RDX Cast Promotional Tour???

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by olly1988, Sep 17, 2012.

1. olly1988

olly1988 Third Technician

Hey everyone.

I'm quite new around here, even though I've been reading the forum for quite some time now.

I'd just like to discuss what kind of promotion the cast will be taking part in.
    Does anybody have any idea of what shows the cast will be interviewed on (if any)?
    Will there be a radio times cover?

I know for BTE the majority of the cast were on BBC Breakfast and Loose :shock: Women.

With the Ad campaign reaching higher levels (ie. Huuuuge train station posters) than BTE and lots of magazine talk/reviews, do you think the cast will appear on bigger/more shows this time?

Jonathan Ross? Graham Norton? Alar Carr? (As you list these names it does make you realise how good Michael Parkinson was)

I hope that DAVE have the cast bombard these shows to get as much public knowledge of the series as they can.

Look at people like Lee Mack, who does the rounds EVERY time Not Going Out is back on. The figures for that are great for the kind of show it is. Imagine the 'return of Red Dwarf'!

What do you guys think?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Your point about Lee Mack is interesting. Technically with its following one would think that Red Dwarf would get the bigger interviews but there are a couple of other facts that probably explain it. Lee Mack is an all round entertainer and comedian and shows know what they can expect of him when they get him on, he's also the main star of his sitcom and his sitcom is on a major prime time spot.

Red Dwarf is more of an ensemble cast and it's cast aren't necessarily as interesting for non-fans of the show to watch. As with any sci-fi show there's also sadly an unfair "this isn't cool" stigma with it among TV bosses, which is probably why it gets relegated to daytime TV slots...especially as Red Dwarf is often seen among it's critics as a relic of the past that was never funny anyway (note: these are also the same sort of people who thought that a new series of Dr. Who would never work).

I'd certainly expect some kind of promotional activities but more akin to BTE, and probably even on a lesser scale. When BTE aired they were having to remind people what Red Dwarf was as there had been a near ten year gap since the show last aired. This time there is less to remind people of...although there may be a new challenge of getting those who disliked BTE to understand that the new series is not more of that style of Dwarf.

3. olly1988

Yeah, I do find it frustrating that this is how TV bosses see Red Dwarf!
    When Absolutely Fabulous came back last year, they had Jennifer Saunders on the Big shows (Norton, Ross) and she was boring as paint drying! Yet she seems to get her face everywhere whenever she is doing anything. Grys Rhys Jones is another.
    I know the main cast (mainly Chris, bless him) aren't the best with Improv (unless its the Kenneth Williams stuff), but Craig for instance is a very charismatic, household name due to RD and Corrie.
    I'm holding out hope that even if it's just Craig, that we see some big interviews.
    DAVE have highlighted the huge following for RD that isn't as much a 'cult' anymore as it is a classic show from the past that they've brought back.
    Hindsight can do wonders. And if Dallas can get huge publicity for a comeback, please God, Dwarf can!

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

To be honest Red Dwarf and it's backers have never really helped their own reputation with their insistence on promoting the show as being about people saying "Smeg" and DAVE LISTER LOVING CURRY!

This turns casual viewers off as they see it as a one dimensional, crass show instead of the brilliantly witty, thoughtful inventive piece of sci-fi comedy we know and love it for. Yet here we are with the new series about to start and DAVE are beating a familiar drum, yelling about "Smeg" whenever they can and running a campaign based around curry! The trailer they put out also seemed to find as many references to curry as they could get.

It's as if Garry Bushell is personally placed in charge of all Red Dwarf marketing campaigns.

I think a more sensible way to re-market the show would have been to run four different trailers. Each one centring around a scene that showed the best of each character, that would have helped a new audience get to grips with the show before it aired as well as being less random than the curious bits Dave have showed us so far.

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It would be good to have some interviews and prime time advertising but why would, for instance a popular interviewing type of program on a primary channel want to advertise a program that airs on a different channel.
    It would be like an ITV channel interviewing and promoting Eastenders. This is most likely the reason why stuff like this will only show up on morning/afternoon TV.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Would be good, I could throw rotten eggs at them!! :twisted:

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

id gather certain cast members will be on loose women, maybe This Morning and BBC morning tv and several radio interviews

while other promotional stuff will be posters around UK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and lil bits on Dave and Watch tv channels

thats my guess

8. olly1988

I do agree with Bedford Falls. It is a shame how RD has been promoted over the years, and it DOES come back to bite you on the backside.
    The curry aspect of Lister is like saying Only Fools and horses is just one dimensional, physical humour. That is NOT what it is, but whenever you see an ad clip of it it's Del Boy falling at a bar or dropping an chandelier.
    So I agree that, sadly, due to this bad press and the opinion that Series 7 onwards were below form, RD may not get the big 'Huraah' that something like say, 'Blackadder' would get if it came back.
    It is a shame, as i genuinely believe that RD is getting a resurgence and it needs to be jumped on as much as possible, letting as many as possible know!

I have personal proof of this as a teacher.
    I teach singing and once a week teach a class of 25 at a local secondary school. Due to me being quite young (23, hence the username) they seem to chat to me like I'm going to be into whatever they're into, which most of the time, I'm not! :-)
    Anyway, they asked what my favorite TV show was and when I said 'Red Dwarf' they all started singing 'It's cold outside...' No word of a lie.
    They said they watch it on DAVE when it's on.
    This is an audience that GNP and DAVE need to pursue too!
    I think if the feelers were put out, that the big shows would do something.

Then again, I may be looking through rose tinted glasses.

9. supercat

supercat Console Officer

It has been know to happen. The One Show (BBC) had Brendan Coyel on it's sofa a couple of months back. They discussed Downton (ITV) and he was there to promote his new show, Starlings (Sky). It could happen for Dwarf!

10. olly1988

Yeah, I saw Kathy Burke promoting a new SKY show on Graham Norton a few months back too.
    I don't think the channels are as precious as they used to be about that now. Especially seeing RDX is on a Thursday night, I don't think ITV or BBC will be as bothered. Well at least I hope not! 8)

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the cast have only ever appeared on day time tv shows

12. supercat

supercat Console Officer

In the past! We're looking to the future now, Talkie!

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Sherlock Holmes wanted for murder?!? Interesting. . .

14. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

That's a good book, actually. I really enjoyed reading it!

To be honest I'm already so impressed with the publicity for the new series. I don't remember there being this many posters around for series 8 back in the day.

15. olly1988

To add to this thread a little, I heard Craig on Real Radio this morning, I got the back end of his interview. I knew they were talking RD though as the presenters said good luck with RDX.
    The little I heard made me laugh. It was their 'Help the Heroes' day and they asked Craig if he fancied abseiling with them later today, he replied, 'I'm Dave Lister, not Spiderman'. Great to hear that!

Craig also appears on The Alan Titchmarsh show at 3pm today. Not sure the grannies should be the RD target audience though. ;-)