RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's possible, however to cast doubt on the quality of this reviewer given that he comments on the stunning use of CGI (in reality models!) and that he lumps the very sitcommy, almost sketch showy series 8 in with the "dramatic stylings" of series 7 and BTE.

I also find it odd that he thinks catchphrases and running gags "don't ring true to the shows past" (has he watched series 6?) but it is worrying that he finds the characters to be caricatures which is something I had hoped BTE had expunged from the very worst elements of series 8.

His concerns that the show has at times has "pedestrian" pacing and an overload of exposition are, however music to my ears after the "rush on to the next scene" form of storytelling that gave us the "mirror universe" bunk of series 8. My favourite Red Dwarf was always rather laid back and thoughtful.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Not possible to cast doubt on any review, until one has seen the episode & even then its just one persons opinion. So why doubt it?!? :roll:

5. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

heres one review :-D

http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2012/09/11/16122/red_dwarf_x%3A_the_first_look

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

7. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Brill photo Talkie. Looks very good costume quality. I may even LIKE this series Rimmer outfits :-D

8. bedfordfalls

If indeed that is "Rimmer".

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i thought it might be a fake picture originally but its from a legit site :-)

Comedy.co.uk

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

These costumes are clearly a parody of the Star Trek much in the way they were in Holoship

11. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Its Howard not frank according to Comedy Guide.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah i did think it looked abit like star trek outfits

13. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Look a lot like the Star Trek VIII-X and DS9 Season 5-7 outfit.

14. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

15. bedfordfalls

I love how the site gives a concise premise that doesn't give the game away...then goes on to give cast info and a glaringly obvious picture that spoils the entire thing! :?

It doesn't bother me much as Doug Naylor himself spoiled all of this before the show was even filmed by talking about it long ago at a convention. It's an idea I'm still excited to watch and it has the potential to be a strong series opener.

16. SpaceCorpsDirective

SpaceCorpsDirective Skutter

Right, wasn't there a deleted scene in Rimmerworld where Rimmer said that John, Howard and Frank became high ranking officers but both had mental breakdowns and got their crews killed? It might make sense as to why Howard is the ship hologram as the AI usually boots up the most senior officer. I think. :?

17. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I take back what I said earlier - I don't think Chris is playing Frank. I suspect it, but am doubting it a lot now.

I don't think this has been posted, and it is certainly a bit more spoilerish and interesting.

[LINK REMOVED]

You have been warned!

18. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I love the comment under that spoiler above. a sensible person has spoken at last. Who cares about spoilers, its only a sitcom. Exactly. :-D

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Two Forks - that link you posted is one that's been removed from here before. It's not based on official press information, as it was published long before any press embargoes were lifted. We have reason to believe (particularly given some of the detail it gets wrong) that it's a conflated report based on someone who was at one or more screenings, and so due to both its inaccuracy, and it giving away information that shouldn't be public yet, I don't want it linked to here.

20. bedfordfalls

This non-spoilery new review is interesting:

http://www.culthub.com/2012/09/red-dwarf-x-episode-1-trojan-review/10192

It's the first one I've seen to actively criticise the guest actors for playing to the hyperactive crowd rather than "being in the scene" giving it a "fringe sketch show feel".

This reflects some of my concerns about having a studio audience filled entirely with fanboys and fangirls but its interesting to note that the guest actors are the ones being criticised and not the main actors.

This is something Doug really needs to pick up on for the next series though. it's his job as the director to reign this sort of stuff in.

As long as the material itself isn't sketch showy though then I think it should be tolerable.