RDX DVD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laporbo, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

No collectors booklet? Boooooo.

Why?

Is this only the US version or UK too?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No booklet in mine.

3. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

It was to be expected, there wasn't one in either the DVD or Blu-ray of Back to Earth. I must admit though my steelbook looks very empty with out one...

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

From watching the DVD doc it seems they still hadn't finished filming all the episodes while they were making the documentary which explains why they didn't have any time or ability to do commentaries as the episodes must only have been put together not long before the DVD went into production. I guess this also explains the lack of a booklet. Everything was apparently put together very quickly to meet demand for Xmas.

5. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Does anyone have the Blueray release? Any chance of a pic of the spines against the others?

I'm really torn between better picture quality and a matching dvd set...

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I have just took a pic for you and this is all the DVD's alonside each other. BTE and RDX both Blu ray versions.

sorry its a link as this forum cant support the picture size

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/lenny1dog/IMG_0615.jpg

7. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Many thanks Sammy - much appreciated.

Good to be able to see the spines against each other.

I'm none the wiser as to which one to go for :shock:

8. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I've watched the DVD extras tonight and the "Making of Doc" was very good. I wonder if anyone knows if there is an easter egg on the dvd ?

9. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I was torn between picture quality / matching sets too.

In the end I went with matching sets:

Matching RD spines

I expect I'll have to get the Blu-ray as well one day, but for now, I'm very happy :-D

10. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

Not sure about that. I agree that interviews were probably filmed at that time because they wouldn't have had the opportunity later with certain cast members as Craig and Danny are both busy. Doug was interviewed again later on though and I would have thought the lack of a booklet and writer commentary may be more down to money.

11. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Oh matching spines :-D It just looks right..

Hang on, is your BTE DVD an official cover?

12. CaptnDan

13. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Have emailed the member that posted the covers. Let's hope he still visits the forum...

14. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

That Back to Earth cover is freakishly good. I might have to email the poor guy too.

15. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Petermoore sent me a copy before I even left the desk!

Quality is amazing!

16. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

Me too. My new hero there!

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Okay...I'm curious, I get the Blade Runner connection but what's the RD connection to Animals United?

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

My DVD came today from The Hutt! Weirdly, I found it rattled. When I opened the case, I found what I expected- on of the disks was free. This has happened before! I wonder if it somehow popped off of it's rather secure perch in the case or just wasn't placed in correctly in the fist place. It was disk one. I haven't watched them yet, so I don't know if there's damage due to scratching etc (the disk looks all right) but the menu looked good.

Concerning the menu, I missed the start animation that accompanied the previous shows DVDs. On the other hand, it looks nice and the animations from the menu are lovely and smooth. I just hope the episodes don't skip due to scratching,etc.

ONe thing I noticed - the DVD smells really bad. A strange thing to mention, I know, and it's not a big deal, but while previous DVD's smell quite sweet and nice, this has theis rather harge chimical reek. I wonder if it's to do with the printing on the cover and DVDs.

Anyway, after a bit of fiddling I managed to reverse the cover. It looks very nice on my shelf too, although it's a touch weird situated near series VIII as the colour scheme is very similar. It makes sense they'd use that colour in both what with Series VIII dealing with The Tank, and the new reddish sets in X.

So far a nice release.

19. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

My RDX DVD hasn't arrived yet (I only ordered it on Saturday but hopefully it will arrive today) but a few years ago I ordered a few classic Doctor Who DVD's from Netherlands (via amazon.co.uk) which smell most unpleasant. It's actually the boxes causing the bad smell, rather than the discs or the printing on the cover - although they do smell too, but this is only due to them being in close contact with the box for so long.

It's a strong burnt plastic kind of smell, which I'm guessing is the chemical smell you're referring to here too. This is due to the different grades of plasics (Polypropylene, polyether lane) that can be used to make the boxes (Virgin, Recycled, Salvage and Mixed plastic material). A lot of DVD boxes sold in this part of the world tend to be made from 'Virgin Plastic' material, which is soft and smells fine. Whereas the ones that tend to smell bad are either made up of Mixed plastic or are recycled - although not all recyled plastic smells bad of course, but some of it does unfortunately.

20. CaptnDan

The sad thing is, it was previously next to the RD DVDs for no particular reason - thought I'd rearrange so nobody knew the shameful truth of me owning Animals United, and then forgot to crop it out. :eek:ops: Shame mode.