RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Yeah, a few people have said that we may be looking at the mirror universe they entered. I'm not so sure, it may play into it but we will see!

2. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I see your concern. That is a slight worry, given that RD episodes only run for 30 minutes so these resolutions can't be too drawn out or long-winded. They'll only really cause confusion if the explanations don't make sense without having seen Series VIII beforehand, but it's pretty easy to cover the essentials.

But there are precedents in Series X of continuing plot threads established in a single episode around 20 years ago - most notably that of Lister being his own father. As I've already seen "Ouroboros", the concept didn't exactly tie my mind in knots or appear so out of place and downright strange. It's impossible for me to really say for certain whether "Fathers and Suns" caused problems for new viewers - but if they can do that so successfully and elegantly with such a bizarre and mind-bending setup, the Series VIII cliffhanger situation shouldn't be too difficult.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Someone has pointed out that the scene with rimmer,lister and what looks like a simulant in the main credits may be the bit thats like the backwards novel

in the backwards novel lister shoots a hole in starbug which sucks the bad guy out

4. MacabreMagpie

It's kind of hilarious that simulant37 is even in this thread. Apparently it's not enough for him to hate the episodes themselves, he has to hate speculation on what might happen in them, too!

Speaking of which, so far we have the following as the most often-quoted ideas;

- Captain Hollister as the Simulant who boards the ship
    - The Simulants find Red Dwarf - either by tracking Hollister or maybe because of the Quantum Rod from Trojan
    - Resolution to series 8 cliffhanger
    - Which Rimmer we have will be revealed
    - Possible cameo by Kochanski (or maybe Holly? Has anyone considered that? Maybe Holly saves the day?)
    - Flashback involving no main cast members, possibly on Earth and to do with Rimmers childhood?
    - A plot element that borrows from the 'Backwards' novel
    - Maybe something to do with the mirror universe from 'Only The Good'

Honestly, if we're miles away then someone needs to write some fanfic, this sounds like a great episode!

5. MacabreMagpie

And I bet Seb is just dying to speak up, either way.

6. ShrunkenPixel

I did think that to be honest. Having read some posts around here that indicate Norman Lovett is back on speaking terms with Doug Naylor, and also some posts claiming we'll see a pixel or two of Holly in Series X, the possibility does exist that Norman and Doug may have made-up just in time for "The Beginning".

I hope so in any case :-)

7. MacabreMagpie

It'd be cool if the Dwarfers are saved from the jaws of death by an unknown technological force and then Holly zips onto the screen with an "Alright, dudes?"

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i don't think thats the case, in interviews the cast have spoken out saying norman isn't involved and not knowing why norman doesn't want to be involved

and that was in publicity interviews before the show aired

9. MacabreMagpie

Well, not to suggest that I think Holly WILL make an appearance, but that's what they'd say if it was a secret, surely? I mean the advantage they have is that everyone assumes he won't be in this series, so if they DID heal things over with Norm then it'd be the perfect time to make a surprise return. And they did the same with Kochanski in BTE.

Like I said though, I don't really think Holly WILL appear.

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

No I didn't.

11. ShrunkenPixel

Norman's fall-out with Grant Naylor Productions is pretty well-known. There could have remained for much of (if not all) the filming for Series X. What is known is that Norman and Doug are at least starting to move on from their differences, and are at least on speaking terms now. What we don't know is exactly when this started to take place, and whether there was enough time to actually involve Holly by that point.

Of course, bearing in mind that Norman, Doug and the cast realise we fans are familiar with Norman and Doug's fall-out, any possible surprise appearance will be a heavily guarded secret. Even to the point of cast members claiming not to have any news on the situation, or Norman stating his reconciliation with Doug as being more recent than it actually may have been.

This doesn't mean anything in and of itself, there may indeed be nothing to hide and the cast may be stating the 100% truth in regards to Series X... but it's always nice to hope, and would be amazing if they pulled something like this off :-)

12. MacabreMagpie

I was shortening a quote from yourself (that we won't necessarily learn from happened to the series 8 crew) with a quote from Doug (that we will find out with Rimmer it is in episode 6) for the sake of brevity, my apologies.

13. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

well in that case lister's arm could be messed up too... that robotic arm in future echoes could be one big change :-D

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Shortening a quote is different to misquoting someone. Which appears to be what you have done. . ."for the sake of brevity"?!? :roll:

15. MacabreMagpie

Well I'd actually already elaborated on both quotes in great detail somewhere around the same time, hence the "for brevity" part.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it sounds like norman is glad they are talking again which may mean he will be more willing to return if asked for a XI, even if he doesn't appear EP6

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Gerald Hampton made a post a couple of pages back referring to Chris saying something like that, yeah. :-) I guess we'll just have to wait 'till tomorrow and find out.

That could explain this scene (maybe).

18. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

[/quote]

I can't remember which interview it was in... might have been one of the davecasts?

19. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Maybe Lister's blase attitude while on the bunk is a kind of "you can't fire that in here as you'd decompress the ship" kind of bluff with the sim...who then calls it.

20. AceRenno

AceRenno Skutter

Evening all...Ive just come across this and not yet seen it mentioned on here yet...
    "Time to bid a fond farewell to the Red Dwarf
     crew again as their well-received comeback concludes. It doesn't quite end with a bang but it does have several big explosions as the boredom of deep space gets the gang into trouble with the deadly Simulants. It's up to Rimmer to save the day. A holographic message from his overbearing father gives him newfound inner strength in a very unexpected way as the shameful truth about his lineage is finally revealed.
    Phelim O'Neill, The Guardian, 5th November 2012"