RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it may be just the android shopping channel stuff thats abit sketchy, after all seems there is only 2 other gueststars and thats 1 doing a voice over and the other is playing howard

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

And it wouldn't be the first time even in classic Red Dwarf where stuff they watch comes over somewhat sketch like or even pantomimey.....remember the episode Time Slides with the whole "Life Styles of the Disgustingly Rich and Famous"?

3. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hah i recall a whale beating line in there :P

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

5. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

this review has got me even more excited for oct 4th:-D

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Glad to see another good review

star trek huh

sounds good

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

8. simulant37

Interesting, he basically admits that BtE didn't work!!

9. Slainmonkey

It's not the first time I heard Doug Naylor imply that BTE isn't how he wanted it, though I have no idea where I read that as it was some time ago.

10. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

One of the first links in this thread is to 'DIY TV' and makes reference to a "40 minute episode". I might have missed this in the morass of information on this board, but is that right? Doug Naylor says (in his RT interview) that he didn't want to do 23-minutes eps so I'd assume that they'd stick to 30 minutes.

Oh, unless they *are* 30 minutes but commercials take it to 40? Can anybody clarify?

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yes its for Ad breaks also

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I can't speak in relation to the guest stars in episode one, but regarding the audience effect in general - of which you are quite understandably concerned about about: The group mind (in general, not the audience effect) is something I've personally studied and take a great deal of interest in. So I did go into watching the episode I saw recorded with this very much in mind. I also tend to analyse my own thinking a lot too, as best I can at least - almost as fast as I'm thinking it sometimes! It can be quite tiring on occasion, haha.

Although obviously it would be slightly arrogant of me to suggest that just because I'm aware of this on one level, that I'm somehow better than any one else at overriding this often subconscious effect when in an audience situation. But, I was certainly conscious of it to a fairly large degree...if not completely...I think ;-)

And sure there were three or four occasions where a large portion of the crowd cracked up laughing at gags that I didn't personally find all that funny, so I may have just smiled in a mildly amused manner. But then there is also personal preference and taste to take into account too. Speaking of which there were certainly various levels of laughter at times. Often the entire audience appeared to burst out laughing (and I'd say with good reason for the most part), whereas other times there would be less holistic laughter, instead the laughter would be scattered about the audience a bit more.

But for the majority of the time I did find myself genuinely laughing, not once, but throughout multiple takes - and again I was very conscious of this at the time too. I remember being pleasantly surprised that I'd found some of the gags or a scene so funny twice in such close proximity.

I will also say - albeit somewhat cautiously - that I have very good reason for firmly stating that we should be careful not to judge some of these short clips as if they are the main gags. Or as if they were meant to be stand alone gags. Although one may argue that the editor of the trailers should've taken that into consideration. But to be fair I think that's much easier said than done with a series like this.

On the one hand, I can't imagine a show as multifaceted as Red Dwarf being an easy show to make non spoilery, yet fully contextual trailers for. And secondly, you really don't really want to give away your best gags before the show airs. Teasing is the name of the game, I think. And thirdly, context really is everything. I really can't emphasise this enough.

Not only do I feel that some of the performances are being over analysed (which is to be expected on a fan site of course so I'm certainly not having a go at anyone for that), there is a certain something I've seen in one of the trailers that has been sooo overly analysed, yet is actually quite a trivial gag in the bigger scheme of things. In the brouder context of the scene and story line the audience laughter is completely justified (in my opinion at least, and I think many will agree once they see it). Bare in mind that some 'sub-gags', if you will, kind of seep into the next, so there's somewhat of a constant flow going on there, which you don't get to see in the trailer. On it's own however, this particular clip I'm talking about does indeed seem a bit weak. Which is probably why I'm less worried about some of the mini clips that I haven't found as funny as others.

All that said however, being sceptical at this point is certainly not a bad thing. So long as it's healthy/reasonable scepticism, which I do think is the case with yourself from what I've read of your posts...so, um, ignore everything I just said and remain sceptical! ;-). As opposed to...well, you know, certain folk who almost seem to have written the series off as a failure already. That's not healthy scepticism, that's jumping to unfounded conclusions based on overly negative assumptions and preconceived notions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

Edit: Just realised I missed out one of the points I wanted to make. And I wrote the word "supervised" rather than "surprised for some strange reason.:shock:

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Your ability to over-simplify never ceases to amaze, Simmy.

Has that interview at least given you some kind of idea about what Doug Naylor was up against in putting out BTE and what a great job he did given the circumstances? Or are you going to ignore everything he said in favour of a simplistic analysis that makes it look like the show's flaws were his conscious decisions - as has been your stated position so far?

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

15. simulant37

Well if he really thought the circumstances would be conducive to a bad quality product, he could always have declined? Why carry on making RD if you know it ain't gonna be up to the standard you want? Oh that's right, he's got nothing else to do!! :twisted:

& I'm not saying its "his conscious decisions" I'm saying he just isn't good enough on his own, that's not any "conscious decisions" just a reflection of his abilities. . .:roll:

16. Slainmonkey

Not sure what to make of those pictures to be honest, Howard's expressions give me something of an unsettlingly series VIII vibe but it's really unfair for me to say out of context like that.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i suspect its comedy hologramme glitches, maybe they trying to boot him up

18. Slainmonkey

Quite possible, I hope it not as series VIII as those pics make it look.....then again I doubt the reviews would be so glowing if that were the case.

19. Slainmonkey

The other thing I should point out is that while not as glaring as the costumes, the sets here even have almost a Star Trek motif as well here

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well the den of geeks review did say