/2-esque episode)
    The Beginning - 7/10

11. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Here is a list of my best to worst of Series X in order:

1. The Beginning
    2. Trojan
    3. Fathers & Suns
    4. Lemons
    5. Entangled
    6. Dear Dave

This shows that for me, the series started off very strongly, but got progressively weaker as it wore on. Thankfully though, the best was saved until last, with the final episode of the series managing to surpass even the great series opener. :-)

12. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I agree, I think Trojan, Entangled, and the Beginning are the real highlight's of Series X
    more like classic Red Dwarf

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This thread's in need of a bump.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

The only episode I've seen multiple times is Trojan; the others, probably once or twice. This is probably why I rate it quite highly at the minute. Okay, so my initial ratings:

Trojan = 9/10
    Fathers & Suns = 7/10 (I especially enjoyed Lister in this episode. Some parts I didn't like but the scenes I did like, I really loved.)
    Lemons = 6/10 (I think this one will benefit from a lot of re-watches. I can't remember an awful lot from it, weirdly.)
    Entangled = 7/10 (Entertaining. Reminded me of Series VI. Didn't know what to make of the last quarter of this episode but I think it's rescued by the last line.)
    Dear Dave = 8/10 (Pleasantly surprised by this one; I thought it'd be the weakest of the lot, but I laughed. Alot. Really enjoyed it.)
    The Beginning = 8.5/10 (That last line though! Simulants! Peril! Character development! And some lovely model shots as well - it's nice to see Blue Midget get a bit more screen time.)

15. cougarric

cougarric Third Technician

I've now seen each episode at least 5 times, so here are my ratings.

I really enjoyed the series. Each episode improved with repeated viewings. I don't have a stand out favourite episode, nor do I have a least favourite. I thought it was solid, well written, extremely funny, and I can't believe I didn't miss Holly!

Trojan 7.5/10
    A good first episode, with a decent plot and an even better sub-plot (stirmaster).

Fathers and sons 7.5/10
    Loved the plot. Craig played a blinder here.

Lemons 7/10
    Expected to be the best episode, but doesn't quite make it. It's still great though and it's nice to be away from RD. Some good gags with the bag being particularly amusing.

Entangled 6/10
    The plot goes a bit awry in places. The choking scene near the end is still a mystery to me. But overall, in keeping with the high quality of the series, this is a funny episode.

Dear Dave 8/10
    My favourite at the moment. The scenes with the dispensing machines are pure comedy gold. Completely love the scene where Kryten finds Lister humping dispenser 23. Lister "I'm only trying to pick her up"; Kryten "It looks like you're past that stage already, sir!"

The Beginning 7/10
    Funny start, even funnier ending, with some pretty good bits inbetween.

I'd like to give each of the episodes one more point. But I'm wary that this is early days for the series, and it takes a few years for a series to sink in fully and be able to be rated against the other series.

Favourite scenes/quotes from the series.

Moose
    Lister humping dispenser 23
    Stirmaster

Looking forward to more of the same

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Glad I'm not the only one who loves the machine-humping scene. It's been much maligned on here, but it made me laugh. I think Dear Dave is going to be an episode that improves with rewatching for me. I originally gave it a 7, which is a pretty good rating already, but I might make it even higher after I've made my way through the DVD.

17. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Having now had a chance to watch the DVD, hence the episoddes sans annoying ad breaks...

TROJAN - 7/10 This one benefits from lack of break a lot.
    FATHERS AND SUNS - 4/10 Didn't like it on broadcast, don't like it now.
    LEMONS - 8/10 Still hilarious, but not as much as it was.
    ENTANGLED - 9/10 My second favourite, and FAR FAR better than Polymorph II which is what it's often compared to.
    DEAR DAVE - 5/10 Another dodgy one. Would be lower if not for stand out moments like the cats chat with lister, and the machine wanting to see round the corner.
    THE BEGINNING - 10/10 At this moment in time, the Beginning is classed by me as the best episode of Red Dwarf there has ever been, surpassing Marooned and White hole, my previous top ones. Fantastic plot, beautiful model shots, and VERY funny.

18. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

Let's have a go at this... If I'm using Back to Reality as the baseline for 10/10 then:

Trojan - 8/10
    Fathers and Suns - 6.5/10
    Lemons - 7/10
    Entangled - 6/10
    Dear Dave - 6/10
    The Beginning - 9/10

19. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Just rewatched The Beginning and it feels so much like a series 3 - 6 episode. Really good stuff and hoping that the quality of the whole series (with the personal exception of Lemons!) means that there will be at least another series to look forward to!

RAGE

20. Sylux024

Sylux024 Third Technician

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 7
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 9
    Dear Dave - 5
    The Beginning - 9