RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I really cant wait til thurs to find out... the guys who know the answers are giving tough love and wouldn't tell me :-( gonna be explosive haha

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Right then. Maybe we should try and debunk the theory that it could be Hollister, as I'd guess that that's the most likely theory. If we debunk it, then we can all be more surprised tomorrow (or, in my case, Friday).

The "other Rimmer" theory is a good one, and it could well be a simulant from the past - we've had enough of them.

Who else could it be?

Lister's GELF bride all jazzed up (let's face it, if anyone's entitled to revenge it's her - Lister's been out of contact for YEARS, made her crash into an ice moon and been after Kochanski since - surprised she hasn't taken him to court really)?

Holly, after building himself/herself a robot suit (and now trying to tell Lister off for leaving the bath on)?

Katerina Bartikovski who, somehow, in a monumental plot-hole (not too far-fetched for Red Dwarf) is now real? And a robot?

Sparehead 3, after attaching himself to a simulant's body?

But perhaps it's the most obvious one of all, after all Lister has been obsessing over this person every episode...

... perhaps it IS Kochanski!

(edit - forgot Jesus. Could be him.)

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well, as has been mentioned before, the wig worn by that simulent certainly looks rather Ace Rimmer-esque doesn't it? :eek:

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

:twisted:

I'm loving all these theories. How about it being Sister Talia-turned-simulant and out for revenge by shooting off Rimmer's tongue... :?:

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

What 'revenge' would the old Rimmer be coming back for, though? That makes literally zero sense to me.

6. MacabreMagpie

Oh! I don't know if this has been picked up on but I just saw this on Doug Nyalor's twitter feed:

"the crew discuss what happened at end of Series 8 in Show 6."

So that pretty much confirms in what form we'll get the explanation, then.

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

this is some wild thread now haha, love it, remind me who that Katrina is again?=)

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Perhaps it's not really revenge, but to make out with Listy again!

I'm gonna go down the Kochanski route. She's come back as an evil cyborg to get revenge on Lister for not sending her a birthday card. In a major plot point, it turns out Lister DID send a birthday card, but it got lost in the post.

The rest of the episode revolves around trying to find the birthday card in the post pod.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Yeah, I agree with that. I firmly believe that that simulant could very well be Hollister, and if Chris Barrie's statement about playing another part in this episode is correct, well... it's going to be very interesting. I can't even imagine how it's going to pan out.

I'm just patiently waiting for Dave to upload the episode gallery now. Don't they usually put one up the day before or is it on the day?

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It's believed and has been rumoured that Chris Barrie voiced Kryten when Lister is talking to him about the Kebab sitting in the radar in the opening scene on Entangled. How much truth I can't say but if that's true then he did pay another role this series.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

first review of the beginning, and its the best rated of the sites previous ratings for the Eps if that makes a difference

scifibulletin.com review

(SPOILERS)

12. Slainmonkey

kinda a sloppy review, kinda like they couldn't collect their thoughts very well to write it down

13. MacabreMagpie

Was it written by simmy?

14. Slainmonkey

Nah.....they liked it.........and there was no emoticons

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

A couple of things to pick out in this review:

Why highlight the "obsession with Fathers" in an epsiode that seemingly has little to do with them...Hmm, are we going to learn something about Rimmer's father in this episode...or perhaps his son?

What might it be that would annoy a fan of Star Trek 2? If we're talking plot similarities then I can think of two key ones: Kirk's son (there's that link again) and a device that can destroy planets or terrorform them...which makes me think of the destruction of Earth or the creation of a new one.

Flashbacks not involving the main cast? Is this Hollister...or as I initially mused are we going to find out what's been happening on Earth since the accident?

16. MacabreMagpie

I didn't take it as necessarily implying that 'fathers' plays a role in this episode, I think that last paragraph was just a summary of the season, though it may do.

It's interesting to note that it says a flashback not featuring the main cast will explain why Rimmer lacks self-confidence... two ideas spring to mind. The obvious one, given Captain Hollister discussion on this board, is that it's a flashback to some point after series 8 showing what happened for the latter to become a simulant, if that is indeed the case, which maybe ties in with how series 7 Rimmer rejoined the crew. Maybe the 'revenge' being sought occurred at a point AFTER series 8.

The second idea is that maybe it's an Earth flashback, possibly showing the creation of the simulants (which would tie into them hunting down the last human being). Could it be that Rimmer Sr was involved in their creation? Perhaps the 'main cast' won't be seen because we'll see Rimmer as a child being derided by his father, which would link into why he doubts himself in the present as a result of that scene, as alluded to in the review. Maybe Rimmer is 'the only man who can save the Dwarfers' because there's some kind of fail-safe against the simulants going rogue that involves Rimmer, installed by his father.

17. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I like that theory a lot.

18. MacabreMagpie

This is going to be a loooooooooong 26 and a half hours!

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

wat if kochanski has had a baby and its listers

20. MacabreMagpie

See Series 7, 'Ouroborous'.