RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

The issue I'm pointing out here is that, in reality the majority of people probably watched those episodes and didn't find anything wrong with them at all. Coming online, they suddenly find that certain things just keep being raised over and over, by a small group of people. At this point three things can occur:

- The person just doesn't give a smeg, and ignores the fuss
    - The person suddenly realises the problem now that it's been clearly fingered
    - The person doesn't understand what all the fuss is about and thinks people are just moaning for moaning's sake

Two of those possibilities result in that person being (forcefully?) pulled into taking one side or the other in the argument, regardless of whether they had any actual opinion on the matter beforehand. This is how things get pulled totally out of proportion. Sure, people have problems with things, but there's no need to derail so many threads making the same point in each. That sort of behaviour is what causes others to (maybe incorrectly) classify it as trolling, getting fed up with the whole issue, since a whole lot of people would prefer to discuss the good things rather than have these points (valid or not) become the one thing Red Dwarf X boils down to.

When you have the "Episode 5 - Dear Dave" thread (an episode which didn't feature TT), and the "Hogey...a future regular?" thread no longer concerned with Hogey the Roguey but (you guessed it) TT, there's a problem. It would have been much better to have simply had a "Do you think Taiwan Tony is offensive?" thread instead of derailing at least two (three if you count this) threads simply to reiterate how annoyed you are (or not) about the inclusion of a comedy vending machine.

Nobody's saying that people can't have their say - but you will get people adding comments to those discussions simply because they're annoyed at reading about the same problems again and again. As far as I see it, legitimate discussion is being silenced simply because some folks are too obsessed with TT. Having a dedicated thread would solve all these issues.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You realise, of course that you are talking to the person who created the Hogey thread and was quite annoyed to see it derailed in such a manner. If you read it you'll see how I quickly tried to diffuse discussion of it when Simulant broached it by dismissing the comparison to Hogey as foolish.

That appeared to be that and the conversation had moved back on track until it was suddenly resurrected by a poster named....oh, 'ShrunkenPixel'. :eek:ops:

See what I mean about being careful not to do what you reproach others for doing? The majority of these threads are being derailed and turned back to that subject, not by the people who were originally bothered by the issues but by people who are intent on saying "and another thing!", long after the argument has reached its natural conclusion.

3. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I'm sure you've noticed, a whole lot of my replies are lengthy. They can take ages to write. Every time (every single time) I replied on those subjects, the conversation was very soundly in TT territory when I pressed the "quote" or "reply" button. The problem is, as things usually go, the situation is all but guaranteed to get diffused just before I finish typing up my epic post and hit the "Post" button... triggering it all off again.

Rediculous, but true :lol:

Looking at that thread I do see what you mean. That was my first post relating to "offence" and "Taiwan Tony", before I even realised there was a genuine problem. Before that point I'd previously seen Simulant make similar jabs and remarks towards other things, and believed that he was either doing the same here or was just plain confused. By that point I was already used to how Simulant typically behaves, but still found his comment rather odd :eek:ops:

4. bedfordfalls

Just thinking about it the naming of 'Lecturer Rimmer' instead of 'Rimmer's father' was a blatant clue, wasn't it!

Why didn't we pick up on that?

5. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

That wasn't what lead to the conclusion, but it was speculated that Rimmer's dad wasn't his father by a few people, though I never believed it from the speculation tbh and cottoned on to the possibility just before rimmer put the holomessage on.

6. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

Re-watching Trojan after The Beginning, there's a bit of foreshadowing, with Cat and Kryten being incredulous that [at the very least Frank and John Rimmer] managed to advance to Captains of quantum twisters with "the same genes as Rimmer".

Also, there's a bit of inconsistency, with Rimmer calling himself "First Tech, Maintenance Division" in this episode, but explicitly being a Second Technician in Dear Dave and The Beginning.

7. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I wondered about that. Perhaps he is the 1st member of the Maintenence division, but still a 2nd technician.

For example it could run like this...

TECHNICIANS

Technical officer: boss.
    IT DEPARTMENT
    1st technician - Andy, the techie
    MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT
    2nd Technician - Rimmer, the repairman.
    3rd Technician - Lister, scum.

8. bedfordfalls

Rimmer was a first technician in the books. Perhaps he's been demoted at some point as he does say "Former first tech" in Trojan.

Of course the real answer is probably that Doug or Chris messed up as its already been claimed that the "third technician of my dreams line" from Entangled needed a dub to fix it after the wrong level was spoken by Chris.

9. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

why dont we just add a spoiler thingee,maybe you type something like~~[/spoiler]insert spoiler
    ~~when your making your post so when someone reads your post with the spoiler they just click on a link that says "spoiler click here to show/hide" and it opens a box with your spoiler in it
    it also could make games with posts,you click one of many links and one says "winner",

JUST AN IDEA

10. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Oh, right, because I forgot there are more episodes to be shown.

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I thought this entire thread was a spoiler.

12. p3r1d0t

p3r1d0t First Technician

yeah,but it could help for other rdx threads and might even be an acception to the spoiler policy which i kinda like bacause ive recently seen ep4-6.the thing is ,i dont see a reason why this wouldnt work.

13. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

question:
    Was the "You keeled my brother" at the end of the The Beginning, was that Hogey or was that his actual brother (as the Wiki page suggests).

I always assumed Hogey somehow got out but maybe not

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i assume it was Hogey

15. dodgebizkit

me too - look at the end credits.

16. danam22315

danam22315 Second Technician

There is a forum for the pc game L.A. Noire (www.la-noire.net) that uses tags to black out spoilers. They use a rollover to reveal the blacked-out part.

It is now march 20,2013. Has everyone seen Series X? Good! I just watched it on Youtube the other night. I think the short rouge one is getting better. I still miss Holly though. I really wish he'd come back!

Maybe we could start a leaflet campaign.:-) Just an idea.:-)

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i suspect norman would be willing to return to play holly even though he said he was done with the show, seems his autobiography is no longer gonna be released and he thought Series X was decent.

i would say its a shame after his attitude towards the show in the past that he could probably get asked back and hattie most likely won't.

norman is a good holly but still

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

We do not NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED Norman! :x

19. dodgebizkit

I do :eek:ops:

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would still love to see Norm returnuth. RD feels a bit odd without a Holly.

And Skutters. I want skutters, darn it!

:-)