Rated And Reviewed article

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by simulant37, Nov 27, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Episode Total Viewers
    Trojan 3.50 million
    Fathers and Suns 3.08 million
    Lemons 3.11 million
    Entangled 2.84 million
    Dear Dave 2.87 million
    The Beginning 2.30 million*

So overall a decline in viewers from 1st to last episode of over a million!!!!! :roll:

2. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Hello? HELLO?! Anybody home?! Think mcfly think! Its digital channel for Christ's sake! For it to get 2.3 million views is phenomenal. To put it against an example, Russell Howard's good news is hugely popular BBC3 show... but it NEVER gets that many views.

Red Dwarf X is a ratings success beyond belief! Yes the numbers declined from the first episode, but they always do... with ANY series. There is always some who switch off, that says nothing about quality. You take the viewing figures of any popular show and I guarantee the ratings drop ad the series goes on. Not to mention the jump in ratings between F&S and Lemons.

I wonder whether you're genuinely a troll, or an genius parody account. :roll:

Of course you don't care about that, being a troll you just care about the bad things that you can moan about.

3. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Let's also not forget the fact that those aren't the final figures for The Beginning :-)

Another thing to bear in mind, here's an example show for comparison - Stargate SG1 averaged 1.32 million (live + same day) in it's 10th season and was considered a big success, and that was the US figures!

The fact that RDX managed to get figures it has is really quite phenomenal. It was basically like a brand new show starting again given the amount of time that had passed, and if I remember rightly series I started with about half a million viewers?

4. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Supply Officer

That was great Gerald, lol I loved that.:-)

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Why have you put a little asterisk next to 'The Beginning'?

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Whilst yes, there is a decline in figures, these are still phenomenal considering Dave isn't one of the terrestrial channels, nor one of the major non-terrestrial channels (such as Sky One).

The drop-off in figures is likely due to people seeing the advertisements (in Leeds station there was a big poster up) and tuning in, before deciding it's not for them, and probably a few really fussy fans watching a bit and turning off.

Put it this way - for a half-hour show of a sitcom that's been going, on and off, since the eighties (I think) and on such a tight budget, Red Dwarf X will be seen as very good value for money with these ratings. Chances are Dave will be ecstatic with the return they're getting (not to mention DVD sales) and be eyeing up an eleventh series.

7. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

The asterisk means that those aren't the final figures.

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh someone just give 'im a stirrer smilie to play with :roll: :lol:

9. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I'm not that surprised, as despite the hardcore fan boy posters on the forum, the figures presented tend to reflect the general feedback of the new series that I have read, heard about, spoken to people about, from all over the internet, not just using the 'it's a return to form, really amazing stuff' type of reviews, with impunity. I thought the first two episodes were quite good, and after that, it ranged from abysmal to cringeworthy.

As for people labelling Simulant37 a troll - I find it just not cricket that if anyone on the forum dares to criticise the show, story, material, gags - or anything about RDX, it's shot down in flames. I love the show, from series 1-8, but since BTE and with the exception of Trojan, Fathers and Suns and parts of Entangled and The Beginning, the show has - in my opinion only - been simply turgid.

10. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I agree with everything you've said there... expect that BTE was better than Series X

Most people (most) are only praising Series X, like critics mostly because it's just the 4 guys, no Kochanski, 6 eps and it's front of a live audience. So it has all the ingredients of a classic series (1-6), but unfortunely they forget that the scripts are terrible

11. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I agree with everything you've said there... expect that BTE was better than Series X --->>>

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant that I have BTE on a par with RDX! I certainly do not think it was better! It's just as bad, but for different reasons!

12. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

No... Most people are praising series X because, SHOCK HORROR... WE LIKED IT.

Does it not occur to you that just because you didn't like it, lots... thousands, probably millions of other people did? Myself, and many other members on this forum being examples. Trojan, Entangled, The Beginning, and Lemons are my personal favourites, but taking into account the views of the entire forum, I don't think there was a SINGLE episode of Red Dwarf X which didn't get more positive that negative reviews...

And thats not because we're deluded, its not because we're brainewashed... Its because, unlike you, we enjoyed it! We laughed at the jokes, and enjoyed the stories.

Now get over yourself.

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Hmmm, so labelling Simulant37 a troll for his constant negativity is "Not cricket" but labelling those of us who have enjoyed Series X as "hardcore fanboy posters" is fine? FWIW I don't think it's good to be labelling anyone anything, but I think you're displaying somewhat double standards here.

I also don't think that people do get shot down in flames for any negativity, Lemons for instance seems to have proven a very devisive episode with posters both loving and loathing it. For the most part negative constructive criticism I don't think is "shot down" at all, however if for example a poster seems to just constantly type a barrage of single sentence negativity without substantiating why they think or feel that, it is going to lead to people being naturally quite dismissive of their posts.

Actually, from what I've read outside this forum the general consensus seems pretty positive. You're never going to please everyone obviously and there have been more than a couple of misses as well as hits along the way for this series, but most of those who've cared to post about it elsewhere that I've read have been generally favourable.

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

This thread really shouldn't be discussing whether we "liked" Red Dwarf X or not, but simply looking at the numbers.

Red Dwarf X started out very well, but then suffered a drop. This is usual - just about every show suffers something similar as people watch it and their interest wanes, or they have to go and do something else and miss an episode and then not bother catching up with the show. In any case, it will be interesting to see the final figures for The Beginning, to know just how many people "allegedly" watched Red Dwarf X.

Don't forget, all these figures are collated by our UK equivalent of "Nielsen boxes" - boxes which sit under people's TVs and record their viewing. The TV ratings organisation (whoever they are) gives them to various households, but of course not everyone. If 1% of UK households (still an incredibly high percentage) have one, then they simply take the amount of people in that 1% who they can say were watching Red Dwarf X and multiply it by 100. Of course the system has been criticised as it's not accurate (when Farscape was cancelled the fans, including myself, organised petitions and so on, and the Sci-Fi execs thought there were more people petitioning than their figures said were watching the show - there weren't) but it's really the only possible way.

Unless all the freeview boxes and everything else that you can watch Dave through are sending back signals, which I doubt.

But, as pointed out, the figures that Red Dwarf X had were pretty damn good. To put it in contrast, a quick Google/Wiki search reveals that Doctor Who's 2012 season premiere, Asylum Of The Daleks, was watched by 8.33 million in the UK. For Red Dwarf, a half-hour cult (and let's not forget, Doctor Who is mainstream now) comedy show on a channel that, to many, will be hidden away somewhere (and not everyone gets at the moment) and done for a fraction of the cost, to get between half and a third of that (42%, to be exact) with Trojan is pretty darn good.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Red dwarf is a bigger money maker then most tv shows thats for sure and the viewing figures are fine so dave should be happy

but as for the series in general... it had potential to be better but dougs writing was abit all over the place

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Those viewing figures are amazing, and I'm very pleased to read so many watched the episodes. Infact they were MUCH better than I thought they would be, so I hope that Dave decides to continue RD for a few more series yet!

RAGE

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, first of all the feedback I've seen, heard and read has been pretty good for the most part...*shrugs*. Doug has never and will never please ALL of us ALL of the time though.

And secondly, I really like series X. A lot. I also really like series 7 (much more so now than when it first aired. But I would now place it above series 4, 8 and BTE). I do think series 8 is okay though too, though not as good as 7 or 10 (in my personal opinion).

Does this make me a hardcore fanboy just because those series' happen to suit my personal taste and/or that I'm able to accept them for what they are (individually)?..Is this, in your opinion, what is influencing my opinions?

Speaking of opinions, why do you think you like series 7 and 8 so much?...I mean, you do realise that there are some people on this forum who would accuse you of only liking 7 and 8 because you're a hardcore fan, right?...do you see the irony here?

Anyway, from what I understand about so-called viewing figures, I'd say the ratings were pretty darned impressive for series X.

It would be interesting to compare said figures to those of the earlier series though.

18. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

These figures show just what a hit series x was. After f&sons aired I made a joke in my FaceBook status about an empire strikes back red dwarf mash with lister telling himself in the mirror he could rule the galaxy as father and son(worded better) and I got 7 likes before the repeat - considering I only have real life friends on there that's a lot of people who either had to have just watched fNs or to have seen ourobourous considering the closed proximity - these are random friends and family of mine, not the audience from Dimension Jump.

19. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

How reliable is this?

Is it like America where volunteers can sign up to have tracking boxes installed which are then analysed? That takes a specific type of person to end up doing that.

Also anyone I know who watched it had to find 'other means' of doing so, myself included, as none of us had access to Dave. Had it been on BBC I'm sure those ratings would have been absolutely massive.

Red Dwarf X was quite up to the standard of 1-6. We know in our heart of hearts that's true. But it surely would have beaten the vast amount of dross which passes for entertainment on mainstream TV these days. Just look at the crap that has been on TV over XMas - that's it? That's the best the BBC/ITV/C4 could muster? Red Dwarf X was a highlight of the year.

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I should imagine it's quite similar to the American "Nielsen" system where volunteers are chosen to have tracking boxes installed which monitor what they watch. Of course they'd try and make it an accurate reflection of the UK population. Going from this, over 3 million people watching the first Red Dwarf X (on the night, through official means) gives us 4.76% (I think) of the UK population (about 63 million) watching. Not bad, given the fact it was on Dave. If it had been on the BBC I'm sure the ratings would be more as well, but for the budget RDX had it did pretty smegging well.

Don't know about everyone else here, but Red Dwarf X has been THE highlight of the year for me in TV terms. Yep, there have been a fair few other good shows, but 99% of what I watch are American imports which are, to a degree, formulaic. This was new (and good) Red Dwarf. RED. SMEGGING. DWARF. By comparison I've watched nothing at all over Christmas. Doctor Who has recorded, and other than that I've just got a few documentaries to watch but nothing hugely exciting. I do think it was wise to air Red Dwarf X when it was aired, as there wouldn't be many people on holiday (sadly I was), it wouldn't conflict with festive shows, and the DVD got to come out in good time before Christmas.