RD 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Matthew Polson, Oct 2, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Hey, optimism is better than pessimism!

ClareGC likes this.
  2. jamespotter

jamespotter Skutter

Am i the only one who thinks a live (as in tour or stadium show) show would be a terrible idea. The answer's going to be yes, isn't it? Still I think it's a terrible idea.

3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I'm kind of worried about Robert if they'd do a tour, the man would have to be in that Kryten suit under hot lights night after night.

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I don't actually see it happening or being particularly good, nor can I really rationalise why we'd actually want it.

There would be limited special effects, fairly constrained in what they can do, and the sets they can use.

At least when they're filming the episodes for TV they can cut, redress sets, show VTs of pre-recorded scenes etc.

As far as I understand it they struggle to get the guys together for a normal series so I don't see how they'd do it for any sort of tour.

For the 30th anniversary I'd rather them do a feature length special (like BTE but better). Red Dwarf reaching 30 years is a special landmark for all involved, maybe including Rob Grant. Rob and Doug reuniting for a Grant Naylor written special episode would be v. interesting, even if it might seem unlikely!

5. DivineVarod

What I'd love to see is a one hour live episode, with the boys locked in the bunkroom for some reason, planning escape while talking about their history together. Broadcast live on Dave and UKTV Play and on YouTube for the rest of the world. With maybe one or two one or two live try outs before ...

Pembers, The Cat and FeeBee like this.
  6. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I can see that happening before any sort of live tour. Does anyone actually have any information which suggests they're planning anything for the 30th anniversary?
    If something is going to happen, should we expect it to happen in February around the actual time of the anniversary, or just "some time" in the 30th anniversary year?

7. DivineVarod

Doug told me they're planning something when I interviewed him last month ...

Ant E, The Cat and Chris D like this.
  8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Which of course I should remember as I read it and then said this in response:
    :-D

9. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

If there was a live show the smeg ups would be bliss:eek::-D! And I can’t wait to find out what they’re planning for the 39th anniversary special!

10. jamespotter

jamespotter Skutter

any live show would essentially have to be a copy of marooned or quarantine. I don't see the point. Remember the divisive nature of BTE which rehashed Back to Reality? A 30 year celebration would most likely be a retrospective or more improbably, but a much better idea, a feature length special (no time now to do it though, I suppose) where Kochanski is recovered etc.

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It didn’t rehash back to reality at all. Just had the same concept as an ending.

12. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Well, opposite concept.

I'm not the biggest fan of BTE but I was beaming from ear to ear when all along it turned out to be the female version of the despair squid who has the opposite effect. I do love callbacks to the past like this. Not a massive fan of Can of Worms, or Emohawk, but I loved that these two episodes re-visited the Polymorph concept.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Too much to hope maybe rob grant will come back for something? Probably.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Better then what was originally planned back in 2009 where the cast were gonna improvise the characters in a live show which Doug thought was a good idea but the cast were less sure it was a good idea.

15. jamespotter

jamespotter Skutter

Exactly. The whole three parter was essentially the idea of the crew experiencing an unreality, a hallucination, caused by the despair squid thing. Though it's been a few years since I last saw it so maybe I'm wrong.

16. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

wavesd likes this.
  17. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

For Chris and Craig this would be something they would really enjoy and excel at - I heard that a stage show around Marooned had been talked of in the past. I think it would be great because they are all such good performers, and they own their characters; I would be tempted to have one reasonably medium/heavy weigh guest star, just to ease the pressure a little (not too 'heavy weight'though...I think a Tom Cruise or a Sam L Jackson might take the spotlight a little too much!)

18. Matthew Polson

I do agree but don't underestimate Danny and Rob, they would be great as well I'm sure. I don't mind whether they focus on 'Marooned' or not, I just want to see them live

wavesd likes this.
  19. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Yeah, you are right. I was just saying about Marooned because Craig and Chris are the more natural actors, they are ALL good comedians and performers; I would consider Rob as someone who can hold a live audience with some repartee and I don't think anyone could command the stage like Danny - in a live show the four talents would really excel - well let's be honest, it is what has made the whole show that is still going 30 years later, four different, but all really talented people.

20. Matthew Polson

Very true my fellow RD fanatic, I also would love to hear Krytens quotes live i.e. 'Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska' 'Space Corp (number) then (quote for space corp)' and 'Captain Bollocks' XD