RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

Even so, "big simulant advisor" doesn't automatically make him an actual Simulant, no more than a "dog breeder" is a dog. He's likely to be of the same 'race' as the others, but his allocated role may involve advising Simulants. It does confirm a link between the two, the Simulants possibly being some kind of brute force employed by these theoretical holograms to serve some purpose.

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

What about another twist, that Rimmer's dad is his dad, but his mother isn't but she brought him up anyway?

3. ShrunkenPixel

I don't know if this is relevant, but I found some information while Googling Rimmer's dad. I've never followed the novels, so I never knew this little bit of background information before (Source: reddwarf.wikia.com:-(

What we have here is a possible explanation of those metal plates those guys have on their foreheads, as well as a link back to Rimmer's dad being possibly responsible. It could just be pure irony that Rimmer, having been denied a plate of his own, ultimately wound up with a "H" in that same spot.

There's also supposedly a great deal of character development for Rimmer. I'd hazard a guess that Rimmer manages to either locate and obtain the (unfinished) chip his father created for him, or (because of some quality unique to him) is somehow compatible with the implants the other chaps are wearing. Interfacing the chip with his light bee he suddenly feels quite different, but the chip itself is flawed (developed by a Rimmer?) and isn't quite the blessing he expected it to be. Nontheless Arnold stubbornly retains the upgrade because through it he feels it gives him an ideal opportunity to better himself... but it won't be easy.

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Definitely is a dead... Ringer :/ rip.

How's this "haven't reported for duty in. 3m years, well I've been dead for MOST of those..." So he hasn't been dead for all of them, so could still be new rimmeer.

Then again alive rimmer did report for duty until he was imprisoned.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Okay so after seeing those new pics I think it was fairly obvious that the Hollister Simulent theory was wrong. Unless...how can I put this in tactfully?...Unless Mac had lost a considerable amount of weight in recent years. It was a great theory though. :-)

I'm intrigued and quite excited to finally get to see the famous Hogey the Rogey after hearing bits and pieces about his character in the movie script. This is certainly looking like it may be quite an explosive episode. :-D

6. ShrunkenPixel

Another angle on this - I'm fairly certain that in a number of cast photos I've seen, Mac McDonald is actually rather tall. Not absolutely massive, but a respectable 6ft 0in. Chris Barrie on the other hand is 5ft 11in. That means that Hollister should be taller than Rimmer; maybe not by a huge margin but he should definitely be taller.

One of those pictures seems to show the Simulant being clearly shorter than Rimmer, which is at odds with how it should be :shock:

7. dodgebizkit

Bogey hogey could still be holster :P

8. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I now don't think the simulant is Hollister and this makes me sad.

9. MacabreMagpie

Not in a way that's spoiling my anticipation for the episode or anything, mind! Have a feeling it's going to be a good 'un.

10. ShrunkenPixel

Has anyone noticed that the top-most sticky thread is from the future, apparently it will be created at some point tomorrow and travel back in time for us all to read a whole day early :lol:

In any case, this long-running thread will be obselete in around an hour when the final episode of Red Dwarf X is aired. It's been a good thread, it will be sad to see it go :crying:

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Only in 'merican. Not in English.

12. MacabreMagpie

Too true! It's been a joy theorising with you lot. Here's hoping we'll be doing this in anticipation of series 11 before too long.

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing - Hollister was definitely NOT in this episode.

But it was fun to speculate, wasn't it? right? :P

14. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

Yeah, it was fun - and Hoagie was the funniest non-main character this series IMO, so no harm done.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Nah, this thread will now be a time capsule to the best Red Dwarf episode never written, featuring a Borg like former Crew led by deranged cyborg Hollister leading a race of Hologramatic Simulants to wipe out Red Dwarf after having destroyed planet Earth. :lol:

On a more serious note, what the hell was Craig blathering on about Hollister for in that interview and what was that review blathering on about with the "Star Trek 2" stuff? :?

16. MacabreMagpie

Ha! I have no idea and yes, best episode never written, is that. Maybe someone will poke this thread in Dougs direction (ahem Seb!). Just kidding ;-)

Although we were wrong about Hollister, it seemed like we did have a lot of correct ideas in the mixing pot;

- Flashback featuring young Rimmer and his father (though not on Earth)
    - The possible revelation that he was not actually his father
    - Simulants would find Red Dwarf by tracking the rogue droid
    - 'Hogey The Roguey' might be the droid

17. ShrunkenPixel

I wouldn't even call those 'fan-splosion' :-)

In my short stay here, I reckon I've only seen about 12 unique usernames. There aren't a great deal of people posting in this section for some strange reason, and the ones complaining and starting all this 'outcry' nonsense and derailing threads are the clear minority. And I'm guessing it's the same people complaining about "slag" and Taiwan Tony. The rest of us took those things as adults, with tongue firmly in cheek.

This isn't representative of the entire fandom. I highly doubt there's more than about two people the whole world over that could actually, hand-on-heart, say they were genuinely offended by those things. Some people just seem to love finding things to complain about.

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I have to say I remain rather un-sploded. It was a good episode but certainly not the canon shattering extravaganza some of Seb's statements led me to believe it might be.

Yet have you noticed that its not actually those who objected to these issues in the first place that keep raising it in unrelated topics, but instead those who are seemingly on a mission to deny those people the right to feel that way and/or pretend that its simply not true.
    Be careful not to fall into the pattern of becoming one of those people...they certainly aren't behaving like adults.

No, it isn't representative of the entire fandom. Nothing is in any kind of fandom. However it's equally naive to believe that "about two people the whole world over" disliked these elements appearing in the show. Many, MANY people outside this forum have blogged about it, noted it in reviews, discussed it in podcasts and tweeted about it. I wonder why you find it such a struggle to believe this. Can it really be that prominent Red Dwarf fan sites, members of the Red Dwarf fan club and numerous reviewers and fans of the show just "seem to love finding things to complain about" or do you think its maybe more likely that they actually love the show and don't like it when that show does they things they find distasteful?

On a basic level, it's really no different to the people who dislike series 8. Part of the reason that gets so much hatred among a section of the fanbase, isn't just because it's considered a below average series, its because (in the eyes of its detractors) it dilutes and cheapens something they care passionately about.

I think its time people started accepting this instead of making rather naively worded accusations that people are complaining about nothing or somehow trying to cause trouble. People are complaining because they care.

19. dodgebizkit

Probably watching it in the recording sessions and holding it in for so long made it seem different from Seb's perspective to ours. Also it's possible there was something big that was cut. Especially as apparently someone mentioned that Craig spoke about "that scene with Hollister" (LINK? :-) ) although that may have been a deliberate Red herring.

20. ShrunkenPixel

A couple of months ago, me and the entirety of the Doctor Who fan-base went through something similar. A couple of hundred individuals had the chance to see Asylum of the Daleks early. They really didn't want to disappoint Steven Moffat (the producer of Doctor Who), but were under extreme pressure because the fan-base kept on badgering them. In the couple of weeks that followed there were hundreds of fake spoilers unleashed on us.

And, just like what happened with The Beginning, a whole lot of us grew attached to these fake spoilers and wove speculation around them to the point where the actual televised episode felt a total let-down in comparison.

Right now I'm starting to believe that when select groups get early access to any television screening or recording, most of what leaks onto the internet in the form of spoilers or titbits is in fact fake, designed to throw us completely off the scent, while being a 'bone' for those who keep badgering.