RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I don't know, you saw what happened in "Psirens..."

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well star trek 2 had kirks ex gf with his son he didn't know about, so what if kochanski left red dwarf pregnant and had listers baby, not only would that be another step in the being a father subplot through out the series but would also do has the review said "different interplay in future stories."

plus doug has said he wants to wrap up the series neatly incase there isn't a series 11 :shock:

so you never know but i been wrong on quite alot of theorys this series ;-), but at same time i wouldn't want kochanski to have a baby because i dread the effect it would have on RDXI

3. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

As for the possible Star Trek II connection, I can only think of one:

Someone is going to die. :shock:

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

could be that or even the bad guy vs good guy space battle similar to star trek 2

5. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

The most immediate thing that came to mind was Spock's sacrifice. He died of radiation poisoning, which was (ironically) also the original cause of death of the original Red Dwarf crew. There's also been a whole lot of speculation that there's one particular member of the main Red Dwarf crew that gets major plot development in "The Beginning".

Of course there's "plot development" and "plot development". Small plot development happens all the time, but if a character ever underwent a major development of some significance (for example, Rimmer no longer being a 'Smeg Head', or Kryten becoming a real human-being), it's obvious the series can't run with the change for too long as it upsets the status-quo too much. Those sorts of things are typically reset, removed or nullified pretty fast - and the death of that character almost immediately afterwards.

So... who's going to die?

And will there be a cheesy "I have been and always shall be your friend" speech from that person?

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i can't see any of the main 4 dyin because it would upset fans if we didnt get a series 11 and it was left like that

7. ShrunkenPixel

I'd like to like this theory - it's corny enough to work, but I can't see how it would make much sense.

First of all, how would Rimmer's dad program Rimmer with a failsafe? Let's suppose he did, that Rimmer died - and was reproduced in holographic form a couple of times. Unless Rimmer Snr. was partially responsible for the holographic light-bee.

The theory also relies on the Simulants being created back on Earth prior to the launch of Red Dwarf. It's an admittedly plausible theory, but if the Hollister rumor is true (and it would make sense), it's more likely that Holly inadvertently created the Simulants when he made a minor miscalculation when creating the nanobots that he used to restore the ship and it's crew. There may have been a 0.5% degree of error with the newly-revived humans which has snowballed over time and produced horrific mutation. Even the living Rimmer would have been affected if this is the case.

I'd suspect that because of the multi-Rimmer factor (we never really found out what became of "Ace" Rimmer, or the living Rimmer from "Only the Good"), chances are that 'our' Smeg Head is the only one who both knows himself and resents himself enough to sabotage the Simulants from within. Imagine - our Rimmer engaged in a battle of sanity with his Simulant alter-ego. Ultimately he'd sacrifice himself by inducing a resentment attack powerful enough to corrupt his holographic data, but the Simulant isn't an island - he's probably part of a mechanical hive-mind which simply cannot hold the resentment attack originating from the Simulant Rimmer.

8. ShrunkenPixel

It depends on who it is and how it's done, really.

Spock was technically dead for the last few minutes of one movie and the first few of it's follow-up, so I'd imagine Red Dwarf would pull a similar stunt. Maybe within the episode itself. Add to this the ease at which at least two of the cast (Rimmer and Kryten) could easily sacrifice themselves and be back when required.

There's no good reason to sacrifice the Cat, but Lister is a tricky one - the show kind of relies on him being alive. Having him die in order to resurrect humanity in some way would be a nice way to end the series (for now, until he 'gets better' in Series XI, which could also be the theme for the series... imagine a holographic Lister and a living Rimmer, it has to be done one day).

Given all the 'it shouldn't work, but does' chatter, I'm expecting just about anything right now. That's one of the best things about Red Dwarf, the show's just crazy enough to take these sorts of risks all in the name of entertainment, and the fans know that the show can dig itself out of any situation it finds itself in. I doubt people would be too upset :-)

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

G&T has noted that the final episode calls to mind something that occurs in Rob Grant's Red Dwarf novel Backwards. I don't want to spoil that book for people who haven't read it but I can say that that book deals extensively with flashbacks of a young Rimmer and his troubled childhood.

Of course there is also something rather more unpleasant that occurs at the end of the book...and which has never really sat comfortably with me.

The idea that Kochanski left the crew because she found out she was pregnant is certainly one I've thought about before. Maybe she didn't want to raise them around the alcoholic, falling to pieces guy that Lister had apparently become pre-BTE.

I think people are overthinking the "Why will Rimmer save the day" thing though. The trailers have made it pretty clear that its his military knowledge of battles and campaigns that they expect to save them from the Simulant fleet.

Regarding Rimmer though...it does seem safe to assume he is the character about to develop...and I smell a ret-con coming.

10. ShrunkenPixel

Chris Barrie made a statement about that?

I wasn't aware of that, but it does tie in to my theory that there will be multiple Rimmers in the episode. I can't see Barrie being able to get away with playing totally different roles since he's so well known, but multiple Rimmers would be easy to do. Having the original hologram return to Red Dwarf realising he's not cut out for all that 'Ace' lark, or maybe having the living Rimmer from "Only the Good" return, horribly mutated (like the rest of the crew) into Simulants because they weren't reproduced accurately leading to their bodies being unstable requiring extensive mechanical augmentation.

And if my Simulant theory is correct, this would create a weak-point in their collective hive-mind. One that only "our" Rimmer could truly exploit seeing as he resents himself more than any other living being.

11. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Well it would rely on plot points that haven't been revealed yet. It was more a theory based around the comments in the review than anything that's happened in the show itself.

12. MacabreMagpie

Honestly, I'd be hugely disappointed if the explanation for Rimmer coming back is just that he couldn't hack it and gave up. That would be so lazy.

I didn't know about the allusion to the Backwards novel, that's interesting... I'm even more convinced that the flashback will be to Rimmer's childhood, now.

13. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I hope not. I'd be sad to see them have to recast rimmer's mum/dad... obviously child rimmer will have to be recast to xD

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Maybe Lister himself becomes a Simulant....it might explain his hand after the misdirection of Epideme:

[​IMG]

15. ShrunkenPixel

Not necessarily. This would tie in to the "Judas" plot thread raised in "Lemons" - and it would be pretty funny if "Ace" Rimmer has been swanning around the galaxy all this time incapable of doing anything "Ace", only for "our" Rimmer to do something spectacular in "The Beginning" which gets mistakenly attributed to "Ace" :lol:

16. MacabreMagpie

It will be interesting to see which bit of 'Backwards' (the book) is drawn from in the episode. If it's the bit you were talking about at the end, bedfordfalls, then that never sat too well with me, either.

17. ShrunkenPixel

Now you mention it, for all we know Red Dwarf has been set in the 'opposite' universe. RDVIII ended with the crew alive and well in the 'opposite' universe, and it's never been officially stated whether they crossed back at some point or not. This would also mean that Hollister and the crew are the 'opposite' versions of the ones that fled Red Dwarf because the ship was being eaten by the microbe.

Presumably, there's still a living Rimmer somewhere in the 'prime' dimension as well as a holographic Rimmer that became Ace. The pieces are already in place for a potential sacrifice by Rimmer just before Lister goes "hang on a minute", finally remembering they're in the wrong dimension. That would mean they'd have to travel back, but how would they do this?

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

To be honest I cannot see this getting too bogged down in addressing old cliff-hangers. Surely that would be to the show's detriment? Alienating fans who may be watching RD for the first time in years & have no clue about what happened at the end of series 8.

19. MacabreMagpie

Well, believe it not, but it's perfectly possible to work a cliffhanger resolution into a story that does not alienate new fans. Plus, this series seems to be intentionally aimed at pleasing the old fans - most of whom want a conclusion to that cliffhanger - so it would be odd if they didn't address it. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

20. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Really? I'm an old fan, & it hasn't pleased me!!! :x