RDXI / RDXII rd, dead on it's [] or a fresh breeze?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by neilold the red nosed reindeer, Nov 20, 2017.

1. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

stop rimming me, i'm enjoying it too much

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Nah, it wasn't really a spoiler for any fan. It had been hyped too much and was in a trailer after all. the timing of it though..... hehe now that was funny!

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Reminder that RD discussion should only take place in the RD sections, and Series XI/XII discussion should ONLY be in that particular section!

Neil, this has happened a couple of times with you - any more and I'm going to have to start giving warnings out.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think with the call backs what makes it worse is that Series 8 had a fair amount of call back and then when we got to back to earth Doug threw more call backs in with the excuse it was an anniversary special and was surprised that people started to say he was out of ideas because of it.

X didn't have as many but XI and XII seems to have got back into that habit.

Call backs tend to feel abit desperate.

Even if its fan service i don't feel it does the show any favours.

6. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I've been watching Red Dwarf since first broadcast in 1988 and I've thoroughly enjoyed 10, 11 & 12. I've got plenty excited before each of these series and laughed plenty. I don't think it's tired, I'm certainly not tired with it and I'm eager for more. Every series has its own identity, some more distinct than others and that's part of the charm. It's evolved and reinvented itself over 30 years but so have I. Who doesn't make back references in their own life? The Dave era can never replicate the BBC golden era as it had two like minded creators with a common goal but slightly different agendas. For me 11 & 12 have displayed a confidence and creativity echoing what happened part way through the golden era.

UltraDevotee and Paul Taylor like this.
  7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Personally i feel call backs don't feel like confidence and creativity but more self assurance that just incase you can't please with new material then people will still feel an emotional nostalgic joyous attachment to the old.

8. Christmas Pants

Christmas Pants Science Officer

Neil should be ashamed of himself

9. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

As a whole 11 & 12 have for me been more confident and creative compared to series 10. Call backs are not exclusive to the Dave era or to Red Dwarf and personally I don't mind them used in moderation. They serve as a familiarity for established viewers and something to explore for those new.

10. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

11. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I must admit when I wrote on this forum about a week ago I was on a massive high after Skipper, but I will honestly say that both series 11 and 12 have been excellent - though not totally as incredible as series 2 to 6 - with enough innovative new ideas complemented well by the numerous callbacks. Episodes like Twentica, Krysis, Cured, Siliconia, Skipper and especially Give and Take standout and are there or thereabouts up there with the Rob Grant co-writes IMHO while all the other episodes are not far behind at all, excepting Can of Worms. So as series 11 and 12 have been the most genuinely Dwarfy Red Dwarf since over twenty years ago, I am very excited for a series 13 as long as Doug's writing can be equivalent of or even surpass that of these two recent series and he can invent enough new ideas.

Paul Taylor likes this.