RDX not nominated for comedy awards?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by djmcbell, Dec 5, 2012.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I was quite interested when I saw the advert for the upcoming (or has it already happened?) 2012 Comedy Awards on the TV the other day, so when Dec 4th came about I looked at who the nominations were.

Needless to say, the competition seems dominated by Harry Hill's TV Burp, and not a trace of Red Dwarf X is to be found.

Red Dwarf has won awards in the past and I think a lot of people here would agree that it's been the best thing in comedy this year, so it's exclusion from ANY nomination is puzzling. Do the show's producers have to ask for it to appear in the competition (and so perhaps didn't)? Was it actually entered but not nominated? Does the show have to be on a terrestrial channel?

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No. It just has to be funny. :roll:

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Even though I haven't been here long, I really should have seen Simmy coming with that a mile off. :lol:

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

He's a legend in his own lunchtime :P

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

It really surprises me that RDX has not been nominated,

"He's a legend in his own lunchtime" That had me laughing, just love that quote.:-D

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Apparently it was past the cutoff date. It'll be eligible next year, assuming people remember to nominate it.

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Ahha ! Thanks for the info Seb, that clears that up.

8. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Simulant37 doesn't like me, but unfortunately I agree with him on this. RDX was nowhere near funny or clever enough to be worthy of awards. Frankly I don't think it was very far above the Harry Hill level of humour.

9. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

See South Park episode: "Funnybot"

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I agree. I mostly enjoyed the series...but mainly because I'm a Red Dwarf fan. I'm not going to kid myself that its award worthy stuff. As Red Dwarf I felt it just about passed muster and it certainly wasn't terrible or Red Dwarf at its worst but since I bought the DVD on launch day I've watched a whole four episodes. Now that could be because I rewatched each one about three or four times minimum during the broadcast and wore myself out with them...but watching them back on the DVD's while they're not offensively bad, they're not hysterically funny either.

It's decent Dwarf made under difficult conditions but I wouldn't like to see it win any awards I want Doug to think he can do better next time around and not get carried away that this series was an out and out success.

11. Seymour_Clufley

Yes, I completely concur with you. I was going to buy the DVD but, towards the end of the series, I thought "what's the point, I'll never watch it"... I had watched Trojan 4 or 5 times, then Fathers & Suns only 3 times, then Lemons only twice, and all the others only once. My enthusiasm dwindled as the series progressed and I realised a) I had been overly positive towards the first episode and b) it wasn't getting any better.

I'm not a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory but I can guarantee that, watching any episode of that, I'll laugh more than during any episode of RDX.

But it's not the funny factor that really annoys me. It's the fact that RDX has no depth. I am really surprised that so few other fans are making this complaint; I had thought this was what fans liked about Red Dwarf, that it had substance and honesty and a genuine desire to contemplate life. But the Naylor era has been almost entirely devoid of that, and nobody else seems to notice (or care). For me the result is just like watching any mainstream TV sitcom, Men Behaving Badly etc. and the unique quality of Red Dwarf just isn't there.

I would also complain about the tone. While, superficially, it feels like the programme I know and love (he said "smeg"!) there is something wrong about it. Chris Barrie and Craig Charles don't seem to know what they're doing half the time. There is a general sense of over-acting and meandering, almost like it's a pantomime with Red Dwarf motifs sprinkled around it.

As for improvement, I am not hopeful. Naylor has consistently shown bad judgement, especially when it comes to characters. I was thinking about Rob Grant coming back and then thought "why would he want to?" Since he left the show, the following bad editorial decisions have been made:
    • Rimmer has become Ace (and then possibly back again, but we don't know because Naylor has got himself into such a mess there that he's decided just to ignore it)
    • Rimmer has kneed Death in the balls (and this has been subsequently ignored for the same reasons as above)
    • Rimmer's brother has been revealed as being in a similar position to him, nullifying a major cause of Rimmer's neurosis
    • Rimmer has watched his brother die and been entirely unaffected by the experience (from a characterisation POV, this was criminal)
    • Rimmer has been "outed" as having a working-class parent, as if this somehow makes him less upper-middle-class
    • the very premise of the show has been trashed by the events of Tikka to Ride which enabled them to return to Earth at any given time in history
    • Kochanski was brought back, completely ruining the crew dynamic and, within herself, having bad characterisation
    • Kochanski has been revealed as Lister's mother
    • Lister has become his own father (an utter mess and a storytelling dead-end)
    • Kryten has been turned into a tedious joke of a character (in s7-8 ) though I admit Naylor has successfully moved away from that
    • Kryten has been revealed as a joke by his creator on her ex-husband, with personality traits that he didn't even possess until a few episodes before, but what the hell, it's just characterisation
    • Captain Hollister has been ruined by his characterisation in s8, which rubbished the character we saw in s1-2
    • the ship has changed shape twice, once with an explanation (nanobots) and once without (Dave era)
    • Lister has changed quite amazingly from the way he was in s1-6. I could criticise his characterisation in s7, s8, BTE, or indeed RDX which I think was only a partial return to form, and in some ways a backward step as he has lost a lot of depth.

In short, I think that Naylor has really made a mess of Red Dwarf on his own and I think it would take a lot of humility for Grant to return, seeing as his baby has been mangled in so many ways. It's possible that Naylor can bring the show back up to par with its heyday without the help of Grant but I doubt it, because the problems seem to stem from his own weaknesses as a writer. And besides, I am not sure he even realises that it isn't up to par. I also think the cast are similarly oblivious - they went along with everything from s6 onwards and they raved about RDX being "back to the show's best" but it absolutely isn't. If they can't see that, and Naylor is surrounded by sycophants and fawning fans of the Dwarfcast mould, then the show is doomed.

12. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I think you raise some very valid points there.

I have recently been watching Series V and that is the bar as far as I'm concerned as to the highest Dwarf has ever been to being award-worthy. That series is phenomenally good - it is the concept running at absolute full pelt with characterisation and pacing being absolutely in tune.

I enjoyed Series X, I would give it an award just for being the only thing on TV worth tuning in for besides Dr Who, but if I wasn't a fan with nostalgia and love to fan the flames I can easily see why it isn't up for awards. It needs to become universally good again, not "that was alright" amongst die-hard fans who have been starved of Dwarf for so long that any small morsel tastes obscenely good. For awards it has to be far better than that, it has to break out of the fan bubble again and get back to Series V or VI levels of recognition. It pains me to say it but deep down I know that's just how it is.

And Harry Hill's TV Burp is pretty funny as far as a broad daytime comedy goes, give it some credit. Hey at least Craig Charles is on it sometimes!

13. Seymour_Clufley

I agree that Series V is the best. A lot of people seem to think VI was as good as or even better than V, but for me it was a significant come-down. Grant cited "creative differences" as the reason he left the show, and the direction it has taken since then has shed some light on what those creative differences were. I think he was probably sickened by Naylor's obsession with making a movie. I think that every episode of Series V is a classic, but the price we pay is that, immediately after, Naylor got a taste for Hollywood and never came back from it.

Well, I do watch Doctor Who but I dislike the 2005- version for much the same reasons as I dislike RDX!

I agree completely, though I would add that it shouldn't mean axing the sitcom format and making it more "modern" in tone. We can see that sitcoms are popular, people still "get" them. You don't need an effects-heavy blockbuster approach. I say that because the simplicity of RDX is one of the few things I like about it. I think for it to becomes award-worthy shouldn't mean it becoming big-budget and overblown, just much better-written.

But I agree with everything you say. If Red Dwarf fans are impressed by RDX, it's IMHO because they have been starved of Red Dwarf for 12 years (and good Red Dwarf for 20 years) and even the word "smeg" gets them excited. It's amazing to read the G&T set reports now and see just how wrong they were.

14. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Haha :lol:

In my opinion alot of people only liked the series because it's "Red Dwarf", if this new series was another sitcom with the exact same jokes etc most wouldn't have liked it. I certainly didn't hate it, but it's the only RD series I'm not actually bothered about buying, I thought BTE had a few laughs and giggles here and there.

But in response to this thread, no it should not be nominated for the comedy awards but the one thing this series was lacking is "comedy"

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

The Big Bang Theory is one of the best sit-coms on at the moment, while it doesn't have many "belly laughs" it does have lots and lots of "chuckles" which is key. Doug should watch this, Two and a Half Men, Married with Children, Peep Show etc and that's how clever writing is done

16. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Absolutely everybody I know who watched it, neutrals and Dwarf fans, absolutely loved Red Dwarf X. Too many funny moments to mention, I can't imagine it not winning a comedy award

17. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Comedy awards in general confuse me as a concept.
    "IF I ACCEPT AWARD, IT MEANS I TAKE COMEDY SERIOUSLY. IF I TAKE COMEDY SERIOUSLY, I AM NOT A COMEDIAN. SYSTEM ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE" --Funnybot

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I found much of RDX very funny.

That is all.