RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. On4r4p

On4r4p Skutter

No kotchansky at all then ???
    hey ho pip and dandy moment ..

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Wow... that is some wonderful casting there for a young(er) Rimmer. :shock:

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I called it earlier in the thread that Hoguey the Rougey was a character in the movie originally given to Richard O'Callahan so it looks like the show is following the plot of the movie quite closely.

Dominator Zlurth!

I also called the introduction of a new Big Bad for the series and it looks like this is him!

I'm also going to restate my view that Earth is gone as an option for Lister. I thought this from the moment I saw that feather bowered nasty. I suspect the opening scenes will tell us exactly what's happened to it but I suspect some sort of war.

It looks like this setting is about to relaunch Red Dwarf into an entirely new, much more sci-fi oriented type of universe for future episodes. Maybe this is what it needs for Doug Nayor to truly write to his strengths.

Incidently, here's Simon Treves who plays "Lecturer Rimmer":

[​IMG]

yeah, that's pretty spot on I'd say if you compare him to this:
    [​IMG]

Do you think the revelation that impacts Rimmer's past might just be something as simple as Rimmer being regarded as a hero back on Earth possibly by his Father who he always assumed despised him?

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

is that the same guy as this? it says this is the guy whose in RDX, think you got the wrong guy

Simon_Treves

[​IMG]

5. bedfordfalls

Ah, you're right...the other chap is sadly deceased. Pity, as he was a dead ringer.

6. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Hogey the Roguey?? That sounds like something from a Fox Kids childrens show, it sounds really really silly and stupid but I'll wait for the episode to find out.

Plus: Why would Doug bring back an actor from the series that nearly everyone hates, BTE is probably the most disliked series and he brings back an actor from it, Doug "bad Choices" naylor strikes again

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Hogey the Roguey was a character from his movie script and Richard O'Callaghan came in to read for that character back when the movie was in the pipeline and everyone really liked what he did with the role but once making the movie fell flat and doug not being sure if we would get another series cast him in BTE

so basically this casting is what would have been the movie

and its hardly a bad choice you are just nit picking now and if you carry on doing that you will only be watching EP6 looking for problems and in that case you will probably find everything a problem

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You're talking utter rubbish.

9. bedfordfalls

Good job you decided to do that instead of say...coming on here and posting about how really really silly and stupid you think the character is going to be. Good call on not making yourself look like a fool before the event should it turn out the character is fantastic.

First of all, "nearly everyone" doesn't hate BTE. Secondly, your logic contains more holes than a pair of Lister's old socks.
    Disregarding the fact that O'Callahan was excellent in BTE and its the actor, not the character, that's being brought back, what a fool Doug Naylor was to bring back those failed actors Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John Jules and Robert Llewlyn...those guys were in that Back to Earth thing weren't they? What bad choices for series X! :roll:

10. bedfordfalls

Matching up the pictures with the one posted by Talkie it looks like "Lecturer Rimmer" is the blonde haired chap with the metal plate in his head standing to the side of Dominator Zlurth!

This seems to indicate that "Lecturer Rimmer" is a simulant...or at least whatever species these Borgesque characters are. I don't think it's Rimmer's Dad at all.

Much in the way that Lister talked in the last episode of having generations of offspring had he become a father I think we might be looking at the Rimmer family thousands of years down the line here...

Maybe the "Young Rimmer" isn't "young Arnold" after all.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]
    Dominator Zlurth and Chancellor Wednesday

on comedy.co.uk on the pictures it tells you who is who and none of them are labeled as Lecturer Rimmer :shock:

could lecturer Rimmer be his dad? or an ancester?

12. bedfordfalls

I wouldn't believe those captions. They look rather lazily slung together.

For example it also says that this picture is Dominator Zlurth when it's clearly the blonde guy:

[​IMG]

13. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

That young lad definitely looks on-target to eventually become the Rimmer we first met in "The End", in fact if this were a discussion about a Red Dwarf reboot with a new cast, (in between all the "please God, no!" that I'd usually spout) I'd actually be rather supportive in his case.

Only a couple of hours to go until we see if he has the acting chops to go with his appearance :-)

14. bedfordfalls

Yeah this guy definitely has the sticky out ears and potential flaring of nostrils required for a young Iron Balls. :lol:

I'm really intrigued to see how they are going to cram all of this into 30 minutes!

From what I gather from G&T's set report the stuff with the Dominator & co is just a setup in the opening five minutes...but the ramifications on the show's future are full of potential.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

isn't that alex hardy?

[​IMG]

Alex hardy twitter account

while dominator Zlurth is Gary Cady

[​IMG]

while this guys hairline doesnt quite match
    [​IMG]

16. bedfordfalls

This is all stupidly exciting. I can't believe I'm going out tonight and not watching it live!

Dave's website better not have crashed again when I get back....and they'd better not cut it off after the credits...as I hear there is something rather important to watch out for!

17. ShrunkenPixel

I'm rather intrigued with the metal plates:

[​IMG]

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but the position of those plates directly corresponds with Rimmer's "H", and it's interesting that (aside from those plates) these chaps look perfectly human unlike the Simulants we've seen. They're also "obviously evil" in the moustache-twirling way, so I'm guessing they're holograms aligned to the Simulants in some way, and that the "Rimmer saves the day" aspect directly links to him also being a hologram rather than any kind of heritage thing. Something about his upbringing will be important, but I'm starting to believe that it will only set the scene for Rimmer doing whatever he needs to do as a hologram.

18. bedfordfalls

Nice theory but the guy the the left of the Dominator is referred to as "big simulant advisor" so he does appear to be a simulant. I'm guessign these other guys are some sort of human/Sim hybrid akin to the Homo-Sapienoids of the movie.

Mankind is doomed.

19. ShrunkenPixel

I was convinced of this myself for quite a long while. Eventually I started playing that section frame-by-frame just to see if there's any kind of hint or clue buried there. I soon noticed this:

[​IMG]

Can't be absolutely sure, but that ship looks more plus-shaped (+) - nothing like the mining ship we've seen in the show for all these years. Red Dwarf is a very distinct shape which that isn't. Now, that doesn't preclude the shape not being an actual ship, just being a fluke natural shape generated by the explosion, but there are a few frames at the end of the sequence that clearly show whatever it is coming apart.

It could still be Red Dwarf from a really weird angle, or Red Dwarf surrounded by Simulant ships (altering the silhouette somewhat), or even a terraformed mining ship altered once again by nanobots... but right now I'm guessing we're being teased and hoodwinked just slightly here :lol:

20. AceRenno

AceRenno Skutter

i was thinking along the same lines...