RDX Official Spoilery Thread

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Those pictures are really odd and bring up a lot of questions to speculate over:

Why is everyone in uniform?
    Who is that woman and, most surprisingly, is she alive and how will this be explained (hopefully NOT nanobots!)
    Why all the goofy faces?

My other concern with this episode stems from its Lister subplot and the continuity of precisely HOW he is doing what it is that he is doing. If it's what I think it is then this, unfortunately, smells of Doug Naylor's lack of respect for logic/continuity and I hope its not going to turn into another talking point like the mirror universe/timedrive shenanigans of series VII and VIII.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

thats lack of faith in doug naylor right there ;-)

some of the theorys i heard that maybe she was in stasis or maybe she is an andriod, but who knows

i doubt its nanobots

hologramme problems maybe?

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here, but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I really cannot fathom what the problem is.

4. bedfordfalls

Well I was originally a little concerned about the mechanics of it when I read the plot synopsis, then I read this comment on G&T:

Now I can only conclude that Lister does indeed....roundhouse kick a simulant! :shock:

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

bedfordfalls have you been on the Marijuana Gin again?

unless you are trying to say how can listers subplot work when they are 3 million years into deep space

6. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i'm thinking just gin, that's an insult to marijuana :P

7. bedfordfalls

That and the presumed extinction of much of humanity...although I suppose the idea of nobody telling the Androids in question to stop production, ala Robert Tevis novel Mockingbird could be a suitably bleak sci-fi idea. I guess the real problem would be how long you'd have to wait for delivery!

8. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I very much like those pictures. The Kryten ones in particular give me new hope for that mask, as the mask doesn't seem as bad in these. :-D

9. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Nice to read the Den of Geek review... just totally copying the set review from Ganymede and Titan! Did this person actually watch episode one?

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yes. You can tell by virtue of the fact that he makes reference to things that are only seen/heard in the actual final episode cut.

He was at at least one of the recordings, too (I saw and spoke to him at one - ep six, I think it might have been).

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i have to say after reading the digispy synopsis for the series 10 episodes one thing you can't fault doug on is the storys

12. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Guessing everyone's seen this - and I feel like Kryten feeling all guilty over posting this lol - but it's digital spy article and photos on red dwarf X and very spoilery photos.

Link

13. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

What's the ship that they're on with the gray corrdors? I would assume they were on the SS Trojan but a clip from the trailer of Rimmer inserting a rod into a machine that I heard was from Lemons clearly uses the same set so I thought it might be the Blue Midget or Starbug. Or is it the same set for both ships, just lit differently?

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You might not want to always pay attention to what you've "heard". There's all manner of misinterpretation and incorrect assumption going around. In this case, you're clearly questioning the wrong part of the story.

15. bedfordfalls

All new synopses for all six episodes have appeared with all new details and explodey bits:

http://www.ganymede.tv/2012/09/all-six-episode-synopses-released/

I'm suddenly much more interested in the 'Dear Dave' episode. That sounds VERY season 2ish and brings to mind Thanks for the memory and other classic pieces where the comedy has the chance to be balanced with pathos.

All in all, I think all six episodes sound like they have the potential for truly great RD stories here and they seem to be well paced with 'adventure of the week' style ones and character based stuff.

16. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

All 6 of them sound fantastic. Absolutely FANTASTIC. :-D

17. bedfordfalls

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/912468-red-dwarf-first-episode-pictures-released-ahead-of-series-launch

Metro have given away a MASSIVE spoiler with news of a new character: "The hologram, Dave Rimmer"!

:eek:ops:

I think we might need a new thread just to mock media buffoonery in before long.

18. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would just like to say that I'm extremely excited about this new series. And if that comes across as too optimistic for some of you, well, tough! ;-)

Seriously though, I've just given all the trailers and clips a watch back and I'm getting a very good feel about the whole thing now, even if some of you may not be at this point (which is fair enough).

Also, I'm loving the fact that the Trojan set appears to be somewhat reminiscent of the old-style military/ocean grey RD sets :-)

19. bedfordfalls

The new extra long episode synopses have my speculation drive in overload!

Trojan

We knew that the new series began with Arnie trying to take the Astro-engineering exam again but I never realised it would become such a crucial plot point. It has me wondering what Howard's dilemma actually is and at what point in the episode we finally get to meet him. Perhaps the uniforms we see them all wearing are some sort of attempt by Rimmer to trick him...and we still don't know who that bloody woman is!

Fathers and Sons

The expansion on this really males it sound like a classic season 2 episode, even the sub-plot recalls classics like Queeg and White Hole...although some will no doubt use this as an excuse to bash Doug for "recycling old plots" even though it appears to be nothing of the kind.

Lemons

So we now know the locations of where the Dwarfers go in this episode and not just the period in history. The world and its wife seems to have figured out who the famous person they meet is long ago (unless its all a massive red herring) but it will be interesting finding out how.
    "Returner remote"...hmm. My only hope for this episode is that it has a strong logical and scientific basis for the time travel aspect. Any episode involving time travel MUST specify why they don't use it to permanently get home, otherwise you can have a brilliant episode like Tikka to ride spoiled by gaps in logic that are too large to overcome.
    I'm not exactly filled with hope by Doug having to ask on Twitter about the whole battery concept but I'm hoping that this isn't indicative of the science in the rest of the show. I know that the matter paddle was a bit of a handwave but actual time travel needs a bit more explaining. Hopefully its just destroyed come the end of the episode.

Entangled

The new information while having a bit of a 'blackadder' style vibe to its humour might draw accusations of puerility from some but in reality it fits in very much with early Dwarf humour provided that the delivery is in the implication and not the visuals!
    The concept of Rimmer having to hand himself over to save Lister is one that should play well on the Rimmer/Lister dynamic.

Dear Dave

I'm guessing this is season X's 'bottle show'. It was the one I was least looking forward too initially as the love triangle story had the potential to be very series 1 or very series 8 depending on how it was handled.
    However the concept of Lister getting a letter from an old flame and he and Rimmer having to hunt through the mail to find out the truth sounds very Thanks for the memory to me and there is the opportunity for this to be quite poignant. I wonder if Rimmer won't even do something slightly noble in it.

The Beginning

Not much new info here, other than the 'hiding in an asteroid' bit which most have presumed means 'asteroid belt' but I'm wondering about given that Red Dwarf does, after all have an 'asteroid' attached to it.

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The thought occurs that the very reason they are stranded in 23 AD implies that something about said time machine doesn't work which in itself could be reason enough for it to be never used again given risks involved.