Rate Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Bluey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Trojan - 7
    Fathers and Suns - 8
    Lemons - 5
    Entangled - 6
    Dear Dave - 7
    The Beginning - 5

I liked the series on the whole. "Fathers and Suns" stood out to me because so much was going on. I was never bored watching it.

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Trojan - 7
    Fathers and Suns - 7
    Lemons - 9
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 8
    The Beginning - 7

3. ListerD

ListerD Skutter

I need to go back and watch them all again, but I thought the season (that's what we call a series here in the colonies) started a little slow but got into classic form around episode 3 and was smegging fantastic from there on out. I'd rate X overall around the middle of the pack for seasons, and definitely ahead of 7-9. Again, I'll need to rewatch, but I suspect a couple of episodes from X will join my all time favorites (Marooned, Back to Reality...). Here's hoping for Red Dwarf XI, XII, XIII, XIV...

4. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

Trojan - 6
    Fathers and Suns - 10
    Lemons - 4
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 8
    The Beginning - 10

5. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Trojan - 8 Great return too form
    Fathers and Suns - 7
    Lemons - 7 1/2
    Entangled - 8 on par with Trojan
    Dear Dave - 4 very disapointing episode
    The Beginning - 9 classic dwarf

Trojan Entangled and the begining are the best episodes and are very close to classic dwarf some of the moments are as good.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Beginning is proving to be a very popular episode. I think it's going to be like Polymorph to me: an episode that almost everyone loves while I'm only lukewarm about it.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Anybody else want to add their ratings before I work out the average scores?

8. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Yes please count my rating!

Trojan = 8/10
    Fathers and Suns = 8/10
    Lemons = 7/10
    Entangled = 9/10
    Dear Dave = 7.5/10
    The Beginning = 9.5/10

9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Just reassessed the episodes on DVD! Want to ammend my scores!!!!!

The Beginning - 7/10
    Fathers and Suns - 3/10
    Lemons - 8/10
    Entangled - 9/10
    Dear Dave - 5/10
    The Beginning - 10/10 (would be 11 if it could be!)

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Trojan = 9
    Fathers and Suns = 7
    Lemons = 8
    Entangled = 9
    Dear Dave = 7
    The Beginning = 10

11. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

"Trojan" - 9.
    "Fathers And Suns" - 8.
    "Lemons" - 7.5.
    "Entangled" - 7.5.
    "Dear Dave" - 6.5.
    "The Beginning" - 9.5.

12. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

Trojan = 7
    Fathers and Suns = 6
    Lemons = 8
    Entangled = 7
    Dear Dave = 6
    The Beginning = 8

13. cougarric

cougarric Third Technician

Ok, so I've watched all of the episodes another 6 or 7 times each. Here are my updated ratings...

I'll use the benchmark that somebody earlier mentioned - Back to reality = 10

Trojan 7/10 Least exciting episode but really funny
    Fathers and sons 7/10
    Lemons 7.5/10 Improving with each viewing
    Entangled 7/10 Again, this improves with time
    Dear Dave 8.5/10 Really love this episode. "He touched my logo!" Kryten's reaction to this is comedy gold. And as for the finger wetting machine...
    The beginning 7/10

Again I'd like to rate each episode a point higher. I really do love this series (at this moment in time) more than any other. I know over time it will relax into a more average position, but for now it is just great. Possibly the funniest, i.e. laughs per minute, than any other series.

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

My dad, who's watching in Australia (so they get The Beginning this week) has been quite enjoying it, with Dear Dave being the only episode he hasn't found pretty good (though I still reckon it was brave of them to do that episode). He's found a fair bit amusing, and really likes the sets. Incidentally, he hasn't noticed Kryten and Cat looking any older, but does on Rimmer and Lister.

Also, it seems they don't have the trailers for the next episode over there (I've told him to watch after the credits, but it seems they don't). Hopefully they'll have the extra clip from The Beginning though...

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I ain't going to bash this new series of RD but what I will say is this:

There were a few episodes of this new series where I didn't even chuckle once.

I have watched episodes of Whitney and 2 Broke Girls, two terrible, and I mean terrible sit-coms and chuckle at least a few times an episode. They are one of the worst sit-coms of all time but at least I crack a few laughs here and there despite it being a poor show.

Does that mean RDX is one of the worst sit-coms of all time? Even worse than them? No it doesn't, but if RDX was Series 1 of another sit-com I would say yes.

RD 1-6 - Never laughed so hard, just saying.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A quick look through this thread will show you that most fans thought highly of series X.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you didn't laugh, it must therefore be one of the worst sitcoms ever.

17. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Trojan - 8
    F&S - 7 (Pree is worth a 9, but the chinese whispers plot drops it down)
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 8.5
    Dear Dave - 8.5 (very underrated in my opinion)
    The Beginning - 8

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Trojan = 5
    Fathers and Suns = 6
    Lemons = 7
    Entangled = 9
    Dear Dave = 4
    The Beginning = 10

19. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Lemons is definitely the "grower" of this series for me. I did like it the first time I seen it, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. With every subsequent viewing however, the episode grows in my estimation, and now I think it is a fine episode, if still not quite up there the series' absolute finest. The other episodes in series X, I really haven't changed my mind on them one way or the other the more I view them, but Lemons is definitely a grower! :-)

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Having given the series a few good re-watchings here's my verdict as it stands at the moment, subject to change without notice...

Trojan: 8/10 and a very solid start to the series I thought.
    Fathers and Suns: 7/10, a good episode but let down slightly for me by the Chinese whispers running joke and resurrecting the bit about Lister being his own father.
    Lemons: a generous 6/10, I've found it interesting what Metal Sara said about Lemons being a grower because I've found the opposite. Of the lot this is the one I'm most likely to skip through. Plot holes, errors, the guest actors and "Schneibberhauser" (Seriously, who has ever actually referred to male genitalia as that?!?) have an overall negative impact on what could have been an otherwise OK episode.
    Entangled: 7.5/10, another good episode although the "coincidence" bit starts to grate a bit for me.
    Dear Dave: 8/10, good to take a bit of a break from dealing with evil simulants/computers/GELFs and have a episode centred just on the four crewmen.
    The Beginning: 9/10, Excellent finale to a broadly pretty good series IMO.

Something I'll mention separately as it kind of links Trojan and The Beginning, I'm not too keen on what's being done with Rimmer's backstory. Somehow I preferred it when in spite of sharing the same upbringing his brothers were highflying test pilots or captains whilst he was a lowly vending machine repairman, now it turns out that they're only half brothers and Howard at least has had an equally uninspiring career.