Rate Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Bluey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Am I far too, ridiculously late to post my ratings?

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

No, Post away :-)

3. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've given it a while and have rewatched a number of the episodes again, so here's my latest update on the scores...

7/10 Trojan
    6/10 Father And Suns
    3/10 Lemons
    9.5/10 Entangled
    6/10 Dear Dave
    9.5/10 The Beginning

Both Entangled and The Beginning now seem to me to be pretty much some of the best Red Dwarf there has ever been. The other episodes have all remained the same to me since the last time I rated them in November. But Entangled and The Beginning keep getting better and better. Entangled was consistently funny, and the only small bit I didn't like was Edgington wearing her glasses upside down (seemed excessively silly) and the over long countdown bit at the end. Other than that Entangled was pretty much flawless from start to finish for me. As for The Beginning at first I wasn't so keen (thought it was good, but not great), but this is one of those episodes that has got better and better each time I watched it. Loved the simulant scenes, although there's not much bad that can be said about this episode as it was enjoyable from start to finish.

If I HAD to pick a favourite from series X, it would be Entangled, for the shear number of brilliant jokes throughout. Pick of the bunch would have to be "apart from me and him and him." but they were all great. Both of those episodes would make my top ten RD episodes, right up there with Back To Reality, Queeg, Quarantine and Kryten.

RAGE

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I won't be working out the results until sometime in the new year, so there's still plenty of time for you all to post your ratings.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i don't think i could rate series X because while there was some good stuff there was also some really bad stuff in each episode, some stuff which really drags the episodes down a little for me

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just do it, Toaster. It's not difficult.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

for me i think its very difficult, i know many like the beginning and even though i can see why they like it i think there is stuff that puts the episode down for me so im not sure how id rate it really, same goes for the others really, Series X was a very up and down series

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I bought the Blu-Ray over XMas and watching them again, with improved quality it's so much better 2nd, 3rd time around.

I think once this is as ingrained as 1-6 it'll be considered classic probably generally ranked favourably among the different series, above series 7 and 8 but not quite as solid as the first 6 (mainly down to key generally-hated bits like medi-bot) All I know is I am laughing at the gags and I like how some of them really do hit me and make me laugh out loud in a way that most comedies don't.

It's patchy, but with a bit of polish and some tough love series 11 could be amazing, much like how 2 refined 1's direction, and how 5 refined 3-4's direction. Each time Dwarf has re-imagined itself it's had a bit of a dip before it soared again. Series 7 felt like a stumble, 8 was the fall, BTE was waking from the coma and X is the recovery.

Red Dwarf is on the mend.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

series 11 would need alot of tough love, mostly in the writing and storys.

alot of dougs storytelling seems more like oh that sounds good lets go with that rather then that sounds good but lets make sure it works and makes abit of sense.

Lemons was given a decent amount of care and effort so i know doug can do it

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

...and yet it still had quite a few really very basic mistakes.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I bought the DVD a while back but have so far only watched some of the bonus material. I'm going to get round to re-watching the actual episodes sooner or later, and I hope my very positive attitude towards to series remains consistent.

Anyway, anyone else want to add their ratings?

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I don't think any episode got less than an 8 for me

13. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

nor me 100 % satisfied I was( once I got over the initial dread'o'fear )phew
    Thanks for all Talents involved. You deserve to feel proud of yourselves.

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Excellent for me. I don't think I'd change my ratings, but here they are again:

Trojan - 8/10
    F&S - 5/10
    Lemons - 4/10
    Entangled - 7/10
    Dear Dave - 5/10
    The Beginning - 7/10

No, it's not perfect. But even the episodes I didn't like so much, such as Lemons, were still watchable. The fact that we've had some pretty good Red Dwarf (Trojan will probably remain one of my favourite episodes ever) is excellent. There are improvements to be made, of course, but that's expected. Red Dwarf is back, it's relevant, it's funny and it's mostly back to it's old self. I could be happier, but still pretty damn happy. Happier than I thought I'd be anyway. As is my dad in Australia, he's watching the whole lot again. I also watched the Smeg Ups on the Blu-ray the other night and was pretty damn impressed with the glimpse I got of the Lemons marketplace. Looking forward to watching the doc.

15. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I watched the 'We're Smegged' doc the other night and it certainly shows the series in a new light. The various challenges were incredible, from technical problems to the logistical aspects. The set design and the turnaround was absolutely amazing, and to end up with those beautiful model shots when it was all so against them - I'm left on awe at just how good Series X ended up being.

I love the Blu-ray.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it's amazing how good series X was considering all the problems they were experiencing. The documentary gives you an all new appreciation for what Doug and everyone achieved.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Adorabelle's ratings and for anyone else who wants to take part.

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

It makes you wonder what Doug and Co could be capable of if they were just trusted to do their thing and get on with it. Imagine what series 11 could be like if they're given just a little bit more time, a little bit more money and a little bit more trust.

I am never going to nitpick Red Dwarf X ever again. I feel bad now for picking apart things like Medi-Bot, since its just so unimportant and silly compared to what was actually achieved. What an astounding success when it had all the ingredients of a failure. It also shows just how much Doug cares about it.

Please let there be a series 11. Just like Series X only easier for them to make and so it'll be hopefully much tighter. If there's any justice in the world it'll happen.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll probably be working out the final results of this soon. Does anyone else want to give their ratings before I do?

19. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Yes, me!

Trojan - 8
    Fathers and Suns - 10
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 9
    Dear Dave - 10
    The Beginning - 9

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And since he didn't want to post them here himself, I'll add Kitchen Sink's ratings:

Trojan - 9
    Fathers and Suns - 8
    Lemons - 8
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 8
    The Beginning - 9

I'll be working out the final scores very soon. So if anyone else wants to take part, be quick.